Re: [DNS] Expired .com domains released when ?

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 14:25:15 +0100
Registrar's get a 45 day grace period from the registry in which they can
delete a name and get a refund on the 1 year auto-renewal which occurs at
the expiry date.  As noted below, many registrars do no make full use of
this grace period and choose to send the deletion request to the registry
after 30 days.  Once this occurs, the name is then moved into Redemption
period for a further 30 days in which it can be recovered by the former
registrar.  After that period elapses the domain then enters the pending
delete status which usually lasts for 5 days.  Therefore in most cases,
a .com will be deleted somewhere between 65-90 days after it's expiry date,
assuming of couse it is not renewed.

You should check the registry whois (www.verisign-grs.com) to check the
status of the name.  Note that the expiry date listed here will include
the 1 year of autorenewal so if it shows 2004, and it's within 45 days past
the expiry date, then that doesn't necessarily mean that the name is not
going to be deleted.  If the status says redemption period then it's within
that 30 day period.  If it says pending delete then it's going to be deleted
within at most the next 5 days.

Hope this helps

jon