[DNS] Australia registers more .au than .com domains

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§snapsite.com.au>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:52:13 +1000
Let me don my non-cynical hat and put forward a scenario - take bank.au as
an example, as it's been suggested as a legitimate candidate.

I can think of a mere handful of bank.au domains - anz, cba, commonwealth,
qld, westpac, boq, queensland, suncorp, bendigo, city, citi and so on.  Then
come the grey areas over which disputes would inevitably arise from each of
the competing "legitimate" registrants:  lending.bank.au, finance.bank.au,
cheap.bank.au, friendly.bank.au, local.bank.au, regional.bank.au,
credit.bank.au, community.bank.au, farmers.bank.au, your.bank.au,
online.bank.au, internet.bank.au and a whole lot of others.

Yeah, right.  There's no consumer confusion between whichbank.com.au,
which.bank.au and whichbank.au.  Phisherman's Paradise.

But wait ... there's more!  I do newsletters for a certain bank as part of
my business.  I then qualify to register newsletter.bank.au, because there's
already a close or substantial connection.  I also resell domain names
therefore I qualify for domains.bank.au.  Oh - websites, too, which gives me
websites.bank.au and sites.bank.au.  I have an overdraft - therefore I could
well qualify for borrower.bank.au and lender.bank.au because I have a
savings account as well.  I know my bank thinks there's a close and
substantial connection there.

What problems, exactly, would the additional 2LDs resolve?

Move onto plumbers - you have the same competition (and potential for
conflict) with multiple joes.plumbing.au as you would have with
joesplumbing.com.au.  Or are proponents of this idea thinking that
joesplumbing.plumbing.com.au would somehow resolve the issue?

Extrapolate the argument a little further, and just about any business could
claim a close or substantial connection to just about any 2LD should they so
desire.  How then could this be policed?  Managed?  Controlled?
Administered?  What policies would need to be instituted that are different
to those already in place?  Would existing policies even function properly?

My point is this - in my view contriving additional 2LDs would appear to
replicate and exacerbate the very problems its advocates maintain it would
resolve.  As far as I can see, unless persuaded otherwise, the only
beneficiaries would be registrars, the registry, domain monetisers and
inevitably some lawyers.

Ron Stark

  _____