[DNS] domain name news - 13 August

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:07:02 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Kim and all,

After I posted the news to the DNS list I realised the story you're referring to was an old story. They are from February 07 and 2004 respectively.

I've posted details on the stories below. And when I realised the stories were old I deleted them from the auDA site.

Apologies for that. I was going to comment in the news next week and let people know, but now you've asked...

Cheers
David

Major attack hits internet's 'root' servers
The worst attack on the
internet's infrastructure in years slowed traffic using infected
"zombies" computers on Tuesday. The attack involved deluging the DNS
servers with meaningless traffic in an effort to render them
inaccessible or cause them to crash. ... The US Department of Homeland
Security confirmed its cyber-security arm had been monitoring the
activity. "The nature of the traffic has not been confirmed, and the
servers, which are overseas, remain operational," says spokesman Russ
Knocke.
http://technology.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn11131

Major website blackout blamed on massive attack
Some
of the world's most popular internet sites suffered blackouts on
Tuesday following a co-ordinated and distributed online attack. Google,
Yahoo, Microsoft and several other major sites faltered as a result of
the attack, which started at 10:45 EST on Tuesday and lasted for over
two hours. The problems were traced to Akamai, in Massachusetts, US,
which provides support to the internet giants though a vast network of
distributed servers for all of the sites.
http://technology.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn5113