[DNS] domain name news - 8 March

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 21:27:15 -0800 (PST)
Don't forget to check out http://www.auda.org.au/domain-news/ for the archive of the last 3 months of the news.

And see my website - http://GoldsteinReport.com/ - for daily updates in between postings.

The domain name news is supported by auDA

A busy two weeks for Internet governance by Milton Mueller
http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2010/3/5/4472521.html

Notes from ICANN CEO?s Visit to China
http://blog.icann.org/2010/03/notes-from-icann-ceos-visit-to-china/

Domain Name Czar Seeks .OnlineUnity
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/03/icann-chief/

The challenges of the Nairobi ICANN meeting
http://stephanevangelder.com/archives/312-The-challenges-of-the-Nairobi-ICANN-meeting.html

Cyber crime to top Internet forum agenda
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Company Industry/-/539550/874458/-/t2rl81z/-/

**********************
RESEARCH PAPERS
**********************
The Rule of Law in Global Governance. Its Normative Construction, Function and Import by Gianluigi Palombella [Inernational Legal Theory Colloquium Paper "Institute for International Law and Justice", New York University School of Law]
Abstract: This paper divides in two parts. The first part elaborates on the difference among categories of ?legalities? that have developed on the globe, and considers their shapes and thickness as irreducible to the uniform notion of a ?global law?. Different pictures and explanations affect sensibly in epistemic and pragmatic sense the understanding and the potential of the law in relation to global governance. It is the very fact of metamorphoses of law along diverse legal ?formats? (one has to think of WTO, ISO, ICANN, WHO, ICLOS- about 2000 specialized global regimes-, of the newly coined ?Global Administrative Law?, of transnational merchant law, of regional order of the EU, of the international legal order, of State orders, and so forth).
http://ssrn.com/abstract=1561289

**********************
GOVERNANCE
**********************
A busy two weeks for Internet governance by Milton Mueller
There is so much going on this week and next week in Internet governance and IGP is so involved that we barely have time to blog about it. Here is a quick summary and some links to more information; it includes tales of ITU and the RIRs, the Council of Europe, ICANN Nairobi, and Google-Italy.
http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2010/3/5/4472521.html

**********************
DOMAIN NAMES
**********************
**********************
 - ICANN
**********************
Notes from ICANN CEO?s Visit to China
I travelled with Rod Beckstrom to Beijing on 2-3 March for talks with the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, Industry leaders and CNNIC, the China Internet information Network. Apart from a brief visit to Europe at end 2009 this was Rod?s first major bilateral visit since he was appointed President and CEO. A quite deliberate choice in recognition of ICANN?s strengthening ties with China since her return to the GAC last year.
http://blog.icann.org/2010/03/notes-from-icann-ceos-visit-to-china/

Community to Face Possible Headaches at KICC
Late Wednesday, my meetings team here in Nairobi was hit with some unexpected and troubling news by the Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC), the venue for the ICANN meeting. Unfortunately, it is news that could severely impact our community as it attends the meeting here on Monday and Tuesday.
http://blog.icann.org/2010/03/community-to-face-possible-headaches-at-kicc/

Domain Name Czar Seeks .OnlineUnity
For the last few years, policy makers and netizens have been battling over net neutrality ? the idea that the net is and should remain an open, fair platform where packets flow freely and web services just work, everywhere and without favoritism. And they?re trying to find the best way to guarantee that.
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/03/icann-chief/

Yes, Multiple Top Level Domain Names Add to Confusion
This morning I read Wired?s article on ICANN, which discusses new top level domain names. It quotes David Farber saying ?I don?t think that [adding new TLDs] creates innovation. I think that creates rapid confusion.?
http://domainnamewire.com/2010/03/06/yes-multiple-top-level-domain-names-add-to-confusion/

The challenges of the Nairobi ICANN meeting
ICANN's 37th international meeting doesn't officially get underway until Monday, but for many attendees work has started already. I got to the meeting venue in Nairobi this morning and I'm happy to report that apart from some truly horrendous traffic, the Kenyan capital looks like being a very pleasant place to be in.
http://stephanevangelder.com/archives/312-The-challenges-of-the-Nairobi-ICANN-meeting.html

Cyber crime to top Internet forum agenda
An international conference on the future of the Internet will be officially opened despite earlier fears of insecurity.
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Company Industry/-/539550/874458/-/t2rl81z/-/

**********************
 - ccTLD & gTLD NEWS
**********************
NIC Chile informs about the status of its services during and after the earthquake early in the morning of Saturday February 27.
1. DNS service: During the earthquake and after it, DNS service for .CL worked without interruptions for our customers and users. Service continuity was achieved due to the actions implemented by NIC Chile in order to have a significant redundancy level in DNS servers and connectivity, to keep .CL always visible in the Internet. This service is provided using more than 50 DNS servers over different cities in every continent.
http://nic.cl/anuncios/2010-03-01-eng.html

cz: Good Domain Becomes Online Campaign of the Year
The Good Domain online campaign, which was launched last year by the CZ.NIC Association, has been awarded a Silver Nutcracker at this year?s presentation of prestigious advertising prizes (a Gold Nutcracker was not awarded in this category).
http://www.nic.cz/page/732/good-domain-becomes-online-campaign-of-the-year/

DENIC Enables Registration of DNSSEC Key Material as from 2 March
The ?DNSSEC Testbed for Germany? enters the decisive phase: As from 2 March 2010 DENIC gives also second level domains under .de the opportunity to participate in the DNSSEC testbed and to record the related key material. This is a considerable improvement compared with the previous status.
http://www.denic.de/en/denic-in-dialog/news/2575.html?cHash=e46eb73fde

me: Like Your Name? Here's Your Chance To Own It Online
The .ME Registry and NameJet announced the Internet?s largest online auction of personal names today. If you?ve ever wanted your own name as a domain, now is your chance! More than 300 personal names and surnames with a .ME extension are up for auction, starting April 5, 2010.
http://www.nic.me/news.php?news=185

.MX Passes 400,000 Domain Registrations
.MX, the country code Top Level Domain for Mexico, has passed the 400,000th domain name registration reports NIC Mexico.
http://www.domainpulse.com/2010/03/07/mx-passes-400000-domain-registrations/

nl: Dispute resolution system now entirely electronic
SIDN is modifying the Dispute Resolution Regulations for .nl Domain Names with effect from 4 March 2010. Much of the correspondence that previously went by post will in future go by e-mail. For example, an initial complaint will have to be submitted to the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center in Geneva (WIPO) by e-mail only. The regulations previously stipulated that, as well as contacting WIPO by e-mail, a complainant had to send five copies of the complaint by registered post.
https://www.sidn.nl/en/news/news/news/article/geschillenregeling-wordt-volledig-digitaal-1/

Hearing on Norwegian domain names for private individuals
Currently there is a public hearing opening on how individuals can register Norwegian domain names in the future. Everybody can speak their mind on these issues. The hearing is open for input until the 17th of May.
http://www.norid.no/nytt/pressemelding20100305.en.html

Making .uk work for you - reform of the policy advisory process
Nominet's Policy Advisory Body has made far-reaching recommendations to deliver improved policy advice to the Nominet Board.
http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/?contentId=7220

za: Website owners squatting on domains [SAPA]
There are still many cases of internet domainers effectively "squatting" on known brand and trademark names, says the ZA Domain Name Authority.
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Internet/11678.html
http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=36892
http://technology.iafrica.com/news/technology/2278541.htm
http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?iSectionId=2891&iArticleId=5378566

za: Internet squatters might soon be booted
Vika Mpisane, general manager of the .ZA Domain Name Authority (Zadna), the agency which manages South Africa's internet space, said: "By its nature, domain name registration is usually automated, and as such there is less human involvement.
http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=5379286

**********************
 - DOMAIN DISPUTES
**********************
Domain Registrant Prevails in Gripe Site Case
Strong decision for free speech online, but a tough decision for trademark owners (are law professors calling them trademark maximalists yet?) in Career Agents Network Inc. v. careeragentsnetwork.biz, No. 09-12269 (E.D. Mich. Feb. 26, 2010). It's a gripe site case, in which the defendant's domain name incorporated the entirety of the plaintiff's mark.
http://pblog.bna.com/techlaw/2010/03/domain-registrant-prevails-in-gripe-site-case.html

**********************
 - DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET
**********************
$1 Million Sale Sets New High Water Mark for .Org Domains & Previously Unannounced Purchase Becomes 2nd Biggest in That Extension
This has been quite a week for the .org extension. First came Sedo's announcement that they had brokered the biggest .org sale of all time, a deal that sent Poker.org from National A-1 to PokerCompany.com for a cool $1 million. Prior to that the highest reported .org sale was Engineering.org, a name that changed hands several years ago for $198,000.
http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2010/20100303.htm

**********************
RESEARCH PAPERS
**********************
Child Privacy Protection Online: How to Improve it Through Code and Self-Regulatory Tools by Federica Casarosa [Robert Schuman Centre fo Advanced Studies]
Abstract: The accomplishment of an adequate level of privacy is one of the main concerns related to the increasing diffusion of Information and Communication Technologies, due to the expanding possibilities to collect, organise and store thousands of data. ... The paper will analyse the changes in the policy approach at European level concerning the protection of children privacy, using a very wide concept of privacy which is interpreted as form of control over personal data. Thus, the analysis will consider in particular the commercial exploitation of personal data, as in this case it is clear that the child lost the control over his/her own data. The analysis will be based on a modified version of the all-embracing matrix developed by Gunningham and Sinclair (1998) concerning the design of the most effective regulatory mix, taking into account the different mechanisms that at European level were put forward. Given the final evaluation of the current
 regulatory mix, a tentative conclusion will be presented delivering suggestions and comments for further improvement.
http://ssrn.com/abstract=1561570

Child Protection and Freedom of Speech Online: Mapping the Territory [Oxford Internet Institute]
The Internet and other network technologies have offered unprecedented access to information and communication to many people, including children. Over the past decade, debates have emerged in many countries about the extent to which ensuring child protection and child safety online can be balanced with maintaining freedom of speech. Advocates of online child protection and freedom of expression both share a deep-seated belief in the vital importance of protecting basic human rights which are grounded in fundamental values of human autonomy and dignity.
http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/news/?id=405

**********************
INTERNET USE
**********************
Internet access is 'a fundamental right': BBC World Service survey
Almost four in five people around the world believe that access to the internet is a fundamental right, a poll for the BBC World Service suggests. The survey - of more than 27,000 adults across 26 countries - found strong support for net access on both sides of the digital divide.

Four in five believe Web access a fundamental right
Four in five adults believe access to the Internet is a fundamental right -- with those feelings particularly strong in South Korea and China -- and half believe it should never be regulated, according to a global survey.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6261XJ20100307
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/08/2839530.htm

The net generation, unplugged: Is it really helpful to talk about a new generation of "digital natives" who have grown up with the internet?
They are variously known as the Net Generation, Millennials, Generation Y or Digital Natives. But whatever you call this group of young people?roughly, those born between 1980 and 2000?there is a widespread consensus among educators, marketers and policymakers that digital technologies have given rise to a new generation of students, consumers, and citizens who see the world in a different way. Growing up with the internet, it is argued, has transformed their approach to education, work and politics.
http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15582279

The many voices of the web: new combinations of human and computer translation are making web pages available in foreign languages
The web connects over a billion people, but it is fragmented by language. Anglophone web-users have as many pages to choose from as Chinese speakers, and there are roughly as many blogs in Japanese as there are in English. And although the Arabic blogosphere got off to a late start, it is now booming. But each of these groups of users is walled off from the others by language.
http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15582327

Studies of Web Searches Offer Preview of Hiring Trends
Payroll and unemployment data released Friday offered a snapshot of the labor market's health last month. But some researchers say they can get a read on such trends days or weeks ahead of the official numbers by studying Google searches, tweets and even queries at an online phone directory.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704541304575099450389844456.html

Chatroulette on The Daily Show
Jon Stewart, host of The Daily Show, encounters several reporters and naked, masturbating men as he explores Chatroulette. Stewart points out the hypocriscy of media outlets in their reporting of the website.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-4-2010/tech-talch---chatroulette

Chatroulette: risque chat service or pornographic site?
Andrey Ternovskiy grew bored of Skype-ing his friends and decided there had to be a way to make online chats a little less predictable. After a bit of thought and a lot of coding, the teenage Russian came up with Chatroulette, a 21st century twist on the chatroom that is every adolescent's dream and every parent's worst nightmare.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/mar/06/chatroulette-webcam-voyeur-site

The Russian-American Battle over Chatroulette
Late last year, only 500 people were using the Web site that Andrey Ternovskiy launched. Now Chatroulette gets around 1.5 million visitors daily. With Russian billionaires offering him cash and Google on the other line, the Moscow teenager has to make a decision: America or Russia?
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,681681,00.html

Microsoft Gives Rival Browsers a Lift in Europe
Rivals of Microsoft?s market-leading Web browser have attracted a flurry of interest since the company, fulfilling a regulatory requirement, started making it easier for European users of its Windows operating system to switch.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/technology/08browser.html

VeriSign Internet Trust Index Pinpoints Who Trusts the Internet, Who Doesn't, and Why [news release]
VeriSign, Inc. released its inaugural VeriSign Internet Trust Index Report, a rigorous new method to help gauge and understand the level of confidence American adults have interacting and transacting with different types of Web sites.
https://press.verisign.com/easyir/customrel.do?easyirid=AFC0FF0DB5C560D3&version=live&prid=593127&releasejsp=custom_97

Bring The Olympics Online :Nearly two decades after the debut of the World Wide Web, why are the games still stuck on broadcast television?
Here's how I want to watch the 2014 Winter Olympics. I want to go to a Web site, choose an event?say, men's downhill skiing?and watch the whole thing from beginning to end, on my big-screen TV or my laptop or my iPhone. I'll skip the boring parts and rewind to watch the good parts again. I'll gladly pay an ? la carte price per event, or pay one big fee for a pass that lets me see every Olympic contest. I'd even pay a premium to watch them live. I want to see any event I want, whenever I want to watch it, on whatever screen I choose.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/234449

Secret web of sorrow when parents move on
An exposion in online romances is making the toughest Family Court issue even tougher, with more divorcees than ever wanting to move their children interstate or overseas to be with a new partner.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/secret-web-of-sorrow-when-parents-move-on-20100306-ppn6.html
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/secret-web-of-sorrow-when-parents-move-on-20100306-ppn6.html

S Korea child 'starves as parents raise virtual baby'
A South Korean couple who were addicted to the internet let their three-month-old baby starve to death while raising a virtual daughter online, police said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8551122.stm

How Google became the indispensable frenemy
The search engine's public image is divided between the believers and those afraid of its overwhelming corporate power, reports Kelsey Munro.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/biz-tech/how-google-became-the-indispensable-frenemy-20100308-pqyc.html
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/biz-tech/how-google-became-the-indispensable-frenemy-20100308-pqyc.html

**********************
SOCIAL NETWORKING
**********************
Twitter flies past its 10 billionth tweet
Overnight, Twitter flew past the 10bn tweet milestone, according to the GigaTweet site, which tracks the microblogging service. It has taken more than three years to get there. However, Twitter's rapid growth means that the next 10bn should be knocked off in 203 days.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/mar/05/twitter-ten-billionth-tweet

Twitter hits 10 billion tweet mark
More than 10 billion tweets have been posted on micro-blogging service Twitter.
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/030610-twitter-hits-10-billion-tweet.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/190969/.html

au: Internet Industry Association calls social network companies for summit on online safety
Social networking companies including YouTube, Facebook and MySpace are likely to announce new education initiatives to help users protect themselves online.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/social-network-companies-crisis-talks-on-online-safety/story-e6frg996-1225837959188

jp: 2channel an outlet for free speech, and hate [AFP]
Japan's biggest Internet forum, where anonymous netizens trade anything from cooking tips to death threats, has long been an anarchic zone of uninhibited free speech and a magnet for controversy.
http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?iSectionId=2891&iArticleId=5378360

Facebook and Twitter Access via Mobile Browser Grows by Triple-Digits in the Past Year [news release]
comScore, Inc. released a study on social networking access via mobile browser. The study found that 30.8 percent of smartphone users accessed social networking sites via their mobile browser in January 2010, up 8.3 points from 22.5 percent one year ago. Access to Facebook via mobile browser grew 112 percent in the past year, while Twitter experienced a 347-percent jump.
http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2010/3/Facebook_and_Twitter_Access_via_Mobile_Browser_Grows_by_Triple-Digits

Competitors may fight Facebook feed patent
An Australian legal expert says he expects the latest patent granted to social networking site Facebook to be hotly contested by its competitors.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/05/2838033.htm

CHILD PROTECTION, FILTERING & CONTENT REGULATION
Study identifies strategies for dealing with bullying
Two studies released this week shed some light on the issue of bullying and, by implication, cyberbullying. One found that bullying is actually on the decline while the other determined that talking with an adult or a friend was most likely to "make things better."
http://news.cnet.com/8301-19518_3-10464303-238.html

at: The Bit and Byte show
Bit & Byte are the stars of a new series of videos: They have their own show and present interesting discussions about online behaviour. But since they do not live in perfect harmony, it is a constant fight on what to do and what not to do.
http://saferinternet.org/web/guest/spotlight?p_p_id=spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet_action=detail&_spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet_articleId=54014

fr: Pioneering service to introduce parents to the world of video games
e-Enfance launched an innovative mobile phone application, that offers the parents the opportunity to understand all aspects the video games their children are playing.
http://saferinternet.org/web/guest/spotlight?p_p_id=spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet_action=detail&_spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet_articleId=60413

dk: Web ethics in school
SMS, Facebook, chat, World of Warcraft. Today, children and young people live a major part of their lives online in an everyday life where the borders between online and offline are blurred and online communications constitutes a central nerve. Integrating digital technology in teaching in primary school is about much more than just offering computers and internet to the students ? it is every bit as relevant to take the digital media reality of children today as a starting point for developing the teaching methods.
http://saferinternet.org/web/guest/spotlight?p_p_id=spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet_action=detail&_spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet_articleId=38668

eu: eSafety Kit Online
Safer Internet Day saw the launch of the eSafety Toolkit online, available at www.esafetykit.net. The site is based on the printed ?family toolkit?, which was developed in 2008 by the Insafe network and Liberty Global/UPC within the framework of the EC's Safer Internet programme.
http://saferinternet.org/web/guest/spotlight?p_p_id=spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet_action=detail&_spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet_articleId=49866

pl: "3..2..1.. Internet" ? class scenario about Internet safety for senior Primary School students
Nobody?s Children Foundation in cooperation with Microsoft and Krzysztof Ho?owczyc's "Safe Driver Foundation" has launched a project promoting safe usage of the Internet and new technologies among senior primary school children (from 12 till 14 years of age), called "3..2..1..Internet". Krzysztof Ho?owczyc is a famous Polish rally driver, very popular among children and young people.
http://saferinternet.org/web/guest/spotlight?p_p_id=spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet_action=detail&_spotlight_WAR_insafeportlet_articleId=38614

au: Net filter protests fail to deliver crowds - Usual suspects show up at nationwide rallies
Nationwide protests against the Federal Government's Internet Content Filter plans held on Saturday struggled to draw big numbers.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/338711/net_filter_protests_fail_deliver_crowds/

**********************
ONLINE TV & MUSIC
**********************
Video on the internet: Why are public broadcasters experimenting with the "peer-to-peer" technology beloved of online pirates?
Last year Norway?s public broadcaster, NRK, filmed a stunning seven-hour train ride between Bergen and Oslo, shot entirely in high-definition video. Over one million Norwegians watched the film on television. But NRK faced a challenge in reaching a larger audience. How could it distribute the hard-drive-busting 246 gigabytes of raw footage to a global audience without bringing its servers to a grinding halt? The broadcaster made a somewhat surprising choice: it turned to BitTorrent, a peer-to-peer (P2P) internet service best known as a means of sharing pirated movies and music.
http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15582215

British law firm investigated over claims that it bullied alleged filesharers
A leading law firm is being investigated over claims that it bullied and harassed hundreds of people wrongly accused of illegal filesharing.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/mar/05/filesharing-allegations

Legal firm faces investigation over net piracy letters
A legal firm which has accused a number of Brits of illegally file-sharing, is being investigated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=3214380
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/030610-legal-firm-faces-investigation-over.html

us: TiVo Prevails in Patent Rights Case Against Dish [AP]
TiVo Inc. prevailed yet again in a long-running dispute with Dish Network Corp. over patents for digital video recorders, as a federal appeals court cleared the way Thursday for TiVo to collect hundreds of millions of dollars. TiVo shares jumped more than 50 percent.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/03/04/business/AP-US-TEC-TiVo-Dish.html

**********************
MOBILE/WIRELESS
**********************
Anthony Doesburg: Pirates will cover their tracks to get to online treasure
The latest attempt to legislate an end to online music and movie piracy will spark an arms race, according to a figure at the centre of New Zealand internet governance.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10630013

US Microsoft 'to sell phone on Verizon by summer' [Reuters]
Microsoft is aiming to launch two phones that will be sold by top US mobile operator Verizon Wireless in late spring or early summer, a person briefed on the matter said yesterday.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/us-microsoft-to-sell-phone-on-verizon-by-summer-1916695.html

au: Bar on mobile services helps parents keep lid on phone costs
Mobile phone users will soon be able to request a bar on high-cost premium SMS services such as ringtones to help parents control their children's phone costs and limit bill shock.
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/bar-on-mobile-services-helps-parents-keep-lid-on-phone-costs-20100307-pqlz.html
http://www.theage.com.au/national/option-to-bar-highcost-sms-20100307-pqqn.html

Unwanted premium SMS banned [AAP]
Mobile phone companies will be banned from charging consumers for premium SMS messages against their will.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/Unwanted-premium-SMS-banned/0,130061791,339301584,00.htm

**************************
ONLINE CRIME, SECURITY & LEGAL
**************************
US Feds weigh expansion of Internet monitoring
Homeland Security and the National Security Agency may be taking a closer look at Internet communications in the future.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10463665-38.html

FBI director warns of growing cyber threat
Militant groups, foreign states and criminal organizations pose a growing threat to U.S. security as they target government and private computer networks, FBI Director Robert Mueller said on Thursday.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6240HJ20100305
http://in.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idINIndia-46675120100305

FBI director warns of 'rapidly expanding' cyberterrorism threat
FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III warned Thursday that the cyberterrorism threat is "real and . . . rapidly expanding."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/04/AR2010030405066.html

us: THE CYBER THREAT: Using Intelligence to Predict and Prevent [news release]
Terrorists plotting and scheming anonymously online?and posting videos on how to build everything from backpack bombs to bio-weapons. Spies, hired cyber mercenaries, and criminal syndicates worming their way into government networks, attempting to steal our nation?s most sensitive secrets.
http://www.fbi.gov/page2/mar10/cyberintel030410.html

NZ business vulnerable to cybercrime
As computer experts gather for one of the world's most important annual IT security conferences, new research suggests New Zealand businesses are more susceptible than most to the dangers of cybercrime.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10629729

nz: Copyright infringement - inside the legal minefield
Several weeks ago the Australian high court ruled in favour of Aussie ISP iiNet in a landmark legal battle where AFACT (Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft) argued that iiNet was as guilty as some of its subscribers of online copyright infringement.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10630103

British web intercept group has spent ?14m since January
A government web interception group has spent ?14m since it was established in January. The Communications Capabilities Directorate (CCD), which the government announced in January, has spent the money on set-up costs.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,40072979,00.htm

Cyber crime fight 'begins outside the home'
A leading internet security specialist is calling on governments to make it illegal for computer manufacturers to sell products that are vulnerable to attacks from cyber criminals.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/04/2836693.htm

au: Cyber-crime cases ignored by untrained police
Parents of children targeted by paedophiles and bullies online or via mobile phones are being fobbed off at their local police stations by officers untrained to deal with cyber-crimes, according to two former high-profile members of Victoria Police.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cybercrime-cases-ignored-by-untrained-police-20100306-ppth.html

au: Police fall behind on cyber crime
Victoria Police is failing to deal with cyber crimes against children because its officers lack the training or expertise to police it, experts say.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/police-fall-behind-on-cyber-crime-20100306-pptc.html

US GAO: Federal Cybersecurity Projects Risk Failure
Federal projects aimed at reducing the government's susceptibility to cyber-attacks are at risk due to difficulty defining agency roles, creating metrics, incorporating transparency and reaching agreement about how much to inform the public about online threats, according to a GAO report released Friday. Coordinating actions with international entities and addressing identity issues were cited as two additional challenges.
http://techdailydose.nationaljournal.com/2010/03/gao-federal-cybersecurity-proj.php

The next cyber war will be for your wallet
Is the United States in the middle of a cyber war? You'd think the answer to that question would be obvious. But apparently it depends on whom you ask.
http://infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/next-cyber-war-will-be-your-wallet-820
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/030510-the-next-cyber-war-will.html

Fake drug scam hijacks UK college websites
UK academic institutions have unwittingly become the accomplices of criminals selling fake drugs online. A security firm has discovered many organisations using the .ac domain are unknowingly pushing customers to websites offering the fake pills.

UK university websites hijacked; selling Viagra etc.
A computer security firm has discovered a number of UK colleges and universities with the .ac.uk domain name hijacked and redirected to fake drug stores offering the usual spam-box full of supplies, according to the BBC.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/igeneration/?p=4258

Cyberwar declared as China hunts for the West?s intelligence secrets
Urgent warnings have been circulated throughout Nato and the European Union for secret intelligence material to be protected from a recent surge in cyberwar attacks originating in China.
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article7053254.ece

China to punish hackers, says no Google complaint
China has pledged to punish hackers who attacked Google if there is evidence to prove it, but said it has yet to receive any complaint from the world's top search engine.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE62609L20100307
http://in.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idINIndia-46710720100307

**************************
PRIVACY
**************************
Google seeks to ease German opposition to Street View
US Internet giant Google has been trying to counter German opposition to its Street View service for years, locking horns with officials who claim the wholesale collection and publication of images of private property represents a massive breach of privacy. Now, after striking a deal with data protection authorities that allows people to opt out of its image library, Google has launched a publicity offensive aimed at promoting its service and dispelling public concerns about privacy. It even attended CeBIT as an exhibitor for the first time to show off its camera cars and give the press a product demonstration. Deutsche Welle's business editor Sam Edmonds met Google Germany spokesman Kay Oberbeck and asked him to explain what Street View is, and what it isn't.
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5318954,00.html

New Massachusetts Data Privacy Law Adds Incentive For Strong Database Security
Database administrators and database security professionals this week faced a new set of regulatory pressures for protecting stores of sensitive personal data with the enactment of Massachusetts' landmark data privacy law.
http://www.darkreading.com/database_security/security/app-security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=223200019

**********************
CENSORSHIP
**********************
Beijing says working with Google to resolve dispute [Reuters]
China is in consultations with technology giant Google to resolve its dispute with the company, which has threatened to abandon the Chinese market over hacking and censorship concerns, said a Chinese official on Friday.
http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/beijing-says-working-with-google-to-resolve-dispute-1916684.html

FBI director warns of 'rapidly expanding' cyberterrorism threat
FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III warned Thursday that the cyberterrorism threat is "real and ... rapidly expanding."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/04/AR2010030405066.html

Bing blocks online sex searches in Middle East: study [AFP]
The Open Net Initiative (ONI) on Friday said Microsoft's search engine Bing is more prudish than government censors when it comes to sex-related online queries.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/bing-blocks-online-sex-searches-in-middle-east-study-20100306-pp9d.html
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-technology/bing-blocks-online-sex-searches-in-middle-east-study-20100306-pp9d.html

Web monitoring not possible with system sold to Iran: NSN
Finnish-German telecom equipment maker Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) on Friday countered allegations technology it sold to Iran in 2008 could be used to monitor Internet traffic.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-technology/web-monitoring-not-possible-with-system-sold-to-iran-nsn-20100306-pp4e.html
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/web-monitoring-not-possible-with-system-sold-to-iran-nsn-20100306-pp4e.html

**************************
GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY
**************************
nz: Phone number governance questioned
The Commerce Commission and Internet NZ are united in opposing the Telecommunications Carriers Forum?s (TCF) bid to ensure New Zealand numbers can only be distributed to paid-up TCF members.
http://www.techday.co.nz/telecommunicationsreview/news/phone-number-governance-questioned/15839/

nz: Acta battle coming to a head in Wellington [Dominion Post]
Debate over the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement being negotiated with the United States, the European Union and several other countries is coming to a head after the Government invited submissions on the treaty negotiations.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/3415929/Acta-battle-coming-to-a-head-in-Wellington

**********************
TELECOMMUNICATIONS
**********************
Italy?s biggest telecoms firm faces an uncertain future
There could not be a better warning of the risks of getting involved with Italy?s national phone company: in late February Telecom Italia said an investigation into alleged large-scale tax fraud and money-laundering involving Sparkle, its wholesale voice and broadband unit, and a rival broadband firm, Fastweb, had forced it to delay the announcement of its 2009 results by a month. The pair are thought to have become embroiled in a scam orchestrated by the Calabrian mafia. Meanwhile, discussions about Telecom Italia?s future are coming to a head, with Telef?nica, Spain?s leading operator, expected to play a crucial role.
http://www.economist.com/business-finance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15612237

EU asks who will pay for high-speed Internet
The EU plans to revise rules governing access to the Internet and telephones throughout the bloc. Yesterday (2 March) the European Commission launched a consultation asking whether money for wider broadband coverage should come from the public purse or from industry coffers.
http://www.euractiv.com/en/infosociety/eu-asks-who-will-pay-high-speed-internet-news-301230

EU to tackle radio spectrum access
At an EU summit in late March, the EU will talk about how the bloc can reallocate radio spectrum to catch up with US broadband coverage. But the issue is hotly contested, a situation which an EU consultation launched yesterday (4 March) will seek to resolve.
http://www.euractiv.com/en/infosociety/eu-tackle-radio-spectrum-access-news-308487

**********************************
ARRESTS/COURT CASES FOR ONLINE CHILD PROTECTION
**********************************
au: Over 400 child porn pics found on man's computers: police [AAP]
Hundreds of child pornography images have been found on computers in northern NSW, police say.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/over-400-child-porn-pics-found-on-mans-computers-police-20100306-pp74.html

(c) David Goldstein 2010

 ---------

David Goldstein

email: goldstein_david&#167;yahoo.com.au
web:   http://davidgoldstein.tel/
http://goldsteinreport.com/

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery