[DNS] domain name news - 18 May

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 01:31:29 +1000 (EST)
On Sun, 21 May 2006, David Goldstein wrote:

 > The X Factor: ICANN Rejects .XXX Domain Creation
 > Did you know that there are 4.2 billion pornographic
 > websites that is equivalent to 12% of the total
 > websites on the Internet? That there are 372 million
 > pornographic pages, 68 million daily search engine
 > requests, 2.5 billion daily pornographic emails, and
 > 1.5 billion peer to peer pornographic downloads
 > monthly?
 > http://www.mb.com.ph/issues/2006/05/17/TECH2006051764261.html

Wow, David, what a lot of things I didn't know, all in one place.

I had no idea there were 35 billion websites of any description. That
means every person on the planet now runs about 6 websites, and two
in three people (including children) run a porn site.  I hope Netcraft
are taking notice; they only know about 80 odd million websites so far.

Nor did I realise that over 40% of the planet's inhabitants send at
least one pornographic email every day.  That foreign aid's sure doing
the trick, eh?  Last year a third couldn't afford to eat properly;  a
huge turnaround for which it seems we must thank the porn industry.

A bit strange that of the 4.2 billion porno sites, only 372 million have
pornographic pages though.  Maybe we can do them for false advertising?

I was a bit inclined to doubt the absolute veracity of these statistics,
until I got to the last para:

"And lastly, put God into the center of your family and I can assure you
 these kinds of materials will not have any place in your families'
 Internet activities.  Pray as a family and ask for the Lord's guidance
 and you will be in safe hands."

So, straight from the horses' mouth, so to speak.

Thanks for the Enlightenment,

cheers, Ian