[DNS] Telstra DNS redirection

From: Jay Daley <jay§nzrs.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:55:24 +1300
On 20/11/2009, at 2:38 PM, Brett Fenton wrote:

> Sigh. I'm not sure anybody looks to ICANN for technical brilliance.

Only a couple of members of SSAC are ICANN employees, the rest are volunteers, and even then yes I do look to people like David Conrad (ICANN VP for clever stuff) for technical brilliance which he has in abundance.  I also look to Steve Crocker, chair of SSAC and author of RFC 1 and Paul Vixie of ISC and so on.  The full list is here:  http://www.icann.org/en/committees/security/

> Their
> 'problems caused' summary for example - poor user experience. That's
> subjective, not a technical resolution, as are a few of the others.
>
> Regardless. The issue in the paper, is wildcarding in the root, which is what
> Verisign did.

It is about synthesis and redirection at a TLD level but then that is exactly what the Telstra redirection does.  Are you suggesting they will redirect doesnotexist.example.com but not doesnotexist.com?

> My very first post said this was bad. Very bad.

> Unless you know something I don't Telstra aren't wildcarding in the root. They
> are returning defined HTTP against failed lookups. I think you're confusing
> what the issue is and what it isn't.

No, see above.

> A better analogy might be for example how a browser handles a fail. IE
> displaying Bing search results or Chrome displaying Google content.

Er, no.  This is DNS not the web.

> I'm sorry but I'm still not seeing this as anything other than a very minor
> inconcenience to a very small subset of users (who have the ability to turn it
> off anyway).

If you are saying that solely because of the opt-in/opt-out issue then we can agree to differ, but if it your assessment of the impact then I still think you are missing the issue.

Here's another good explanation of what is wrong with it:

	http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1647302

kind regards
Jay