[DNS] Google to kill Domain Tasting - ICANN response

From: Josh Rowe <josh§email.nu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:05:31 +1100
Domain tasting to go away for real this time
http://weblog.johnlevine.com/ICANN/notaste.html

" ...

At last week's meeting, the ICANN board uncharacteristially did something and voted to make their fee of 20 cents per domain-year nonrefundable. They expect this to stop both domain tasting and NSI's frontrunning, which it certainly will. It's not clear when this change will go into effect, but it might be within a month.

It's items 5 and 6 in the draft minutes on ICANN's web site. (The ICANN staff uncharacteristically published the minutes soon after the meeting, another refreshing change.)

I wonder if Google will now undo their new rule about no ads on domains less than five days old.

... "

Domain Tasting Goes Sour: ICANN Will No Longer Issue Registration Refunds
http://www.dotsauce.com/2008/01/29/the-end-of-domain-tasting/

" ...

What does this mean for the domaining industry?

This change in policy will improve many aspects of domaining in general;

- The typo-squatting business will plummet as domain tasting is somewhat essential for profitable typo choices.
- Expired domain after-market will thrive as lists begin to be "cleansed" from these bogus tasted names.
- Pay-Per-Click parking services may become more reputable as domains will be long standing and garner targeted traffic.
- Registrars will become more credible down the road, because in many cases they themselves were the biggest players in domain tasting.
- Domainers will not have to worry about companies stealing WHOIS search data.

It is not certain when this change will begin to take effect, but sources reveal it may be within a month.

... "

Preliminary Report for the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors - 23 January 2008
http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-23jan08.htm

Domain Tasting to Go Away for Real This Time
http://www.circleid.com/posts/81299_domain_tasting_ends/

Josh
--
http://josh.id.au/