[DNS] Time for therulestochangeregardingtransferringdomainnamelicences

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:25:41 +1000
Tony Owen wrote:
> Personally, I think a transfer fee (picking a random number ... > $50)
would
> stop a whole heap of these scams, and the revenue could be used to reduce
> the cost of the base registration fee.

In an *efficent* secondary market, transaction costs should be as low as
possible, cost-based (auDA and/or Registrar transfer fee) and determined by
competing market participants (eg Registrars).  Registrars may bundle
different levels of marketing services with transfer services.

Scams are probably best dealt with by other measures, desirably put in place
by auDA, but if need be by the co-regulator (ACCC) and/or specific Federal
legislation with provision for penalties.

Ian Johnston