[DNS] domain name news - 23 January

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:57:21 +1100
Don't forget to check out http://www.auda.org.au/domain-news/ for the archive of the last 3 months of the news.

And see my website - http://GoldsteinReport.com/ - for daily updates in between postings.

The domain name news is supported by auDA

ICANN: antitrust law does not apply to us
http://domainincite.com/icann-antitrust-law-does-not-apply-to-us/

25 Registrations For New TLDs After One Week: ICANN
http://www.domainpulse.com/2012/01/20/25-applications-for-new-tlds-after-one-week-icann/

By the numbers: IPv6 makes room for China
http://www.zdnet.com.au/by-the-numbers-ipv6-makes-room-for-china-339330184.htm

Editorial: Web freedom vs. Web piracy
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinionla/la-ed-piracy-20120121,0,4362288.story

Don?t Stop at SOPA: SOPA and PIPA are (almost) dead. Now can we talk about the law that already exists?
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/01/sopa_and_pipa_are_almost_dead_now_can_we_talk_about_the_law_that_already_exists_.html

SOPA, PIPA Stalled: Meet the OPEN Act
http://www.pcworld.com/article/248525/sopa_pipa_stalled_meet_the_open_act.html

After an Online Firestorm, Congress Shelves Antipiracy Bills
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/technology/senate-postpones-piracy-vote.html

No SOPA for Australia: AG
http://www.zdnet.com.au/no-sopa-for-australia-ag-339330107.htm

**********************
REPORTS & RESEARCH PAPERS
**********************
The New Cartographers: Trust and Social Order within the Internet Infrastructure by Ashwin Mathew & Coye Cheshire [TPRC 2010]
Abstract: Internet governance is often studied in terms of the overlapping interests of nation states and those of formal organizations, such as ICANN and the Regional Internet Registries, largely in the context of allocation and administration of resources such as Domain Name Server (DNS) designations and Internet Protocol (IP) address space.
http://ssrn.com/abstract=1988216

**********************
GOVERNANCE
**********************
Who should control the Internet?
It is going to be a particularly crazy year in terms of Internet policy and governance, maybe even more than so than 2005, when the World Summit on the Information Society happened.
http://kierenmccarthy.com/2012/01/15/who-should-control-the-internet/

**********************
DOMAIN NAMES
**********************
**********************
 - ICANN
**********************
Letter from Kurt Pritz, ICANN, to the Honorable Greg Walden, U.S. House of Representatives
Additional Questions from the December 14, 2011 Hearing Before the House Subcommittee on Communication and Technology, Committee on Energy and Commerce
http://www.icann.org/en/correspondence/pritz-to-walden-20jan12-en.pdf

Letter from Gerard de Graaf and Linsey McCallum, European Commission, to Rod Beckstrom and Steve Crocker
Response to Letter to Commissioner Kroes on Vertical Separation Between Registries and Registrars
http://www.icann.org/en/correspondence/de-graaf-mccallum-to-beckstrom-crocker-19jan12-en.pdf

.CAT WHOIS Proposed Changes
ICANN is opening today the public comment period for the Fundacio puntCAT's, request to change its Whois according to EU data protection legislation. The public comment period will be closed on 3 March 2012.
http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-20jan12-en.htm

CSIS Keynote Speech - The Future of the Internet - Who Decides?
Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) keynote speech by Rod Beckstrom - The Future of the Internet - Who Decides?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV5yPwDDAHs

Rod Beckstrom and Steve Crocker at the National Press Club
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5byDKvUazs

ICANN: antitrust law does not apply to us
ICANN says it ?does not engage in trade or commerce? and therefore US antitrust laws do not apply to its approval of the .xxx TLD, according to court documents.
http://domainincite.com/icann-antitrust-law-does-not-apply-to-us/

End in sight for Go Daddy?s 60-day transfer lock
Go Daddy?s unpopular 60-day domain name lockdown period, which prevents customers moving to other registrars, could be reduced to as little as five days under new ICANN policy.
http://domainincite.com/end-in-sight-for-go-daddys-60-day-transfer-lock/

**********************
 - ccTLD & gTLD NEWS
**********************
Continuation of DNS.be information campaign
>From 16 January till the end of March we again target at the Belgian professions and intellectuals in order to convince them that having a presence online is extremely important for them too. It is the next stage in our information campaign we started during last year?s autumn.
http://dns.be/en//continuation_of_dnsbe_information_campaign
http://www.domainpulse.com/2012/01/22/dns-be-information-campaign-to-continue/

HKIRC Announces Third Top Ten .hk Website Competition Results; Winning websites show creativity and ?Web Care?; Significant Decline in .hk/.?? Domain Name Phishing and Spamvertising Cases for 2011
Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation Limited (HKIRC) today announced the results of the third Top Ten .hk Website Competition. Websites www.weather.gov.hk of Hong Kong Observatory and www.darizi.com.hk of Darizi Limited struck gold in the Corporate and SME Groups respectively. HKIRC also revealed the latest numbers for spamvertising and phishing cases using .hk/.??domains, which have significantly decreased throughout 2011.
https://www2.hkirc.hk/company_info/pressrelease.jsp?item=449

Secured domains mean a more secure Internet
The number of .se domains that were signed using the DNSSEC security standard rose from 4,299 in early 2011 to 171,650 by December 31, 2011. The considerable increase was attributable to a long-term strategy and a proactive initiative from .SE and several of its resellers (registrars) to enhance the security of the Internet in Sweden.
https://www.iis.se/en/pressmeddelanden/sakrade-domannamn-ger-sakrare-internet

Are .XXX Domains the Next Porn Battleground?
When the movie industry slapped adult films with an XXX rating, porn companies came to embrace the scarlet letters. But when the nonprofit corporation that oversees Internet addresses rolled out the .xxx domain, the reception was unequivocally unenthusiastic.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/45989397/Are_XXX_Domains_the_Next_Porn_Battleground

uk: Scams targeting domain name registrants
We have recently been made aware of a phone scam targeting domain name registrants. In the scam, registrants are contacted by telephone, by someone claiming to have 3rd party ownership of the registrant?s domain. They then make a demand for money or they will sell the domain on.
http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/?contentId=8992

**********************
 - NEW TLDS
**********************
25 Registrations For New TLDs After One Week: ICANN
There are now 25 registrations for new gTLDs one week into the three month application period ICANN has announced. However, this number does not necessarily represent the total number of applications since each registrant can apply for up to 50 new gTLDs.
http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=16750
http://www.domainpulse.com/2012/01/20/25-applications-for-new-tlds-after-one-week-icann/
http://www.domainnews.com/en/25-applications-for-new-tlds-after-one-week-icann.html

CRIDO Sells "Do Not Sell List" by Naseem Javed
Coalition for Responsible Internet Domain Oversight, or CRIDO, released a plan they called a "peacemaker" three days before the Jan. 12th, 2012 launch, which would allow brands to begin the ICANN application process but would allow organizations and companies the opportunity to place their brand names, without cost, on a temporary "do not sell" list. ICANN so far has not responded to the "do not sell" list, and CRIDO is getting restless and threatening lawsuits.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20120119_crido_sells_do_not_sell_list/

Should you consider a generic top level domain?
Chief information officers understand the importance of domain name registrations in maintaining the integrity of their organisation?s brand. Now a study estimates the .au domain contributed $475 million to the Australian economy in 2011 and created more than 4300 full-time jobs.
http://www.cio.com.au/article/412920/should_consider_generic_top_level_domain_/
http://www.techworld.com.au/article/412920/should_consider_generic_top_level_domain_/
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/412920/should_consider_generic_top_level_domain_/

Trademarking .generics - the .bank Fiasco! by Konstantinos Komaitis
I, for one, have been a proponent of new gTLDs from the early days of their policy development process within ICANN. I always believed that the existing gTLDs -- and mainly the .com space -- have created artificial scarcity, which is primarily responsible for much of the cybersquatting and the abuse trademarks experience. I do not share the same fears as those who argue that new gTLDs will create intolerable levels of cybersquatting or will necessitate defensive registrations from brand and trademark owners alike.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/trademarking_generics_the_bank_fiasco/

Research paper could save brands $185,000 on a ?defensive? new TLD
One of the more perplexing commonly held beliefs about new TLDs is that brands need to apply for one merely to protect their brand.
http://domainnamewire.com/2012/01/19/research-paper-could-save-brands-185000-on-a-defensive-new-tld/

.bank trademark canceled after ?mistake?
A US trademark on the term ?.bank? granted to a likely .bank TLD applicant has been canceled just over a week after it was approved.
http://domainincite.com/bank-trademark-canceled-after-mistake/

Stop the nonsense about TLD-squatting
Barely a day has passed recently without a news report about how companies are being forced to apply for new TLDs to prevent cybersquatters moving in on their brands.
http://domainincite.com/stop-the-nonsense-about-tld-squatting/

Minds+Machines works with .bayern
The Directors of Top Level Domain Holdings Limited, the only publicly traded company focused exclusively on acquiring and operating new gTLDs, are pleased to announce that Bayern Connect GmbH, the German operating company in which TLDH has a majority holding, has been exclusively awarded the contract to apply for the .BAYERN gTLD string by the Bavarian State Government.
http://www.tldh.org/2012/01/mindsmachines-works-with-bayern/

M+M wins contract for ?laptops and lederhosen? gTLD
Minds + Machines has won governmental approval for its .bayern new gTLD application, according to the company.
http://domainincite.com/mm-wins-contract-for-laptops-and-lederhosen-gtld/

**********************
 - DNS SECURITY
**********************
Opinion: Cyber War: Reality or Hype?
During his confirmation hearings this past June, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta warned the Senate, "The next Pearl Harbor we confront could very well be a cyber attack that cripples our grid, our security systems, our financial systems, our governmental systems." The use of Pearl Harbor provided powerful imagery: a mighty fleet reduced to smoking ruin, an expansionist Asian power at the nation's doorstep.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/conn-hallinan/cyber-war-reality-or-hype_b_1219843.html

Study: U.K., U.S. wield most 'Cyber Power'
The United Kingdom and United States lead other developing countries in their ability to withstand cyberattacks and develop strong digital economies, according to a new study by Booz Allen Hamilton and the Economist Intelligence Unit.
http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20120113_4244.php

Australia ranked third for Cyber Power
Australia has been ranked third behind the UK and US and ahead of 17 other G-20 nations for its ability to withstand cyber attacks and to deploy the digital infrastructure needed for a productive and secure economy.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/412544/australia_ranked_third_cyber_power/

The Cyber Hub
The Cyber Hub provides an overview of the digital arena. As governments and businesses strive to remain competitive in a cyber era, the Economist Intelligence Unit, sponsored by Booz Allen Hamilton, has set out to understand the significance of cyber power today. The research is built on several integral parts: an interactive index that assesses specific aspects of the cyber environment of the G20 countries, and a series of research papers that examine the implications for the business community. ... Executive summary: It is well established that strong digital development increases cyber power potential, yet a rise in dependency also results in greater security risks. As illustrated by the Cyber Power Index, many countries struggle with this inherent contradiction, while leading countries meet these new challenges. Cyber power is defined here as the ability to withstand cyber attacks and to deploy the digital infrastructure necessary for a productive and secure economy. The concept of cyber power therefore encompasses both the benefits and the potential challenges of reliance on digital resources.
http://www.cyberhub.com/Home/About

us: Aide: Senate nears agreement on cybersecurity bill
The Senate could move ahead with a broad-ranging cybersecurity bill in as little as a week, an aide to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid , D-Nev., said on Tuesday.
http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20120117_9112.php

Pentagon cedes control of Defense cyber pilot to DHS
The Homeland Security Department is taking over a heralded Pentagon project that shared classified intelligence with select military contractors and their communications providers, DHS officials said.
http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20120117_6581.php

Israeli and Palestinian hackers trade DDoS attacks in rising cyber-gang war
Pro-Palestinian and pro-Israeli hackers are waging a cyber street-fight in a tit-for-tat exchange of posturing, threats of mass credit card exposures, and denial-of-service attacks. As Hamas has egged on hackers in recent weeks, promoting more "hacktivist" attacks against Israeli targets, pro-Israel hackers have responded in kind, today taking down the websites of stock exchanges in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Both sites appear to be back online.
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/01/israeli-and-palestinian-hackers-trade-ddos-attacks-in-rising-cyber-gang-war.ars

au: Companies told to report cyber attacks
With online threats on the rise, companies under cyber attack have been told to immediately contact CERT Australia, the organisation that monitors our nation's cyber space.
http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/companies-told-to-report-cyber-attacks-20120118-1q66m.html

Nearly 4 mln computers infected by viruses in December: Chinese security center
A total of 3.94 million computers in China were infected by viruses in December 2011, a national computer security monitoring center said Tuesday.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2012-01/17/c_131365378.htm

**********************
 - IPv4/IPv6
**********************
By the numbers: IPv6 makes room for China
This is the year that we expect IPv6 to become more pervasive, if only to meet the growing demand for IP addresses from China. There are now more than 500 million internet users in China, soaking up more than 330 million IPv4 web addresses.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/by-the-numbers-ipv6-makes-room-for-china-339330184.htm

World IPv6 Launch Solidifies Global Support for New Internet Protocol
Major ISPs, home networking equipment manufacturers, and web companies around the world are coming together to permanently enable IPv6 for their products and services by 6 June 2012.
http://www.internetsociety.org/news/world-ipv6-launch-solidifies-global-support-new-internet-protocol

**********************
 - MISCELLANEOUS
**********************
Editorial: Web freedom vs. Web piracy
The massive Internet protest against PIPA and SOPA may have blocked flawed bills, but their intent and language need to be better aligned so they can move ahead. ... The original versions of PIPA and SOPA would have enabled the Justice Department to seek court orders to seize the domain names of foreign sites that were either "dedicated to" infringing copyrights and trademarks or just facilitating infringement. Such orders would require Internet service providers to steer users away from the sites, search engines to block links to them, and payment processors and advertising networks to cut off their financial support. The measures would also have authorized copyright holders to seek similar court orders against any site dedicated to infringement.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinionla/la-ed-piracy-20120121,0,4362288.story

Don?t Stop at SOPA: SOPA and PIPA are (almost) dead. Now can we talk about the law that already exists?
Opposition to the Protect IP Act (?PIPA?) and Stop Online Piracy Act (?SOPA?) reached a fever pitch this week, following a coordinated effort by a number of technology companies and technology-related websites that included a day-long Internet ?blackout? in protest of the proposed bills. And the opposition seems to have been remarkably successful, with the White House announcing its opposition to the bills and so many senators and representatives?including many former co-sponsors of the bills?withdrawing their support over the last few days that both the Senate and House have shelved consideration of their respective bills.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/01/sopa_and_pipa_are_almost_dead_now_can_we_talk_about_the_law_that_already_exists_.html

SOPA, PIPA Stalled: Meet the OPEN Act
SOPA and PIPA may have been put on hold -- thanks to possibly the most contentious uproar seen on Capitol Hill and in the tech world ever -- but other legislation was introduced this week to combat online piracy.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/248525/sopa_pipa_stalled_meet_the_open_act.html
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9223617/SOPA_PIPA_Stalled_Meet_the_OPEN_Act

Sopa is bad legislation, tweets EU's internet tsar [AP]
The EU's internet tsar has added her voice to resistance to the Stop Online Piracy Act (Sopa) in an unusually open comment on US legislation.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/20/sopa-online-piracy-bad-legislation
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/eu-internet-tsar-tweets-against-sopa-20120121-1qasc.html
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-technology/eu-internet-tsar-tweets-against-sopa-20120121-1qasc.html

After an Online Firestorm, Congress Shelves Antipiracy Bills
Congressional leaders on Friday indefinitely shelved two antipiracy bills that had rallied the Internet and rocked Capitol Hill, dealing a major defeat to the traditional media industry while emboldening a new breed of online political activists.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/technology/senate-postpones-piracy-vote.html

Protect IP, SOPA supporters vow not to give up fight
Internet opponents of a pair of controversial Hollywood-backed copyright bills won a temporary reprieve today, when upcoming votes in the Senate and House of Representatives were postponed.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57363243-281/protect-ip-sopa-supporters-vow-not-to-give-up-fight/

What?s the Best Way to Protect Against Online Piracy?
In response to online protests on Wednesday, several key Congressional lawmakers withdrew support for two anti-Web piracy measures ? the Stop Online Piracy Act and the Protect Intellectual Property Act ? both of which have the backing of powerful commercial lobbies. Although the reaction was a victory for new media, online intellectual piracy remains a serious issue.
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/01/18/whats-the-best-way-to-protect-against-online-piracy/

Hollywood Loses SOPA Story - In Piracy Debate, Even Chief Lobbyist Dodd Is Muzzled
The entertainment industry moved to counter growing opposition to antipiracy bills that seemed certain to be laws just weeks ago. But its efforts appeared to have little effect as a number of congressional leaders dropped their support for the legislation.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204555904577168843130020190.html

Senators drop support of piracy bill after protests
Support for two online piracy bills in Congress appeared to wane Wednesday after opponents of the legislation staged a dramatic protest in which vast swaths of the Web effectively went dark.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/senators-drop-support-of-piracy-bill-after-protests/2012/01/18/gIQA848M9P_story.html

Stopping SOPA - A backlash from the internet community against attempts to rein in content thieves
After this week a lot more people will know that SOPA stands for the Stop Online Piracy Act. Some 30m-40m of them, estimated Wikipedia?s founder, Jimmy Wales, could have gone to the English-language version of his website on January 18th only to find it replaced by a dark, foreboding page headlined ?Imagine a World Without Free Knowledge? and explaining SOPA?s perils. A few other sites such as Reddit, a popular link-sharing service, shuttered themselves too, while Google blacked out its logo for American users, who number about 56m a day.
http://www.economist.com/node/21543173

Internet Society Supports Actions to Raise Awareness of the Consequences of Proposed U.S. Legislation, SOPA [news release]
Policies mandating DNS filtering undermine the open architecture of the Internet and raise human rights and freedom of expression concerns
http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-supports-actions-raise-awareness-consequences-proposed-us-legislation-sopa

Google says 4.5 million people signed anti-SOPA petition today
When Google speaks, the world listens. And today, when Google asked its users to sign a petition protesting two anti-piracy laws circulating in Congress, millions responded.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2012/01/google-anti-sopa-petition.html

After Outcry, SOPA Backers Are Mainly Democrats
The push for antipiracy legislation brought lawmakers together for much of the past year, but in the Senate at least, the support that remains after nationwide protests appears to be mostly from Democrats.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203750404577171270036110402.html

Opinion: SOPA: Legitimising censorship?
It would have been the most expensive political ad buy in the history of the world. Google's search engine, the most visited website in the world, displays a black block over its logo. Wikipedia, the sixth most visited site globally, has disabled its English-language service. This unprecedented action to oppose legislation under consideration in the US Congress signals the importance of the private sector in Internet policy - and it won't stop here.
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/01/201211971416731495.html

Senate leaders from both parties back away from PROTECT IP
The PROTECT IP Act continued to suffer serious blows on Thursday as both the Senate Majority Leader and the Senate Minority Leader made moves that further damaged the anti-piracy bill's chances of passage. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) will not seek to use his leverage over other Democrats to ensure the Protect IP Act gets enough votes to overcome a filibuster. Meanwhile, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) joined other Republican senators in blasting Reid for rushing the legislation to the Senate floor.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/senate-leaders-of-both-parties-back-away-from-protect-ip.ars

Internet Blackout Protest 'Veered Off Course'
The online community is buzzing about the blackout protest staged on Wednesday by major US websites against proposed anti-piracy legislation. While the efforts certainly gained attention for their cause, German commentators say they may have missed the point.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,810106,00.html

No SOPA for Australia: AG
The Attorney-General's Department has answered Greens Party concerns that a Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), like that in the US, could find its way to Australia given time.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/no-sopa-for-australia-ag-339330107.htm

Internet NZ: Anti-piracy protest gets message across
Internet New Zealand believes the 24 hour website blackout in protest against proposed US anti-piracy laws is a good tactic.
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/nz-website-joins-wikipedia-in-blackout-4692697

Apster Bulletin Issue 11
The first Apster Bulletin of 2012 is now available: This issue's highlights: APNIC to serve as NRO Secretariat during 2012, Asia Pacific Representation activities, APNIC 33 draft program available & APNIC Labs update.
http://www.apnic.net/publications/news/2012/apster-11

Monte Cahn and Oversee.net go to trial next week
Monte Cahn and Oversee.net will square off in court on January 24, but it will be a limited non-jury trial over just a couple aspects of Cahn?s breach of contract claim.
http://domainnamewire.com/2012/01/19/monte-cahn-oversee-trial/

ARIN propagandizes the bankruptcy bar by Milton Mueller
The January 5 issue of BNA?s Bankruptcy Law Reporter (24 BBLR 32) contains a remarkable article by the attorneys for the American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN). It poses as a neutral, informative article about how trustees for firms entering bankruptcy court can ?obtain the highest value? for their Internet Protocol address blocks when they are put up for sale. But one should be cautious of free legal advice to third parties when it is offered by lawyers hired by ARIN and keenly attuned to its organizational self-interest. The advice will not help IP sellers maximize their value; it is designed, instead to help ARIN preserve its monopoly on brokering the transfer market.
http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2012/1/16/4979764.html

ARNES 2012 Conference - 20 YEARS OF THE INTERNET OF PEOPLE
As part of the SIRikt Festival, on 21 March 2012, Hotel Kompas in Kranjska Gora will host the ARNES 2012 Conference, the main theme of which will be ?20 YEARS OF THE INTERNET OF PEOPLE?.
http://www.arnes.si/en/news/news-item/article/arnes-2012-conference-20-years-of-the-internet-of-people-21-3-2012.html

**********************
 - DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET
**********************
2012 Sales Season Opens With a Flourish: Million Dollar Deal & Two at Six Figures (Including a Big .CA Sale) Set the Pace
The 2012 domain sales season is underway and the aftermarket made a nice break from the gate with three big deals setting the pace this past week. The $1 million sale of Dudu.com that Sedo announced January 5th led the charge.
http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2012/20120118.htm

**********************
INTERNET USE
**********************
Internet nurtures literacy development: Study
The Internet can promote the literacy development of young adults, according to a study by Dr Jen Scott Curwood from the University of Sydney, Australia.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/412958/internet_nurtures_literacy_development_study
http://www.pcworld.com/article/248529/internet_promotes_literacy_study_says.html

How the internet can support adolescent literacy [news release]
Letting your teenager spend time on the internet can promote their literacy development, says the University of Sydney's Dr Jen Scott Curwood.
http://sydney.edu.au/news/84.html?newscategoryid=5&newsstoryid=8511

uk: Online retail sales hit ?50bn
Online retail sales increased by 14% last year to more than ?50bn, with predictions that the growth will continue to hit high streets, according to a new report.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jan/19/online-retail-sales-hit-50bn

*********************************
CHILD PROTECTION & ONLINE SAFETY
*********************************
nz: Cyber-bullying warning after Australia named world's worst
Kiwi parents should be worried by a study naming Australia as the world's worst place for cyber-bullying on social networking sites, say experts.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10779843

nz: Uploaders of fight clips seek notoriety
A desire for notoriety is often behind people uploading fight videos and images online in the hope they will go viral.
http://www.rotoruadailypost.co.nz/news/uploaders-of-fight-clips-seek-notoriety/1245424/

uk: Showing non child-friendly ads to unregistered YouTube users risks ASA censure, says expert
Advertisers must use YouTube's age-restricting technologies for ads that should not be shown to children if they want to comply with advertising regulations, an expert has said.
http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2012/january-/only-children-friendly-ads-should-be-shown-to-unregistered-youtube-users-says-expert/

Wifi bullies emerge in wired Korean schools
Being the most wired country in the world has opened the way for a new form of bullying in South Korean schools, with victims being forced to pay for Wifi access for their tormentors.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/oukin-uk-korea-schools-bullying-idUKTRE80J0BN20120120
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/korea-schools-bullying-idINDEE80J04Y20120120

Cybermobbing: Viele f?hlen sich hilflos
In Berlin haben Forscher der Technischen Universit?t (TU) untersucht , wie sich Jugendliche als Zeugen von Beleidigungen im Internet oder per Handy (Cybermobbing) verhalten.
http://futurezone.at/digitallife/6985-cybermobbing-viele-fuehlen-sich-hilflos.php

**********************
ONLINE TV & MUSIC
**********************
Web Takes Star Turn in China - Limits on TV Content Spur Growth for Streaming Video Sites
Government restrictions are driving young Chinese to turn off their TV sets and turn on their computers. Advertisers and Western studios are right there with them.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203735304577166500262043274.html

Founder of Shuttered Web Site Sought Limelight
Some uninvited guests showed up at Kim Dotcom?s mansion outside Auckland, New Zealand, on Friday: the police, in two helicopters.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/technology/founder-of-shuttered-file-sharing-site-sought-limelight.html

Is Clicking A Link A Crime? Anonymous Attack On DOJ Tricked Internet Users Into Participating
The hacker collective Anonymous struck again Thursday, launching its largest attack to date that temporarily brought down the websites of the Department of Justice and organizations that represent the movie and music industries.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/20/anonymous-attacks-doj-tricks-users_n_1219692.html

U.S. Shuts Offshore File-Share 'Locker'
The Federal Bureau of Investigation shut down one of the world's most popular file-sharing websites as a debate rages in Washington over whether to give the government new powers to crack down on Internet pirates.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204616504577171060611948408.html

7 Charged as F.B.I. Closes a Top File-Sharing Site
In what the federal authorities on Thursday called one of the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought, the Justice Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation seized the Web site Megaupload and charged seven people connected with it with running an international enterprise based on Internet piracy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html

Hackers retaliate over Megaupload website shutdown
Hackers have targeted the US government and copyright organisations following the shutdown of the Megaupload file-sharing website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16646023

Hackers take out US site in retaliation for Megaupload.com arrests [NewsCore]
Hackers aligned with the global cyber-collective known as Anonymous have claimed responsibility for taking down at least six prominent websites.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/hackers-take-out-us-site-in-retaliation-for-megauploadcom-arrests/story-e6frgakx-1226249368924

Anonymous retaliates for Megaupload shutdown, attacks DOJ, others [IDG]
The hacker group Anonymous is claiming responsibility for attacks that have taken down websites run by Universal Music, the U.S. Department of Justice and the Recording Industry Association of America in retaliation for the government's removal of the Megaupload websites.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9223566/Anonymous_retaliates_for_Megaupload_shutdown_attacks_DOJ_others
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/248445/anonymous_retaliates_for_megaupload_shutdown_attacks_doj_others.html

Megaupload file-sharing site shut down
Megaupload, one of the internet's largest file-sharing sites, has been shut down by officials in the US.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16642369

US government hits Megaupload with mega piracy indictment
The US government has closed down one of the world's largest filesharing websites, accusing its founders of racketeering, money laundering and presiding over "massive" online piracy.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/19/us-government-megaupload-piracy-indictment

MegaUpload file sharing site shut down for piracy by Feds
The Department of Justice announced Thursday that it has conducted a major action to shut down MegaUpload, a popular file-sharing site widely used for free downloads of movies and television shows.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/01/file-sharing-megaupload-shut-down-for-piracy-by-feds.html

MegaUpload was a 'mega conspiracy,' Justice Department alleges
MegaUpload, one of the world's largest file-sharing websites, was shut down Thursday by the U.S. Department of Justice, which accused it of violating piracy and copyright laws.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2012/01/megaupload-shut-down.html

Why the feds smashed Megaupload
The US government dropped a nuclear bomb on "cyberlocker" site Megaupload today, seizing its domain names, grabbing $50 million in assets, and getting New Zealand police to arrest four of the site's key employees, including enigmatic founder Kim Dotcom. In a 72-page indictment unsealed in a Virginia federal court, prosecutors charged that the site earned more than $175 million since its founding in 2005, most of it based on copyright infringement.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/why-the-feds-smashed-megaupload.ars

Justice Department Charges Leaders of Megaupload with Widespread Online Copyright Infringement [news release]
Seven individuals and two corporations have been charged in the United States with running an international organized criminal enterprise allegedly responsible for massive worldwide online piracy of numerous types of copyrighted works through Megaupload.com and other related sites, generating more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and causing more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners, the U.S. Justice Department and FBI announced today.
http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/justice-department-charges-leaders-of-megaupload-with-widespread-online-copyright-infringement
http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2012/January/12-crm-074.html

New Zealand Police Arrest MegaUpload Founder
After months of planning New Zealand police swooped on MegaUpload Ltd.'s founder Kim Dotcom's home as guests arrived at a home on the outskirts of New Zealand's largest city Auckland to celebrate his birthday.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204301404577172010520529848.html

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom arrested in Auckland
The four Auckland-based men arrested in relation to the Megaupload case have appeared in the North Shore District Court this afternoon.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/megaupload-founder-kim-dotcom-arrested-in-auckland

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom held in NZ [AAP]
A computer hacker turned online file-sharing tycoon is the man at the centre of an FBI-led crackdown on online piracy that has spread to New Zealand.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/412942/megaupload_founder_kim_dotcom_held_nz/

Megaupload case raises question of provider knowledge
How much knowledge does a platform provider need to have of the files being traded on their system before they can be considered culpable?
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/megaupload-case-raises-question-of-provider-knowledge

nz: Copyright accused denied bail
Four men made a brief appearance in an Auckland court today after police raided 10 addresses in Auckland linked to a US investigation into international copyright infringement and money laundering.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10780033

NZ residents arrested in internet piracy bust
Website Megaupload.com, which was shut down by authorities over allegations that it illegally peddled copyrighted materials, is trying to get back online as its founder sits in an Auckland jail.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/6290634/NZ-residents-arrested-in-internet-piracy-bust

nz: Dotcom gets set to battle copyright allegations
The mastermind of the alleged piracy operation that spanned the globe is fighting back.
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/megaupload-attempts-get-back-online-report-4695303

NZ web tycoon accused of piracy
An internet millionaire with New Zealand residency who founded one of the world's largest internet file-sharing sites will appear in court this afternoon.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10779963

nz: Site's fans will simply turn to alternatives
Teenagers throughout New Zealand and millions of others around the world were the most likely users of popular file-sharing site Megaupload - but they have a host of alternatives to use after its demise.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10780136

**********************
MOBILE/WIRELESS
**********************
Android Is No. 1, But Google Says It Still Makes Little Money
In just three years, Android has become the king of mobile operating systems. But it?s only now starting to make money for Google, says Larry Page, Google?s chief executive.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/android-small-revenues/

Samsung suffers German court setback in Apple battle
A German court ruled against Samsung Electronics Co in a patent suit versus Apple, another leg in a long legal battle as the two technology giants jostle for top spot in the booming smartphone and tablet markets.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/samsung-apple-idINDEE80J07B20120120

**********************
ONLINE CRIME & LEGAL
**********************
Antipiracy Case Sends Shivers Through Some Legitimate Storage Sites
If Megaupload is guilty, then who among its brethren is innocent? On Thursday, federal authorities shut the Web site of Megaupload, a file-sharing service, and accused its operators of copyright infringement and running a vast ?Mega Conspiracy.? They could face 20 years in prison.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/technology/antipiracy-case-sends-shivers-through-some-legitimate-storage-sites.html

Megaupload shutdown raises new Internet-sharing fears
The Justice Department?s shutdown of the popular file-sharing site Mega?upload.com reverberated across the Internet on Friday, sparking fresh questions for major Web companies while rattling millions of users of sites like it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/megaupload-shutdown-raises-new-internet-sharing-fears/2012/01/20/gIQATHRtEQ_story.html

Inside the Lavish Life Of Web's Mr. Dotcom
Kim Schmitz legally changed his surname to Dotcom at some point over the last decade, an homage to the technology that made him a millionaire and that has now landed him in a New Zealand jail.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203750404577173243494465660.html

ACLU & EFF to Appeal Secrecy Ruling in Twitter/WikiLeaks Case [news release]
Fighting to make public government efforts to obtain Internet users' private information without a warrant, today the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) plan to file an appeal in the legal battle over the records of several Twitter users in connection with the government's WikiLeaks investigation.
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/aclu-eff-appeal-secrecy-ruling-twitterwikileaks-case

**********************
SECURITY
**********************
Opinion: Cyber War: Reality or Hype?
During his confirmation hearings this past June, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta warned the Senate, "The next Pearl Harbor we confront could very well be a cyber attack that cripples our grid, our security systems, our financial systems, our governmental systems." The use of Pearl Harbor provided powerful imagery: a mighty fleet reduced to smoking ruin, an expansionist Asian power at the nation's doorstep.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/conn-hallinan/cyber-war-reality-or-hype_b_1219843.html

**********************
PRIVACY
**********************
Europe to issue tough new data-protection rules soon
The European Union will propose tough new rules in the coming days on how corporations handle Internet users' personal data, a long-awaited move that could have far-reaching implications for Web giants such as Google Inc and Facebook.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/01/22/uk-eu-data-idUKTRE80L0QN20120122

EU Data-Privacy Rules Require Quick Disclosure
A European Union proposal to simplify and toughen the region?s data-protection rules will require companies to disclose data breaches within 24 hours of their occurrences, Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-22/eu-s-reding-says-users-to-be-told-of-data-hacks-within-24-hours.html

For Online Privacy, Click Here
Something viewed online billions of times a month would seem to need no further promotion, but that assumption falls short when the something in question ? a turquoise triangle in the upper right-hand corner of banner ads ? is a critical piece of the debate about online privacy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/business/media/the-push-for-online-privacy-advertising.html

Kroes to close UK online privacy inquiry as new rules emerge - source
The European Commission (EC) will on Wednesday end an infringement procedure against the UK for failing to protect internet users' privacy, the same day as the EC unveils stricter privacy controls, an official close to Commissioner Neelie Kroes said.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/eu-privacy-idINDEE80J0IR20120120

**************************
GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY
**************************
EU urges balance between copyright, internet freedom [AFP]
Governments must strike a balance between policing the internet to protect copyright and upholding freedom of expression, EU justice commissioner Viviane Reding said.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10780560

'Mega'-Indictment Shows U.S. Already Has International Piracy Chops
The indictment reads like a shopping list for an MTV reality show: a Lamborghini, 15 Mercedes-Benzes, a Rolls-Royce Phantom, 65-inch big-screen TVs, and of course, a Jet Ski.
http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20120120_6777.php

[...]

Rick Falkvinge: the Swedish radical leading the fight over web freedoms - The tech entrepreneur launched the Pirate party to fight online censorship. Now, it is Europe's fastest growing political group
With his polished shoes, and formal three-piece pinstriped suit, Rick Falkvinge looks like the kind of man you might meet to discuss your tax affairs, or the finer points of your investment portfolio.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/22/rick-falkvinge-swedish-radical-web-freedoms

**********************
TELECOMMUNICATIONS
**********************
Olympic demands test telecoms capacity
The Ministry of Defence, Civil Aviation Authority and Home Office are to relinqush communications resources to safeguard telecoms capacity for the 2012 Olympic Games.
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/14a1f486-4501-11e1-be2b-00144feabdc0.html

Is WiMAX 2 ITU nod too little, too late?
The next generation of mobile broadband officially has been standardized, and it may come as a surprise to some that WiMAX still has a role to play, at least according to the International Telecommunications Union. The ITU has approved its IMT-Advanced standards, including not only the LTE Advanced specification, but also WiMAX 2 WirelessMAN-Advanced spec.
http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/wimax-2-itu-nod-too-little-too-late/2012-01-22

au: Economist backs NBN's undertaking
NBN Co has urged the competition regulator to accept its 30-year undertaking for running the National Broadband Network (NBN), with analyst group Synergies Economic Consulting giving the undertaking the thumbs up.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/economist-backs-nbns-undertaking-339330100.htm

Telstra signs submarine cable deal
Telstra International has signed a long-term deal to use a new undersea cable built by Huawei Technologies, putting pressure on Leighton Contractors to line up more customers for its cable on the same route.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/telstra-signs-submarine-cable-deal-20120122-1qc8a.html

Telstra is expected to sign NBN deal soon
Telstra could sign a key commercial agreement with the NBN Co as early as this week, paving the way for it to sign up NBN customers.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/companies/telstra-is-expected-to-sign-nbn-deal-soon/story-fn91v9q3-1226250765406

Super Wi-Fi May Bring Longer-Distance Wireless Internet to More of U.S.
Infrastructure is king. Companies like AT&T and Verizon live and die by the wireless spectrum on which they operate, so when the FCC moved in November 2008 to release TV white space for unlicensed use, it marked a milestone in the evolution of technology.
http://www.govtech.com/pcio/Super-Wi-Fi-May-Bring-Longer-Distance-Wireless-Internet-to-More-of-US.html

Analysis - Europe's telcos no haven with the wolf at the door
Europe's telecom shares have long been seen as safe houses when the wolf is at the door, but recession, fierce competition and costly network upgrades are huffing and puffing at their capacity to pay generous dividends.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/uk-telecoms-dividend-idUKTRE80J0I820120120

**********************************
ARRESTS/COURT CASES FOR ONLINE CHILD PROTECTION
**********************************
us: Manalapan, N.J., Woman Charged with Allegedly Sexually Abusing Minor Girl and Streaming Assault Live Over the Internet [news release]
A Manalapan, N.J., woman was charged today for allegedly sexually abusing a five-year-old girl on more than one occasion and streaming footage of a sexual assault over the Internet, Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer of the Justice Department?s Criminal Division and New Jersey U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman announced.
http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2012/January/12-crm-075.html

(c) David Goldstein 2012

------
David Goldstein

 email: david at goldsteinreport.com

 web:   http://goldsteinreport.com/
         http://davidgoldstein.tel/
 phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery