[DNS] domain name news - 3 April

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 17:35:18 +1000 (EST)
Hi all

There have been some minor changes to the domain news.
>From now, when I post to the list, the next edition of
the news will have already been posted to the auDA
website, so to see the most recent edition, go to
http://auda.org.au/domain-news/

Also, a suggestion from one reader - I've deleted the
space appearing between the left side of the message
and the URL. This will result in the gap between the
story intro and the URL disappearing.

OK, happy reading.

Cheers
David

Check out http://auda.org.au/domain-news/ for the most
recent edition of the domain news.

The domain name news is supported by auDA.

****************
DOMAIN NAMES
****************
au: Coonan concerned about porn domain
The federal government says it is not convinced of the
need for a new Internet address for adult content.
http://zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/Coonan_concerned_about_porn_domain/0,2000061791,39248651,00.htm

au: Australia wants .xxx domain on hold
Senator Helen Coonan has weighed into the simmering
debate over a new .xxx adult content domain name,
calling for its creation to be delayed until the
benefits are proven.
http://smh.com.au/news/breaking/australia-wants-xxx-domain-on-hold/2006/03/28/1143441141727.html
http://theage.com.au/news/breaking/australia-wants-xxx-domain-on-hold/2006/03/28/1143441141727.html
http://smh.com.au/news/technology/coonan-flips-on-net-porn-barrier/2006/03/22/1142703446070.html
http://theage.com.au/news/National/Govt-concerned-over-xxx-Net-proposal/2006/03/28/1143441141513.html
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18634607%255E29277,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18634607-1702,00.html

au: Domain administrator criticised over consultation
NetRegistry has called on the Australian domain
regulator to change its public consultation processes
to get more input from domain name purchasers.
http://zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/Domain_administrator_criticised_over_consultation/0,2000061791,39247829,00.htm
http://www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/zdnet/20060328/20/tech/0,2000061791,39247829,00.inp

.au Considers Click-Through Advertising
Australia's domain name administrator .au Domain
Administration (auda.org.au) announced last week it
has called for public comment on domain
monetization--the practice of registering numerous
domain names in an effort to sell click-through
advertising.
http://www.thewhir.com/marketwatch/032706_au_Considers_Click-Through_Advertising.cfm

Latest Turn of Events on .XXX, from ICANN Wellington
As the ICANN's week-long meeting in Wellington, New
Zealand is now fully underway, the approval of the
proposed .XXX TLD continues to remain a key topic of
discussion and its eventual approval yet uncertain.
The .XXX TLD was widely expected to receive its final
approval at the ICANN's last meeting held in Vancouver
about 4 months earlier but the discussion was
unexpectedly delayed as the organization and
governments requested more time to review the merits
of setting up such a domain. Stuart Lawley, president
of the would-be .XXX operator ICM Registry LLC offers
his comments from Wellington.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/lastest_turn_of_events_icann_wellington/

ICANN's 3-year plan under scrutiny at meeting
ICANN is seeking to refine its master plan for the
next three years at its international meeting in
Wellington, New Zealand, ICANN Chief Executive Officer
and President Paul Twomey said Monday.
http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;13285599;fp;2;fpid;1
http://infoworld.com/article/06/03/27/76848_HNicann_1.html
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/64480E7D841CF380CC25713F0016C49A

ICANN accused of losing touch with its roots
A spokesman for ICANN?s ?at-large? advisory committee
has accused the organisation publicly of having lost
touch with its philosophical ?roots?.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/DF15B0583FE10F5BCC25713E0006BFFE

US gives red light to 'porn zone'
The United States Government has blocked a plan to
create a red-light district in cyberspace. Icann had
been expected to approve website addresses ending in
".xxx" at an international meeting under way in
Wellington, but it is understood it will not now vote
on the proposal.
http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story.asp?StoryId=CrcJc0eidBMv3EMvHBgfUzc14EhG
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/488120/690888

Battle waged over .xxx domain
Though two senators believe a bill they've recently
introduced will help protect children from
pornographic websites, some anti-porn activists see
the proposed .xxx Internet domain name as just another
place for smut peddlers to sell their product.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49461
http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/03/27/015245

ICANN Faces DoS Attacks, Porn Questions
Denial of service attacks and a revolt over porn are
two topics expected to percolate at the March 27
meeting of a major Internet ruling body.
http://eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1943329,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

.xxx - Reply from Peter Zangl
Peter Zangl, Deputy Director-General of the European
Commission Information Society and Media
Directorate-General replies to Vint Cerf's letter of
17 Jan replying to Zangl's earlier letter about the
.xxx gTLD.
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/zangl-to-cerf-17mar06.pdf

ICANN Tackles Future of Internet
... But some members of ICANN have made it clear that
they don't like the way the organization is conducting
business, saying that ICANN is more concerned about
wooing big business and government than serving
ordinary Internet users.
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com//article.php/3594761
http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3594661
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060328/tc_nf/42426

Internet conference focuses on web attacks
Proposals to deal with denial of service attacks on
the internet are being canvassed at this week's
Wellington meeting of ICANN.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10374841

Domain names and fast net discussed
A series of low-key meetings are underway in
Wellington, ahead of the offficial opening on Monday
of a conference on the future of internet addresses.
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411419/688663

International spam-busting agreement needed (news
release)
An international anti-spam agreement could strengthen
spam-busting laws in individual countries, says
Communications Minister David Cunliffe.
http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=25281

Manager of Public Participation by Bret Fausett
It's been in the Bylaws since the reform process.
Kieren Baker held the title, but not the function,
when he was ICANN's PR person. The fact that he
performed press relations, and not public
participation, speaks volumes about ICANN's
priorities. (If ICANN will address the public
interest, the bad press will go away.) The position is
not mentioned in the Strategic Plan. It is not
mentioned in the Operational Plan. It is not one of
the 14 jobs advertised on the ICANN web site. I make
this point in the Public Forum, and Paul Twomey says
he agrees.
http://blog.lextext.com/blog/_archives/2006/3/28/1847337.html

ICANN vs. VeriSign: What's Not to Hate?
Take a moment and try to think of a few governments
throughout history that have been truly excellent,
that have epitomized the best in leadership. It's a
difficult exercise; the word "government" doesn't
often bring a smile to our faces. But give it a try.
Maybe an argument could be made for Churchill's
Britain or Lincoln's America. Maybe you think of
Charlemagne. But I'll bet you ICANN isn't anywhere on
your list.
http://byte.com/documents/s=9121/byt1079131388298/0315_cochran.html

Testing IDNs by Susan Crawford
Internationalized (non-ascii) domain names (IDN) are a
key issue for ICANN. Yesterday, the Board completed
two days of workshop presentations about various
matters (IANA, security, GAC relationships), and we
were briefed on the IDN testing that is planned.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/testing_internationalized_domain_names_idns/

Reporting To God by David Maher
My life on the Internet began in autumn of 1994, when
I was sitting in my office in the Sears Tower reading
a magazine known as Wired. It was the first issue I
had ever received. My son, Philip, had urged me to
subscribe on the grounds that it was the Rolling Stone
of the ?90s. That may not have been the best way to
persuade me to subscribe, but I did anyway.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/reporting_to_god_icann_domain_names_dns/

Cybersquatters Try New Tactics
Cybersquatting the domain name of a celebrity and
selling it for a king's ransom was one of the great
get-rich-quick schemes of the early internet. But
since courts now tend to favor the star over the
squatter, a new kinder, gentler cybersquatting tactic
has emerged.
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/internet/0,70475-0.html

Call for Nominations to the Public Interest Registry
.ORG Advisory Council
The .ORG Advisory Council has been a valuable global
resource for the Public Interest Registry (PIR)
management in the areas of policy, outreach, new
services and support. The council continues to provide
PIR with beneficial recommendations to improve
registry operations and support the noncommercial .ORG
community. Seven of the 21 Advisory Council seats are
to be filled on May 1, 2006. All seats are for
three-year terms. We would like your help in
soliciting the best possible nominees for the open
seats. We are seeking individuals with significant
Internet leadership experience within the nonprofit,
nongovernmental organization (NGO) and domain name
arenas who represent the broad and geographically
diverse spectrum of the global noncommercial
community.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/call_for_nominations_pir_advisory_council/

Impact of Automated Domain Registrations (?Domain
Tasting?) on .ORG Registrants
Letter to Stephen D. Crocker, Security & Stability
Advisory Committee Liaison at ICANN
http://www.pir.org/PDFs/SSAC-ICANN_ORG_Tasting_3-26-06.pdf

Impact of Automated Domain Registrations ("Domain
Tasting") on .ORG Registrants
In the past six months, PIR has seen a dramatic
increase in the volume of domain name registration
transactions in the .ORG registry, followed by a
corresponding increase in deletion transactions during
the 5 day grace period. Preliminary analysis indicates
that such ?program trading? in domain names is usually
automated, and employs sophisticated algorithms to
select, test and keep or reject names based on their
monetary value ("Domain Tasting"). PIR is concerned
about the potential impact of Domain Tasting on the
stability and security of the Internet and is working
on some initiatives to better manage issues that arise
as a result of such activities. The economic
incentives driving this activity are unlikely to
change, however it is in the best interest of the
Internet to ensure at least minimal fail safes are in
place for the protection of the .ORG Registrant
Community.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/impact_of_automated_domain_registration_tasting/

A new domain to rule
It's getting so tough to create decent '.com' Internet
names that gofast.net's founder thinks the time is
right to unleash '.corp.com' for businesses that
missed out on the first round of the online boom.
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/14200611.htm

Deadline Extended for .travel Registration Under Place
Name Priority Right
around the world, Tralliance Corporation, the .travel
Registry, announced today that the right of
governments to reserve their Place Names will be
extended 30 days, from April 1 through April 30, 2006.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/deadline_extended_for_dot_travel/

SC Launches DLV Registry to Kick Off Worldwide DNSSEC
Deployment (news release)
Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) today announced the
launch of the ISC DLV (DNSSEC Look-aside Validation)
registry. ISC, working with accredited ICANN domain
name registrars such as TUCOWS, is making available to
the world a mechanism to allow domain holders to
secure their domain information using the DNSSEC
protocol extension to DNS in advance of a signed root
or TLD zone.
http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/060327/0114800.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sources include Quicklinks <http://qlinks.net/> and
BNA Internet Law News <http://www.bna.com/ilaw/>.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(c) David Goldstein 2006

David Goldstein
 address: 4/3 Abbott Street
             COOGEE NSW 2034
             AUSTRALIA
 email: Goldstein_David &#167;yahoo.com.au
 phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - home

On Yahoo!7
Answers: Real people ask and answer questions on any topic.
http://www.yahoo7.com.au/answers