[DNS] Domain registration for non-incorporated entities

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 01:05:54 +1100 (EST)
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Leefe Hicks wrote:

 > Is it possible for not-incorporated entities to register an
 > Australian domain name?

Yes.

 > The committee of a university club is interested in registering an
 > Australian domain for the clubs web sites, most likely a '.org.au'
 > domain.

Not sure if .org.au still allows unincorporated associations (clubs)
but .asn.au certainly does.  See the .asn.au eligibility requirements on
AuDA's website.  The registrant has to warrant that it is a club.

 > The club is not an incorporated entity and so does not have an
 > incorporation number (or an ABN, etc).  It is a club under the SRC or
 > Student Union (not sure the exact details).
 >
 > Can this club register an Australian domain?

Yes.

 > Any advice about this situation?

If you strike a registrar that doesn't provide an 'N/A' option for ABN
for .asn.au club registrations on their form, try another registrar.

 > Yes, I could tell them to just register an international domain, but
 > they are interested in an Australian domain to encourage Australian
 > participation in their activities.

Surely.

Cheers, Ian