[DNS] gst on au domain name resales

From: Lea de Groot <dotau.org§elysiansystems.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:49:03 +1000
On 30/09/2008, at 7:30 PM, Jon Lawrence wrote:

> what if the domain is being resold by an individual that's not
> registered for GST?

Businesses are not required to register for GST until they have a
turnover of $50K (or something like that - I'm not an accountant)

An individual would own a .id.au
If you sell your personal car for more than $50K you wouldn't have to
pay GST.
It would be the same.

Only a business can own a .com.au.
If the business does more than $50K, or if the sale of a mega domain
pushes them over, then they will have to register for GST etc etc

I don't know how GST applies to Incorporated groups (.org.au)

As for selling a business - how is owning plant or equipment affected
by GST? A domain name is just a business asset like any other.

My question for my accountant this year, now that we are able to sell
our .au domains, is are they now a capital expense?!? I've treated
them the same as office rent up till now.

Lea
--
Lea de Groot
Elysian Systems