No consumer benefit in wholesale price cut

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:02:10 +0200
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,7479977%5E15318%5E%5Enbv%5E15306,00.html

    DOMAIN name  sellers look set  to sit on a  10 per cent  discount on
    wholesale costs handed  to them last week, rather  than pass savings
    on to customers.

    The  operator   of  Australia's   central  domain   name  databases,
    AusRegistry, last  week started cutting  its wholesale prices  by 10
    per cent as  part of its contract with the  self-regulatory body .au
    Domain Authority (auDA).

    AusRegistry  committed to  reducing the  wholesale price,  which for
    most names  is about $50, including  cutting the $11 auDA  fee by $5
    once 350,000 .au names were registered. Last week it hit that mark.

    usw.

Amongst other things, "I would be surprised if any of the serious
players cut their prices." How sad that the measure of a serious player
is they are not willing to pass on any of a 10% wholesale price cut.

I sincerely hope Melbourne IT is making a substantial profit already
with a $140 slug for a .com.au, despite the claim "The margins are
pretty tight anyway". Would passing on some or all of $5 gift they have
just been given be suicide?

kim