Re: [DNS] List rules

From: Greg <globalhippie§gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:47:01 +1000
Barry

You may want to get some actual legal advice on that rather than just
the advice of the administration officer at the OFT. I know i have
spoken to many a govt employee who says one thing then another
employee will say something totally different. Most don't know the
location of their own backside so law is not going to be their
speciality.

Quoted from the Business Names Act 1962.

Definition "business name" means a name, style, title, or designation
under which a
business is carried on.

I would call the large wording at the top of your website a "Title"
and it is the same as your domain name.

Section 5 Certain business names to be registered
(1) A person shall not either alone or in association with other persons
carry on business in the State under a business name unless—
(a) the business name consists of the name of that person and the
name of each other person (if any) in association with whom that
person is so carrying on business without any addition; or
(b) the business name is registered under this Act in relation to that
person and each other person (if any) in association with whom
that person is so carrying on business;

I have serched your complete site and i can not find any information
stating that you are trading under your own name. The business appears
to me to be trading under the name "Australian Websites".

You may have your name on the invoices for payment but you are
solicting the sale via the name "Australian Websites" which is a
breach of the act. There is no provision within the act that allows
you to call yourself whatever you want so long as you use your name to
finalise the transaction.

Regards