[DNS] domain name, WSIS & governance news - 20 January

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:40:01 +1100 (EST)
Check out http://auda.org.au/domain-news/dn-news for
the latest domain news. By close of business Melbourne
time on 23 January, a more recent edition of the news
should be posted to the auDA web site.

The domain name news is supported by auDA.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ask Vint Cerf: The Road Ahead for Top-Level Domains

http://www.circleid.com/posts/ask_vint_cerf_the_road_ahead_for_top_level_domains/

Two Tim Lehnerts, but only one dotcom address By Tim
Lehnert
 http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0118/p18s06-hfes.html

UN sets up global governance forum

http://smh.com.au/news/breaking/un-sets-up-global-governance-forum/2006/01/18/1137467026180.html

****************
DOMAIN NAMES
****************
au/us: Ugg: How a minnow put the boot into a fashion
giant (free for 3 days, till ~20 January)
The classic Australian sheepskin boot is a favourite
with film stars and pop divas. Now its manufacturers
have won a David and Goliath-style battle with an
American corporation to call their footwear by the
name it is known worldwide. ... In early 2004, in the
middle of the European winter, Deckers sent letters to
20 Australian firms, informing them that it owned all
rights to Ugg and ordering them to stop using it. Tony
Mortel "just laughed... I thought they were crazy. I
threw it in the bin". But soon afterwards, at the
instigation of Deckers, Mortels Sheepskin Factory was
ejected from eBay, the internet auction site where it
had been selling uggs to American shoppers. It was
ordered by Icann, the internet regulatory body, to
stop using ugg in its domain name.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/australasia/article339300.ece

Ask Vint Cerf: The Road Ahead for Top-Level Domains
As most readers are no doubt aware, when it comes to
the topic of TLDs, ICANN takes center stage. From the
existing .com and .net TLDs to the newly introduced
and future releases, in the past years we witnessed
the increasing level of discussions around Top-Level
Domains painted?ever so often?with political, legal
and technical debates. Vint Cerf, Google?s VP and
Chief Internet Evangelist, who has served as chairman
of the board of ICANN since the November of 1999 has
accepted CircleID?s invitation to directly respond to
your questions on the topic.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/ask_vint_cerf_the_road_ahead_for_top_level_domains/

cn: Ucloo files lawsuit against domain registration
company
Ucloo Online Inc. has decided to file a lawsuit
against a domain name registration service provider
over its blocked domain "ucloo.cn".

http://english.people.com.cn/200601/19/eng20060119_236754.html

uk: BBC stockpiles web addresses
The BBC is building a huge stockpile of internet
domain names not related to bbc.co.uk, its principal
website address.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1690159,00.html

Domain Name Containing Trademark Translation is
Determined Confusingly Similar
Interesting WIPO case: Complainant (Saint-Exupery
estate) owns "Le Petit Prince" in EU, US, and other
countries. The translation of "Le Petit Prince" is
"The little prince". Respondent registered
'thelittleprince.com'. Is such a domain name
confusingly similar to the trademark?

http://www.circleid.com/posts/domain_name_containing_trademark_translation/

us: Web name forfeited in plea deal
The owner of an Internet site who was jailed on
obscenity charges will turn over the Web domain name
to the Polk County Sheriff's Office in a plea
agreement that keeps him out of prison.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/southwest/orl-pornguy1406jan14,0,4793680.story

ICANN GNSO Council Report to the ICANN Board
ICANN is posting - for information - the GNSO report
to the ICANN Board (PDF) on the GNSO's 'Recommendation
for a Procedure for Handling Conflicts between a
Registrar/Registry's Legal Obligations under Privacy
Laws and their Contractual Obligations to ICANN'. The
policy recommendation was developed by the Whois Task
Force of the GNSO and approved by a supermajority vote
by the GNSO Council. The Whois Task Force also
developed a set of advice to ICANN staff to guide the
development of the procedure. If the policy
recommendation is approved by the Board, the Board
will direct ICANN staff to develop, with the GNSO
Council, a procedure which would handle any future
conflicts in this area.

http://icann.org/announcements/announcement1-18jan06.htm

ICANN Preliminary Task Force Report on the Purpose of
Whois and of the Whois Contacts
The "Preliminary Task Force Report on the Purpose of
Whois and of the Whois Contacts" has been posted for
comment at
<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/prelim-tf-rpt-18jan06.htm>
( PDF). The comment period will be from 19 January
2006 to 8 February 2006. Comments may be submitted to
<whois-comments&#167;icann.org> . Comments will be archived
at <http://forum.icann.org/lists/whois-comments/> .

http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-18jan06.htm

New gTLDs -- auctions by Susan Crawford
ICANN's newest board member is looking for comments so
that she can understand the arguments about auctions
better.

http://scrawford.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/1/17/1682410.html

in: Afilias Ltd enhances registry services
Afilias Limited, a fully integrated global provider of
domain name registry services, today announced it had
enhanced its registry services in support of the .in
domain to deliver faster, more robust services in
India.

http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=88554

in: UltraDNS Expands DNS Infrastructure to India
UltraDNS today announced the extension of its global
infrastructure with a node deployment in India. This
expansion of the UltraDNS Directory Services Platform
significantly enhances the online experience for more
than 39 million Internet users in India. The
deployment enables improved performance, security and
reliability as users access the millions of domains