RE: [DNS] James Guy is off the DNS list

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:12:02 +1000
From: Phil Wright [mailto:newsstuff&#167;network.au.com]
> Sent: 12 September 2003 12:06 PM

> James may not have asked the questions in a diplomatic way but I am
> inclined to agree with the notion of greater public accountability from
> the public non-profit body that purports to be "... vested with the
> responsibility of operating the .au domain for the benefit of all
> stakeholders."
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Wright

Phil

Good point re the notion.

Add to this notion that:

- the .au ccTLD is a public resource

- its functions must be administered in the public or common interest

- management and administration of the .au ccTLD are subject to the ultimate
authority of the Commonwealth of Australia.

(See Alston, R., Letter to Chairman of au Domain Administration from Minister
for Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, Dec 2000,
www.auda.org.au/docs/Endorse_Letter_Final.html (accessed 12 Sep 2003))

- Federal legislation vested reserve powers for management of electronic
addressing and competition in the ACA and ACCC, respectively

- auDA, ACCC and Australian Communications Authority (ACA) have co-regulatory
responsibilities in relation to .au ccTLD.

(See also Alston, R., Telecommunications Legislation Amendment Bill 2000:
Executive Memorandum,
http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/ems/0/2000/0/0642440972.htm (accessed 12 Sep
2003) and Telecommunications Legislation Amendment Act 2000,
http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/comact/10/6264/top.htm (accessed 12 Sep 2003)).

Ian Johnston