Re: [DNS] SMH article on id.au

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:16:39 +1100 (EST)
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Marty Drill - Domain Candy wrote:

 > Some of you will have already seen this as the links came from AusRegistry.
 > For the rest of you, short article on id.au
 >
 > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/22/1079823297760.html

I read this one in the SMH 'Next' segment actually.  One quote:

"The .au Domain Administration (auDA) last year began pushing internet
names ending in "id.au". The so-called "identification" names are the
only internet addresses of their type that are open to individuals
without a registered business name."

It seems AusRegistry are still maintaining the fiction, unless you give
some interpretation to the phrase "of their type", that no other domains
are available to bodies not having an ABN.  This is false, at least in
the case of .asn.au domains, which are available to clubs, that is
unincorporated associations, most (all?) of which will have no ABN.

I pointed this out a couple of years ago, when I had to struggle to have
AusRegistry put "and special interest clubs" back into their .asn.au
eligibility blurb, so it matched the AuDA published .asn.au policy.

AusRegistry's "webname" .id.au page still falsely states:

"it is the only webname that does not require the Registrant (webname
licensees*) to be a commercial entity."

Cheers, Ian