[DNS] New WHOIS

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:42:51 +0000
Quoting David Keegel on Sunday November 26, 2006:

| If I understand the situation correctly, letting any registrars sell
| IDNs would require them to use a registry-registrar protocol which
| has IDN support, and be talking to a registry backend which has IDN
| support.
|
| The question then is whether the registry offers two or more registry-
| registrar protocols simultaneously for registrars to choose between
| (one with IDN support, and another which is the same as was used
| for the few last years).
|
| Obviously the registry would also need to handle IDNs internally.

Unless there are some specific and unique policy reqirements, generally
introducing IDNs would require no alteration to the EPP protocol.
IDNs are specifically designed to be transparent to legacy systems --
transmittable in "punycode" format which is pure ASCII. The wire formats
do not change.

The only alterations I could envisage to the EPP transaction is the
addition of out of band information. For example, some registries
require the language used in the registration, or the pre-normalised
form, in order to apply policies such as variant bundling. However,
I can't see a reason for that to need to impact regular non-IDN
transactions.

kim