[DNS] *.com.au & *.au.com.au

From: Nick Andrew <lists-dns§nick-andrew.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:00:42 +1000
On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 05:20:16PM +0000, Kim Davies wrote:
> Whilst I don't really agree with the removal of the restriction, I think
> what this really highlights is the lack of a suitable mechanism for the
> operators who would be affected by the change to be advised in advance.
> Presumably just sticking it on auDA's webpage is not enough, and it is
> not clear to me what education campaign might have been conducted to
> explain to corporate enterprises they need to correct these kind of
> configurations.

It's not clear to me either. A DNS client which takes a name
"www.abc.com" and converts it to "www.abc.com.com.au" is either
broken or improperly configured. People who configure their
networks that way are less likely to be interested in the details
of DNS than subscribers to this mailing list, and I don't see how
auDA could effectively communicate with such folk.

It seems this is not such a problem for .com as all of com.com, net.com
and org.com exist. Perhaps those domains don't have wildcards to suck
in careless queries.

Nick.