[DNS] Telstra DNS redirection

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:22:40 -0800
On Nov 19, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Brett Fenton wrote:

> Sigh. I'm not sure anybody looks to ICANN for technical brilliance.

I should probably therefore defer from commenting on this thread due to my lack of standing, but I will say...

> Regardless. The issue in the paper, is wildcarding in the root, which is what
> Verisign did.

... Bollocks! SiteFinder had nothing to do with the root.

(I'll also note that the technical community (IAB etc.) has looked at domain synthesis in middleware. The reason the SSAC is talking about it only in TLDs is that is what is in ICANN's remit to set policy on, ICANN can't regulate ISP conduct.)

kim