[DNS] domain name news - 31 January

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:25:28 +1100

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Web founder warns of government security panic
<http://www.afr.com/p/technology/web_founder_warns_of_government_VTeb4lIHB933i6XlEW0UNJ>

Internet founder claims governments can't be trusted with data
<http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2013/s3679053.htm>

Using gTLDs to Build a Robust Consumer Experience for Data Mining
<http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2239944/using-gtlds-to-build-a-robust-consumer-experience-for-data-mining>

Preparing for the Launch of the Trademark Clearinghouse by Elisa Cooper
<https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/preparing-for-the-launch-of-the-trademark-clearinghouse/>

Marketing Activities for New TLDs That Can Start Right Now by Jennie-Marie Larsen
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130128_marketing_activities_for_new_tlds_that_can_start_right_now/>

Largest cyber security exercise ?Cyber Europe 2012?? report published in 23 languages [news release]
<http://www.enisa.europa.eu/media/press-releases/largest-cyber-security-exercise-201ccyber-europe-201220192019-report-published-in-23-languages-by-eu-agency-enisa>

au: Downgrade for cyber security white paper
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/downgrade-for-cyber-security-white-paper/story-e6frg8yo-1226563800851>

Why the Internet works and how to break it by Vinton G Cerf
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/internet/why-the-internet-works-and-how-to-break-it/articleshow/18216249.cms>

The man credited with inventing the World Wide Web sympathises with those who have lost their jobs because of its disruptive economic influence. Tim Berners-Lee also said yesterday the UN should not regulate the internet. Tim Berners-Lee also said yesterday the UN should not regulate the internet.
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/government/inventor-against-net-regulation/story-fn4htb9o-1226564577229>

Web founder warns of government security panic
The inventor of the worldwide web says the federal government?s reaction to cybersecurity threats could impede human rights.
<http://www.afr.com/p/technology/web_founder_warns_of_government_VTeb4lIHB933i6XlEW0UNJ>

Web inventor warns against data storage
The founder of the world wide web has sounded a warning about the dangers posed by governments intent on increasing the level of monitoring and filtering of the online activity of citizens.
<http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/web-inventor-warns-against-data-storage-20130129-2dixg.html>
<http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/web-inventor-warns-against-data-storage-20130129-2dixg.html>

Anonymity needs to go, says Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the world wide web
"Anonymity should not be the norm." This is what Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the man who invented the World Wide Web, believes is required on social networking sites, in order for the web as a whole to advance.
<http://www.news.com.au/technology/anonymity-needs-to-go-says-sir-tim-berners-lee-inventor-of-the-world-wide-web/story-e6frfro0-1226564469363>

Berners-Lee says snoop law could see spies blackmail soldiers
World Wide Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee has declared government collection of data on citizens web surfing and telephony activities ?a very bad idea? after outlining a scenario in which he feels national security could be compromised by caches of armed forces' members online activities.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/29/tim_berners_lee_web_snoop_law_dangerous/>

Internet founder claims governments can't be trusted with data
One of the founders of the internet, Tim Berners-Lee, has attacked a proposal to store all Australians' internet data use, warning it could be misused and that governments can't be trusted to keep the information secret.
<http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2013/s3679053.htm>

Web inventor: Internet should be free
People using file-sharing websites should be given the chance to do the right thing and pay for what they're using, the inventor of the worldwide web says.
<http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10862505>

Internet at its best open and free
The internet should be like a blank sheet of paper for people to write on, says the creator of the World Wide Web.
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/8243377/Internet-at-its-best-open-and-free>

Web inventor criticises data plan [AAP]
A CONTROVERSIAL plan to store information about personal internet and telephone usage in Australia has been criticised by the world wide web's inventor, Sir Tim Berners-Lee.
<http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/web-inventor-criticises-data-plan/story-e6frf7kf-1226564419131>

Will the Internet Remain Free?
>From seemingly out of nowhere, the Internet has become the greatest global platform for free expression the world has ever seen. But will this last?
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karl-grossman/internet-freedom_b_2562205.html>

Government's 'snooping plan' fraught with danger, warns Tim Berners-Lee
THE inventor of the World Wide Web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee has criticised the Federal Government's data retention plan, saying it creates a system of "snooping on people" that is "fraught with danger".
<http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/governments-snooping-plan-is-dynamite-that-is-fraught-with-danger/story-fn7celvh-1226564232450>

Web inventor says proposed data retention laws a "bad idea"
Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the man who invented the world wide web, has issued a warning that Australia?s proposed data retention laws are a ?really, really bad idea?.
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/452142/web_inventor_says_proposed_data_retention_laws_bad_idea_/>

Aussie data retention so dangerous it's 'dynamite': Berners-Lee
Sir Tim Berners-Lee has branded the Australian government's data retention proposals as "fraught with massive danger," and containing the possibility to hold every Australian to ransom if data logs are stolen.
<http://www.zdnet.com/au/aussie-data-retention-so-dangerous-its-dynamite-berners-lee-7000010467/>

Tim Berners-Lee calls data retention a 'really, really bad idea'
Sir Tim Berners-Lee has warned against the Australian Government?s proposal to store individuals? web browsing data, describing the scheme as one fraught with massive danger.
<http://www.itnews.com.au/News/330394,tim-berners-lee-calls-data-retention-a-really-really-bad-idea.aspx>

**********************
DOMAIN NAMES
**********************
**********************
 - ICANN
**********************
Strategic Planning Update
Thank you for your continued interest and support of the ICANN strategic development process. We are energized by the productive dialogue that took place at ICANN45 in Toronto and are making plans for the next phase of strategy development.
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-28jan13-en.htm>

New gTLD Applicant Update Webinar
The Applicant Update Webinars provide updates on evaluation progress, program developments, and other topics of interest to new gTLD applicants. The next webinar will be held on 5 February.
<http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/webinars>

ICANN has found a sub-$500 URS provider
ICANN has picked a provider for its Uniform Rapid Suspension anti-cybersquatting service, one that?s willing to manage cases at under $500 per filing.
<http://domainincite.com/11757-icann-has-found-a-sub-500-urs-provider>

Compliance Overhaul a NON-Start by Garth Bruen
Happy New Year, you're fired. While most of us were getting ready celebrate respective holidays, ICANN was quietly closing a critical office and sending all the staff out to look for new jobs. When asked to confirm this, ICANN's delayed response was pure Orwellian Doublethink. The office was closed because ICANN is "assessing how to effectively grow ICANN resources around the globe." How does one grow global resources while shutting down the Asia-Pacific office right before the Asia-Pacific meeting?
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130130_compliance_overhaul_a_non_start/>

**********************
 - ccTLD & gTLD NEWS
**********************
Can you register a .CA in French? Oui!
It is now possible to register .CA domain names in both English and French. In other words, your domain name can now incorporate the following characters to the left of the "dot" in a .CA domain name: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?.
<http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=4d1605d6-cb02-45c5-ba0c-2444d7d999fe>

.com is still the best choice - Especially for a small business like mine
You would think something like registering domain names would be one part of our industry that?s relatively controversy free ? but not so. In November, Verisign?s contract to operate .com was renewed, but it didn?t go as smoothly as you might expect.
<http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/82256>

fr: Entrepreneurs, choose the domain name that suits you best, with Afnic
At the French Trade Fair for Entrepreneurs in Paris on 6 and 7 February, Afnic is hosting a workshop especially for you.
<http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/6644/show/entrepreneurs-choose-the-domain-name-that-suits-you-best-with-afnic.html>

**********************
 - NEW TLDS
**********************
Using gTLDs to Build a Robust Consumer Experience for Data Mining
... There are several key strategies I have been covering in this series of articles about gTLDs, and today the focus is on building a robust consumer experience for data mining. One of the key distinctions of owning a .brand vs. a brand.com is that the .brand is owned by the brand owner. This means the brand owns the entire registry including all raw data associated with operating a registry. Just as VeriSign has ownership over all the data associated with .coms, brand owners with a gTLD will be able to tap into their own data. This is precisely why Google made such a bold move of applying for nearly 100 gTLDs - it recognizes the data play of gTLDs.
<http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2239944/using-gtlds-to-build-a-robust-consumer-experience-for-data-mining>

Thinking Carefully About Objections - String Confusion (Part 1 of 4) by Don Moody
Since speaking last fall on community-based TLDs at the New gTLD Summit in Los Angeles, I have been asked a number of times to provide input on the objections ICANN allows in its New gTLD Applicant Guidebook ("AGB" or simply the "Guidebook"). As the March 13 deadline approaches, I now present the first of a series of four spotlight articles on the subject -- one on each of the four permissible grounds for objection.
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130130_thinking_carefully_about_objections_string_confusion_1_of_4/>

Domain Industry Expresses Concerns To ICANN On Use Of Generic Keyword TLDs
Concerns about what companies plan to do with some of their generic keyword new TLDs have been expressed by one of Ireland's leading registrars and hosting companies.
<http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=19704>
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/01/28/concerns-generic-keyword-tlds/>
<http://www.domainnews.com/en/domain-industry-expresses-concerns-to-icann-on-use-of-generic-keyword-tlds.html>

ICANN CEO's Admissions That ICANN Is Not Ready For New gTLDs Should Concern Everyone by David Mitnick
ICANN CEO Fadi Chehade gave an alarming assessment of the state of the New gTLD program... It was admirable for Mr. Chehade to stand up and talk frankly about the state of the New gTLD program. It is important for everyone going through the process of applying for a New gTLD to understand the constraints and limitations that ICANN is dealing with as it tries to implement the program, as well as the wider Internet community that will be affected by the new extensions.
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130129_icann_ceos_admissions_icann_is_not_ready_for_new_gtlds_concern/>

ICANN Boss: We're Not Ready To Launch These Half-Baked New gTLDs, So Let's Launch Them
We've talked about the fact that the whole gTLD process was hopelessly corrupt, as it was more or less driven by those who sought to profit from the system -- folks who ran (or hoped to run) domain registration offerings. And, the entire thing seemed based around getting a ridiculous amount of money to launch these new TLDs and then run around convincing companies they need to pay up for new domains before someone else snaps them up.
<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130130/02052521823/icann-boss-were-not-ready-to-launch-these-half-baked-new-gtlds-so-lets-launch-them.shtml>

Preparing for the Launch of the Trademark Clearinghouse by Elisa Cooper
With the Trademark Clearinghouse (TMCH) expected to begin accepting submissions within the next month or so, many companies are now attempting to identify marks for inclusion. As a reminder, the TMCH is a centralized repository of validated rights which will be used in support of ICANN's New gTLD Program. Submissions to the TMCH enable brand owners to register their trademarks as domain names during so-called Sunrise Periods. more?
<https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/preparing-for-the-launch-of-the-trademark-clearinghouse/>

Marketing Activities for New TLDs That Can Start Right Now by Jennie-Marie Larsen
Sitting on the plane after a tightly packed 3 days in Amsterdam for the regional registrars meeting, I'm bursting with ideas and thoughts. The highlight of the event for me was the meeting organized by Google to propose the creation of a trade association on behalf of TLDs. Brilliant and long overdue. The comedy of the situation the domain name industry has lived with since its inception, is the fact that it actually doesn't exist in the eyes and minds of the average business or consumer. Domain names are simply a by-product of websites, or possibly even web-hosting.
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130128_marketing_activities_for_new_tlds_that_can_start_right_now/>

.Shop Applicant Tells ICANN On String Similarity There are Only 56 Unique Generic Strings
A letter sent by one of the .Shop applicants to ICANN chats about what I see as the next big issue for the ICANN new gTLD process which is String Similarity.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/01/30/shop-applicant-tells-icann-on-string-similarity-there-are-only-56-unique-generic-strings/>

Cyrillic domain .mkd chosen in MARnet online poll
For domestic use, readers decided to pick the Cyrillic domain .???, shows an online poll by the Macedonian Academic Research Network (MARnet) published on its website. The voting ended on 15 January 2013. Several proposals, including .???, .???, .??????????, .????, .?? and .????, were offered in the poll. 72.98% out of a total of 2,288 citizens deemed that .??? should be used as a domain.
<http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/22592/45/>
<http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/22592/48/>

What's in a top-level domain name? A unique domain extension can help define your identity on the web
ICANN is currently in the process of evaluating 1,930 applications for new gTLDs, in the hope of ushering in a new era for the Internet and enabling organisations to register domains such as .shop or .bank alongside existing gTLDs like .com and .org.
<http://features.techworld.com/networking/3422625/whats-in-top-level-domain-name/>

If You Get An Objection To Your String, You Have To Pay The Fees Upfront Too
If your are an applicant for a new gTLD and someone files a formal objection to your application, not only does the objector have to pay the fees, but the applicant for the new gTLD has to pay the fees as well.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/01/29/if-you-get-an-objection-to-your-string-you-have-to-pay-the-fees-upfront-too/>

**********************
 - DNS SECURITY
**********************
Largest cyber security exercise ?Cyber Europe 2012?? report published in 23 languages [news release]
ENISA has published the new report of the largest ever pan-Europe cyber security exercise, Cyber Europe 2012, which is available in 23 languages. Almost 600 individual players participated, including actors from the private sector (financial, telecom and Internet), for the first time. The conclusion: for fast and effective response to cyber incidents, knowledge of procedures and information flows is crucial.
<http://www.enisa.europa.eu/media/press-releases/largest-cyber-security-exercise-201ccyber-europe-201220192019-report-published-in-23-languages-by-eu-agency-enisa>

Pentagon Expanding Cybersecurity Force to Protect Networks Against Attacks
The Pentagon is moving toward a major expansion of its cybersecurity force to counter increasing attacks on the nation?s computer networks, as well as to expand offensive computer operations on foreign adversaries, defense officials said Sunday.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/us/pentagon-to-beef-up-cybersecurity-force-to-counter-attacks.html>

Pentagon to boost cybersecurity force
The Pentagon has approved a major expansion of its cybersecurity force over the next several years, increasing its size more than fivefold to bolster the nation?s ability to defend critical computer systems and conduct offensive computer operations against foreign adversaries, according to U.S. officials.
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/pentagon-to-boost-cybersecurity-force/2013/01/19/d87d9dc2-5fec-11e2-b05a-605528f6b712_story.html>

US Cyber Command in 'fivefold' staff expansion
The Pentagon will dramatically increase its cyber-security staff to counter threats against US government computer networks, according to media reports.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21235256>

Pentagon Plans Massive Increase in Cybersecurity Teams
As the Senate pushes for legislation to improve information-sharing on threats and attacks and President Barack Obama prepares to issue an executive order on cybersecurity, the Department of Defense is looking for a massive increase in the number of trained cybersecurity personnel helping to defend the country's private and public networks.
<http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/pentagon-plans-massive-increase-cybersecurity-teams-012813>

Pentagon to add thousands of new cybersecurity jobs
The Pentagon is planning to expand its cybersecurity force nearly fivefold over the next several years in a bid to bolster its defensive and offensive computer capabilities.
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236289/Pentagon_to_add_thousands_of_new_cybersecurity_jobs>
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/452157/pentagon_add_thousands_new_cybersecurity_jobs/>

Experts Say Looming Cyber Warfare Attacks Could Be 'Catastrophic'
Security experts urged businesses and government officials to prepare for the worst as looming cyber warfare concerns continue to bubble up and could even result in the loss of human lives in the future.
<http://mashable.com/2013/01/30/cyber-warfare/>

Evaluation of cyber security risks being undermined by lack of quality information, auditors say
Businesses are concerned about the low quality of information they are being given about cyber security risks, according to a new report by an accountancy firm.
<http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2013/january/evaluation-of-cyber-security-risks-being-undermined-by-lack-of-quality-information-auditors-say/>

Top U.S. firms open to voluntary cybersecurity rules, Senate says
Many Fortune 500 companies support the creation of federal cybersecurity standards to protect them from Internet threats like hacking as long as they are voluntary, according to a Senate survey of top U.S. chief executives released on Wednesday.
<http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/30/uk-usa-cybersecurity-congress-idUKBRE90T15T20130130>

Akamai State of the Internet Report Finds US Second Largest DDoS Attack Source in Q3 2012
Content delivery network provider Akamai Technologies released its State of the Internet report on Wednesday, and found that most attack traffic in Q3 2012 originated from China, the US and Russia.
<http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/akamai-state-of-the-internet-report-finds-us-second-largest-ddos-attack-source-in-q3-2012>

Facebook Graph Search Mines Potentially Rich Data for Phishers, Attackers
Facebook is serious about its new Graph Search feature, which helps users of the social media site narrowly search for friends with common interests in a much more intuitive fashion than a Google search, for example. Founder Mark Zuckerberg had tagged Graph Search the third Facebook pillar, right alongside the site?s news feed and timeline. So why are security and privacy experts nervous?
<http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/facebook-graph-search-mines-potentially-rich-data-phishers-attackers-012813>

50 Million Potentially Vulnerable to UPnP Flaws
UPnPIn a project that found more than 80 million unique IP addresses responding to Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) discovery requests, researchers at Rapid7 were shocked to find that somewhere between 40 and 50 million of those are vulnerable to at least one of three known attacks.
<http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/50-million-potentially-vulnerable-upnp-flaws-012913>

Multilayer DDoS Attacks Have Reset Stage for Network Attacks
Back in the dark days of dial-up connectivity, attackers wouldn?t bother compromising home computers as bots to be used in distributed denial-of-service. The lack of bandwidth made PCs persona non grata in the DDoS world. Instead, attackers targeted Web servers, the only machines with the high-speed broadband connections to make DDoS viable.
<http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/multilayer-ddos-attacks-have-reset-stage-network-attacks-012913>

5 years after major DNS flaw is discovered, few US companies have deployed long-term fix
Five years after the disclosure of a serious vulnerability in the Domain Name System dubbed the Kaminsky bug, only a handful of U.S. ISPs, financial institutions or e-commerce companies have deployed DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC ) to alleviate this threat.
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/012913-dnssec-266197.html>
<http://www.itworld.com/security/338933/5-years-after-major-dns-flaw-discovered-few-us-companies-have-deployed-long-term-fix>

Data Centers, Cloud Services a Primary Online Threat Target: Arbor Report
Network security solutions provider Arbor Networks released its annual Worldwide Infrastructure Security report for the eighth year this week, highlighting some of the key trends and threats facing internet infrastructure, including the fact that data center and cloud services environments are increasingly the targets of malicious activity.
<http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/data-centers-cloud-services-a-primary-online-threat-target-arbor-report>

Service Providers In The DDoS, APT Bull's Eye
Nearly half of service providers this year were hit with multi-layered DDoS attacks that use both network traffic-overload and application-layer tactics, up from around 27 percent last year, according to the newly published Arbor Networks Annual Worldwide Infrastructure Security Report report.
<http://www.darkreading.com/mobile-security/167901113/security/attacks-breaches/240147306/service-providers-in-the-ddos-apt-bull-s-eye.html>

DDoS attack sizes plateau, complex multi-vector attacks on the rise
Arbor Networks released its 8th Annual Worldwide Infrastructure Security Report (WISR) offering a rare view into the most critical security challenges facing today?s network operators.
<http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=14323>

Arbor Networks: Targeted DDoS Attacks, Mobile Security Gaps
Denial-of-Service attacks pose a serious risk to business continuity, but enterprises are increasingly relying on ISP and third-party service providers to mitigate the threat, according to a study released Tuesday by Arbor Networks.
<http://www.crn.com/news/security/240147203/arbor-networks-targeted-ddos-attacks-mobile-security-gaps.htm>

DDoS attacks, mobile traffic visibility top security concerns: Arbor [CIO]
More than 90 per cent of data centre operators are experiencing distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks, according to Arbor Networks? 8th Annual Worldwide Infrastructure Security Report.
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/452104/ddos_attacks_mobile_traffic_visibility_top_security_concerns_arbor/>

UPnP flaws expose tens of millions of networked devices to remote attacks, researchers say
Tens of millions of network-enabled devices including routers, printers, media servers, IP cameras, smart TVs and more can be attacked over the Internet because of dangerous flaws in their implementation of the UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) protocol standard, security researchers from Rapid7 said Tuesday in a research paper.
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236298/UPnP_flaws_expose_tens_of_millions_of_networked_devices_to_remote_attacks_researchers_say>

Networked devices vulnerable due to UPnP flaws
Nearly 23 million Internet Protocol addresses attached to devices such as networked printers, routers, IP cameras, media servers and smart TVs are exposed to Web-based attacks because of flaws in the UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) protocol of those devices, according to vulnerability testing firm Rapid7.
http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/networked-devices-vulnerable-due-to-upnp-flaws/146668

Browser-hijacking malware talks to attackers using SPF email validation protocol [IDG]
A new Trojan program that displays rogue advertisements during browsing sessions uses a DNS-based email validation protocol called the Sender Policy Framework (SPF) in order to receive instructions from attackers without being detected, according to security researchers from Symantec.
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/012813-browser-hijacking-malware-talks-to-attackers-266185.html>

au: Downgrade for cyber security white paper
A GOVERNMENT white paper dealing with the threat of cyber hacking and espionage has been quietly shelved and replaced with a more general discussion paper on the digital economy.
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/downgrade-for-cyber-security-white-paper/story-e6frg8yo-1226563800851>

**********************
 - DOMAIN DISPUTES
**********************
Chanel Domain Seizure Page
Chanel is targeted by companies selling cheaper knock offs of their products, as are most brands. They?ve probably been pursuing and seizing domains etc., for years, but I?d never landed on one until today. This is what I got:
<http://www.internetnews.me/2013/01/28/chanel-domain-seizure-page/>

Chrysler Files UDRP For Nearly 1,000 Domain Names
I was checking out the recent UDRP filings at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), and I saw that Chrysler filed a UDRP for almost 1,000 domain names. In total, there were 940 domain names listed in this single UDRP filing.
<http://www.elliotsblog.com/chrysler-files-udrp-for-nearly-1000-domain-names-9064>

Herbalife registers internet domain names featuring Bill Ackman's name
Herbalife appears to be preparing to launch a campaign against Bill Ackman, the billionaire activist investor who accused the dietary supplements company of being "the best managed pyramid scheme in the history of the world". ... Domain registration documents show Herbalife, which has a $4bn (?2.5bn) turnover, registered the websites on 18 January, shortly after Ackman accused the company of duping some of the world's poorest people out of $3.8bn (?2.4bn) by running an elaborate Ponzi scheme. The registered sites are currently blank.
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/30/herbalife-register-domain-name-bill-ackman>

**********************
 - IPv4/IPv6
**********************
Why Hasn?t Everyone Moved To IPv6?
We?ve known for decades that the available pool of IPv4 address was eventually going to dry up, but despite numerous warnings usage of its successor IPv6 is still minimal. Why haven?t we migrated yet? Geoff Huston, chief scientist for regional internet registry APNIC, suggests that the answer is that carriers are too cheap to make the switch and are happy to rely on network address translation (NAT) systems instead.
<http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/01/why-hasnt-everyone-moved-to-ipv6/>

**********************
 - MISCELLANEOUS
**********************
Leveraging .TV To Extend Brand Visibility
Recently, Verisign welcomed the newest addition to the .tv registry, Lipsy.tv. As a fashion-based retailer in the U.K., Lispy highlights the best and the latest in fashion. The company is leveraging the .tv domain to extend its brand visibility and showcase to consumers interactive content from designers, models and more. By combining video and ecommerce, Lipsy.tv helps provide a more immersive buying experience and gives consumers in-depth looks at products ordinarily not available through static photography.
<http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=19705>
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/01/28/leveraging-tv-to-extend-brand-visibility/>
<http://www.domainnews.com/en/leveraging-tv-to-extend-brand-visibility.html>

Why the Internet works and how to break it by Vinton G Cerf
If the internet was a person, it would be beginning to feel its age this year as it gets into its 30s, with a mid-life crisis looming. As it happens, the internet has never looked better: it's faster, bigger, better and richer than it was in its 20s.
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/internet/why-the-internet-works-and-how-to-break-it/articleshow/18216249.cms>

Tim Berners-Lee speaks: what can we do in NZ?
Last night, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, aka the inventor of the web, presented in Wellington to an InternetNZ-sponsored event, supported (and thank-you) by the Department of Internal Affairs (the NZ Government CIO), Chorus, Catalyst IT and Google.
<http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/tim-berners-lee-speaks-what-can-we-do-nz-ck-135168>

nz: Programming ability is the new digital divide: Berners-Lee
Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee says all school students should be given some hands-on experience of programming, to provide a critical mass of enthusiastic and competent programmers to stem the current shortage of developers.
<http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/programming-ability-is-the-new-digital-divide-berners-lee>

InternetNZ to livestream sold-out Sir Tim Berners-Lee talk at 5.30pm today
What we now call the internet was first developed in the 1960s. But it wasn't until 1990 that the world wide web was developed, and with it the web browser that made it easy for average folk to surf the net - which, of course, became such a persuasive pass time as the 1990s progressed.
<http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/internetnz-livestream-sold-out-sir-tim-berners-lee-talk-530pm-today-ck-135138>

Verisign?s patents: who will the company go after?
Last week Verisign said it would consider ways to monetize its patent portfolio. The company?s patent portfolio is quite broad. In addition to covering domain names, it has patents and patent applications covering everything from digital cameras to online payments to databases to telecom.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/01/28/verisigns-patents-who-will-the-company-go-after/>

Now this is cool: LDS Domain Trends
Matt Mazur just released a killer tool on his Lean Domain Search: Domain Trends. The tool lets you type in any keyword and it will pull up domain registrations by date that include that keyword.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/01/28/now-this-is-cool-lds-domain-trends/>

See DomainTools Data in a Whole New Light with Domain Report ... Introducing Domain Report
Domain Report is simple to use: enter a domain name and we?ll gather nearly everything we know about it into a single downloadable document. With over a decade of ownership and hosting history at our disposal, years of website screenshots, and data from our Name Server Report and our patented Reverse IP Lookup, ?everything we know? is a very comprehensive dataset.
<http://blog.domaintools.com/2013/01/see-domaintools-data-in-a-whole-new-light-with-domain-report/>

DomainTools offers new Domain Reports for $49
DomainTools has released a new one-off product called Domain Report.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/01/30/domaintools-offers-new-domain-reports-for-49/>

**********************
 - DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET
**********************
Sedo to Broker the Sweet Sale of Premium Online Real Estate, Chocolate.com
Sedo ... announced that it will broker the sale of Chocolate.com and its accompanying business. The availability of the valuable ?category killer? domain name represents a rare and unique opportunity for an entrepreneur or chocolate brand of any size to secure a premium place on the web.
<https://sedo.com/presse/presse.php?tracked=&partnerid=&language=e&id=541>

Webfest Global Agenda Released As Conference Just One Week Away
With Webfest Global just a week away, the complete line-up has now been released. Webfest Global is now more than domain names and the aftermarket, but there?s still has a strong domain name emphasis.
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/01/30/webfest-global-agenda/>
<http://www.domainnews.com/en/webfest-global-agenda-released-as-conference-just-one-week-away.html>

3 domain companies team up to give away 4,000 domains at Webfest
Above.com, Rook Media and ParkingCrew are teaming up for a unique promotion during next week?s Webfest: they?re giving away 4,000 domain names.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/01/29/3-domain-companies-team-up-to-give-away-4000-domains-at-webfest/>

Which Webfest auction domains are best?
Last week I previewed some of the domains that were added to the Webfest auction taking place next week in Santa Monica.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/01/29/which-webfest-auction-domains-are-best/>

---------
David Goldstein

email: david at goldsteinreport.com
web:  http://davidgoldstein.tel/
         http://goldsteinreport.com/
phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery