Re: [DNS] ICANN demands halt to .com,.net wildcards

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 10:05:10 +0200
Quoting message from Friday October 03, 2003:

|   For all these reasons, ICANN has today insisted that VeriSign suspend the
|   SiteFinder service, and restore the .com and .net top-level domains to the
|   way they were operated prior to 15 September 2003. If VeriSign does not
|   comply with this demand by 6:00 PM PDT on 4 October 2003, ICANN will be
|   forced to take the steps necessary to enforce VeriSign's contractual
|   obligations.

VeriSign has obliged:

   VeriSign Site Finder Service Update
   http://www.verisign.com/corporate/news/2003/pr_20031003.html

   VeriSign Will Temporarily Suspend Web Navigation Service in Order to
   Continue to Work With Internet Community Towards a Long-Term
   Implementation

   MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA - October 03, 2003 - VeriSign, Inc. (Nasdaq: VRSN), the
   leading provider of critical infrastructure services for the Internet and
   telecommunications networks, today announced that it will temporarily
   suspend its Site Finder, a new service to improve Web navigation for
   Internet users.

   "Without so much as a hearing, ICANN today formally asked us to shut down
   the Site Finder service. We will accede to the request while we explore
   all of our options," said Russell Lewis, executive vice president of
   VeriSign's Naming and Directory Services Group. "During the more than two
   weeks that Site Finder has been operational, there is no data to indicate
   that the core operation of the Domain Name System or stability of the
   Internet has been adversely affected. ICANN is using anecdotal and
   isolated issues to attempt to regulate non-registry services, but in the
   interests of further working with the technical community we will
   temporarily suspend Site Finder."

   Launched September 15, Site Finder provides useful tools for Internet
   users who mistype a domain name or attempt to connect to a web site that
   doesn't exist. Instead of receiving a cryptic error message, users receive
   a Web page that offers a search box, a "Did You Mean?" listing of similar
   domain names, and a listing of popular categories related to the search
   request. Through Thursday, Oct. 2, Site Finder has been used more than 40
   million times by Internet users to get where they want to go online.

   "The service has been well received by millions of Internet users who
   appreciate getting navigation tools as opposed to the 'dead end' of an
   error message," added Lewis.

   VeriSign announced on September 23 that it has established a Technical
   Review Panel comprised of Internet community leaders to help gather and
   analyze feedback about Site Finder. That panel will assist VeriSign in the
   long-term implementation of Site Finder.

   "The next several weeks will be a test as to whether innovation will occur
   within the Internet infrastructure. The fact is that while the Internet
   has been used for innovative purposes over the last decade, the core
   infrastructure has suffered from a lack of innovation," said Lewis.
   "VeriSign will argue vigorously for innovation because it not only
   improves the Internet user experience but has implications for the
   vitality of the DNS system and economic competitiveness and job growth."

   About VeriSign
   VeriSign, Inc. (Nasdaq: VRSN), delivers critical infrastructure services
   that make the Internet and telecommunications networks more intelligent,
   reliable and secure. Every day VeriSign helps thousands of businesses and
   millions of consumers connect, communicate, and transact with confidence.
   Additional news and information about the company is available at
   www.verisign.com.