[DNS] testing EDNS

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 00:30:32 -0700
Quoting Anand Kumria on Friday October 24, 2008:

| I've upgraded my nameservers to Bind 9.5 and am now receiving many
| instances of an error message complaining that a particular DNS server
| does not have EDNS enabled.
|
| Amonst them were the .au (and other sub-domains); does anyone know if
| EDNS is enabled for the .au nameservers?

It's not clear what EDNS would be trying to accomplish in this scenario.
If indeed some or all of the .AU authorities don't support EDNS0 I don't
see that it would have an operational impact. It is essentially used to
provide responses over 512 bytes without fragmentation, and none of the
material in the .AU zone right now would seem to need that.

kim