[DNS] auDA domain name news - 28 March

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 06:54:44 +1100

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Chehade to play hard-ball over unilateral right to amend?
<http://domainincite.com/12359-chehade-to-play-hard-ball-over-unilateral-right-to-amend>

DENIC Report Shows .DE Cements Position As Globe's Number One ccTLD
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/03/26/denic-report-de-number-one-cctld/>

Trademark Clearinghouse, To Protect Trademarks In New gTLDs, Launches Today
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/03/26/trademark-clearinghouse-launches-today/>

ICANN: about 274 new gTLD objections filed
<http://domainincite.com/12425-icann-about-274-new-gtld-objections-filed>

ICANN Trademark Clearinghouse: Preregistration Rights Only For Those Who Pay?
<http://www.ip-watch.org/2013/03/26/icann-trademark-clearinghouse-preregistration-rights-only-for-those-who-pay/>

Telstra faces objection over .yellowpages domain
<http://www.itnews.com.au/News/337870,telstra-faces-objection-over-yellowpages-domain.aspx>

Global internet slows after 'biggest attack in history'
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21954636>

VeriSign gets a bump from big events
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/on-small-business/verisign-gets-a-bump-from-big-events/2013/03/25/5d56d28c-931b-11e2-ba5b-550c7abf6384_story.html>

**********************
 - ICANN
**********************
Procedure to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA Labels
This document provides a procedure for establishing some of the Label Generation Rules for the root zone. The procedure provides a mechanism for creating and maintaining the rules with respect to IDN labels for the root.
<http://www.icann.org/en/resources/idn/variant-tlds/lgr-procedure-20mar13-en>

Initial Evaluation Results: New gTLD Director Christine Willett Explains | 22 Mar 2013
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3JVZnidbio>

Reputation is an idle and most false imposition oft got without merit, and lost without deserving. (*)
Since a few weeks, ICANN?s CEO Fadi Chehad? has been travelling the world even more intensely than he did before.  Participation in APNIC, APTLD, IG meetings in Paris, CEO roundtables across the world.
<https://www.centr.org/article/reputation>

Chehade to play hard-ball over unilateral right to amend?
ICANN CEO Fadi Chehade has reportedly indicated that the unilateral right to amend powers ICANN wants to put in its registry and registrar contracts are non-negotiable.
<http://domainincite.com/12359-chehade-to-play-hard-ball-over-unilateral-right-to-amend>

**********************
 - ccTLD & gTLD NEWS
**********************
>From Aachen to Zwickau - The regional distribution of .de domains in Germany in 2012 ? Trends continue
DENIC, the registry for .de domains, presents the results of the regional domain statistics 2012. It includes 14.3 million domains in 402 German towns and districts. Adding to these numbers are more than 860,000 domains of holders whose place of residence is abroad. In total, about 15.3 million .de domains were registered at the end of 2012. Even though growth has slowed down a little, the general trend of domain development of the preceding years continued in 2012.
<http://www.denic.de/en/denic-in-dialogue/news/3645.html>

DENIC Report Shows .DE Cements Position As Globe's Number One ccTLD
Although domain registrations slowed in 2012, .DE cemented its position as number one ccTLD with 15.3 million registrations at the end of 2012. Of these, 14.3 million were registered in Germany, even though anyone anywhere can register a .de domain. The remaining 860,000 plus domains were scattered around the world, but mostly in the United States, Switzerland and The Netherlands.
<http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=20012>
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/03/26/denic-report-de-number-one-cctld/>

Interesting: Regional breakdown of .de domain registrations
I must admit that I don?t follow the .de domain market much. I should, since Germany?s ccTLD is the largest country code domain name in existence with over 15 million domain registrations.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/03/26/de-domain-data-germany/>

fr: Afnic to Consult on Opening Registration to Domain Names with 1 or 2 Characters
Afnic is launching a public consultation on setting up a procedure for registering domain names with one or two characters
<http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/6790/show/afnic-to-consult-on-opening-registration-to-domain-names-with-1-or-2-characters.html>

Afnic Consults On Releasing Single and Two Character Domains
Single and two character domain names could be coming to .fr and other registries Afnic manages should the public consultation underway give the registry the green light.
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/03/26/afnic-consults-single-two-character-domains/>
<http://www.domainnews.com/en/afnic-consults-on-releasing-single-and-two-character-domains.html>

Indonesian Government to Regulate Online Shopping
The Indonesian government has announced it will implement new regulations on e-commerce systems in the country to minimize fraud and build people?s trust in online shopping. ... ?One of the registration requirements is that electronic system providers must use Indonesian domain names,? Azhar said after a discussion on Friday, adding that the new rules will be implemented sometime this year.
<http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/business/indonesian-government-to-regulate-online-shopping/581592>

Indonesia to regulate online shopping
New laws will be introduced this year in the country to minimize fraud and build consumer trust in e-commerce, including the use of Indonesian domain names.
<http://www.zdnet.com/indonesia-to-regulate-online-shopping-7000013048/>

.PW General Availability Opens with more than 4000 orders in 30 minutes!
The .PW Registry today announced the general availability of .PW domain names, which will enable anyone from anywhere to establish their professional presence online. The newest TLD on the block has fast gained worldwide acceptance with over 110 active registrars signing up from 32 countries to offer .PW domain names to customers.
<http://registry.pw/pw-general-availability-opens/>

Directi sells 4,000 .pw domains in first half hour
PW Registry, the Direci unit looking after the .pw registry, said it received orders for 4,000 domain names in its first 30 minutes of general availability today.
<http://domainincite.com/12368-directi-sells-4000-pw-domains-in-first-half-hour>

**********************
 - NEW TLDS
**********************
Trademark Clearinghouse, To Protect Trademarks In New gTLDs, Launches Today
The Trademark Clearinghouse (TMCH), designed to protect trademarks in new gTLDs, launched today (26 March).
<http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=20010>
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/03/26/trademark-clearinghouse-launches-today/>
<http://www.domainnews.com/en/trademark-clearinghouse-to-protect-trademarks-in-new-gtlds-launches-today.html>

Icann launches new brand database
A clearing house set up by net address regulator Icann is aimed at mitigating fears that about new domain names.
<http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21938359>

ICANN gives Amazon approval in top-level domain race
ICANN has published a list of the first 27 gTLDs to have passed its Initial Evaluation, with Amazon scoring some early wins.
<http://news.techworld.com/networking/3436947/icann-gives-amazon-approval-in-top-level-domain-race/>
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/032613-icann-gives-amazon-approval-in-268104.html>

Trademark Clearinghouse launches to protect brands amid gTLD expansion
The new database is aimed at helping companies protect their trademarks with the impending influx of new gTLDs, but it will not be a silver bullet for conflict resolution.
<http://www.zdnet.com/trademark-clearinghouse-launches-to-protect-brands-amid-gtld-expansion-7000013132/>

Five interesting nuggets from the first batch of gTLD evaluations
ICANN gave many in the industry cause for celebration on Friday when it released its first batch of 27 new gTLD applications that have passed Initial Evaluation.
<http://domainincite.com/12356-five-interesting-nuggets-from-the-first-batch-of-gtld-evaluations>

ICANN: about 274 new gTLD objections filed
There have been roughly 274 formal objections against new gTLD applications, ICANN said last night.
<http://domainincite.com/12425-icann-about-274-new-gtld-objections-filed>

Loophole gives trademark owners unlimited Clearinghouse records
Trademark owners will be able to add potentially thousands of strings to the Trademark Clearinghouse due to a recently introduced loophole, it emerged last night.
<http://domainincite.com/12451-loophole-gives-trademark-owners-unlimited-clearinghouse-records>

ICANN to pay $2 million to keep Trademark Clearinghouse ?free? for registrars
ICANN is putting its money where its mouth is when it comes to helping new gTLDs be successful, committing $2 million to keep Trademark Clearinghouse access ?free? for registrars.
<http://domainincite.com/12446-icann-to-pay-2-million-to-keep-trademark-clearinghouse-free-for-registrars>

ICANN to water down contract powers with ?Public Interest Amendments?
ICANN has made a few tweaks to its proposed unilateral-right-to-amend powers in order to fend off open hostility from registries, registrars and new gTLD applicants.
<http://domainincite.com/12433-icann-to-water-down-contract-powers-with-public-interest-amendments>

Mystery web site proposes new gTLD ?string change? system
Somebody out there is bummed that they can?t afford to win their new gTLD contention set.
<http://domainincite.com/12460-mystery-web-site-proposes-new-gtld-string-change-system>

Neustar leading the new gTLD back-end scores so far
New gTLD applications backed by registry service provider Neustar scored the highest results in the first batch of Initial Evaluation results.
<http://domainincite.com/12372-neustar-leading-the-new-gtld-back-end-scores-so-far>

Trademark Protection Increased After Net Expansion
A major part of online protection for brands under the new gTLD regime comes into force Tuesday.
<http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2013/03/25/trademark-protection-increased-after-net-expansion/>

ICANN's Trademark Clearinghouse to Launch Tuesday [IDG]
As the ICANN launches a new trademark clearinghouse on Tuesday, businesses that own trademarks should consider getting involved in the program, some ICANN watchers said.
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/032513-icanns-trademark-clearinghouse-to-launch-268074.html>
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/457263/icann_trademark_clearinghouse_launch_tuesday/>
<http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/icanns-trademark-clearinghouse-to-launch-this-week>

gTLDs: 'clearinghouse' will protect brands
The vast majority of businesses fear new top level domain web addresses will allow cybersquatters to threaten their brands. Jan Corstens says his trademark clearinghouse, which launches today, will make sure legitimate companies are safe.
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/9953081/gTLDs-clearinghouse-will-protect-brands.html>

ICANN Trademark Clearinghouse: Preregistration Rights Only For Those Who Pay?
Starting today, trademark owners from around the world will be able to have their rights recorded in the Trademark Clearinghouse of the ICANN. Designed to help trademark owners manage the flood of new internet domains being launched by ICANN, it?s an open question whether they will be satisfied with it.
<http://www.ip-watch.org/2013/03/26/icann-trademark-clearinghouse-preregistration-rights-only-for-those-who-pay/>

gTLD trademark disputes on the rise as Clearinghouse opens for business [registration]
This week the Trademark Clearinghouse opened for business. While trademark owners consider their strategies, the list of gTLD applications subject to legal rights objections has grown ? with applications from such brands as Coach, Merck and Amazon under scrutiny. Elsewhere though, there was good news for Amazon as it prepares for the expanded online space.
<http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=0e466175-dd1b-456f-afd4-a2bbc655db4c>

Tucows, Directi and Namecheap to combine .online gTLD bids
Three applicants for the .online gTLD appear to have settled their differences in what I believe is the first public example of new gTLD contention set consolidation.
<http://domainincite.com/12420-tucows-directi-and-namecheap-to-combine-online-gtld-bids>

Chutzpah alert! ?Tube? domainer objects to Google?s .tube gTLD bid
Remember the ?mystery gTLD applicant? that had promised to campaign against Google?s closed generic gTLD applications?
<http://domainincite.com/12410-chutzpah-alert-tube-domainer-objects-to-googles-tube-gtld-bid>

Defender Security Files Objections To All 9 Other .Home Applicants
Defender Security Company which is an applicant for  the new gTLD .Home under DotHome Ltd, filed a Legal Rights Objection against the 9 other applicants for the new gTLD .Home.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/03/27/defender-security-files-objections-to-all-9-other-home-applicants/>

United States Postal Service Files Objection To All New gTLD .Mail Applications
The United States Postal Service has filed a Legal Rights Objection with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) against all the new gTLD applications for .Mail.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/03/27/united-states-postal-service-files-objection-to-all-new-gtld-mail-applications/>

ICANN: GAC Expects To Deliver Advice On New gTLDs In Beijing
ICANN has posted that the Government Advisory Council (GAC) Expects to Deliver Advice on New gTLDs in Beijing.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/03/27/icann-gac-expects-to-deliver-advice-on-new-gtlds-in-beijing/>

Company objects to Chinese IDNs over contractual and patent rights
Group that partnered with Chinese government for IDNs claims that new TLDs will infringe contractual and intellectual property rights.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/03/25/chinese-idn-dispute/>

Pinterest objects to Amazon?s plans for .Pin domain name
Pinterest has filed a legal rights objection against Amazon.com over its application to run the .pin TLD.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/03/25/pinterest-objects-to-amazons-plans-for-pin-domain-name/>

It's all in a domain name
The Domain Name System (DNS to its friends) is the part of the internet responsible for translating the arbitrary and human-friendly names we give to computers on the internet into their numerical Internet Protocol (IP) addresses used to direct network traffic. The internet would be unusable without it. So how does this unsung hero of the online world work?
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/8469726/Its-all-in-a-domain-name>

First new top domains Arabic, Chinese [AAP]
THE next billion internet users are not going to be English-speaking, so the next big batch of new domain names will be in Arabic, Chinese or Cyrillic.
<http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/business/breaking-news/first-new-top-domains-arabic-chinese/story-e6freuyr-1226606129144>
<http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/breaking-news/first-new-top-domains-arabic-chinese/story-fnhrvfsf-1226606129144>

Lottery locks in internet names [subscription]
THE world's peak internet naming authority is expected to approve hundreds of new generic top-level domain suffixes over the coming months, with .melbourne expected to beat .sydney to the web.
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/it-business/lottery-locks-in-internet-names/story-e6frganx-1226605838165>

First new top domains Arabic, Chinese [AAP]
The next billion internet users are not going to be English-speaking, so the next big batch of new domain names will be in Arabic, Chinese or Cyrillic.
<http://tvnz.co.nz/technology-news/first-new-top-domains-arabic-chinese-5381617>

AccuWeather vs. Weather Channel for .weather domain name
Maybe we can't control the weather, but two high-level companies want to control the rights to a new Internet domain name, dot-weather.
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/03/26/dot-weather-domain-name-weather-channel-accuweather/2021915/>

Telstra faces objection over .yellowpages domain
International directories and internet services business Hibu has lodged a legal rights objection against Telstra over its application for the gTLD .yellowpages.
<http://www.itnews.com.au/News/337870,telstra-faces-objection-over-yellowpages-domain.aspx>

Donuts Takes Key Step Toward New gTLD Operation, Bolsters Team [news release]
Donuts Inc., a registry for new gTLDs, has passed a key milestone toward operation of new and varied Internet naming options.  ICANN, the industry?s technical coordination body, confirmed with the first wave of results from its evaluations of new gTLD applications that the Donuts registry is technically and financially prepared to operate the gTLDs examined thus far.
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/03/26/donuts-toward-new-gtld-operation/>
<http://www.domainnews.com/en/donuts-takes-key-step-toward-new-gtld-operation-bolsters-team.html>

**********************
 - DNS SECURITY
**********************
African TLDs, ISPs implement DNSSEC to attract more users
Africa's ccTLDs and ISPs have implemented DNSSEC in order to attract more users.
<http://www.cso.com.au/article/457482/african_tlds_isps_implement_dnssec_attract_more_users/>
<http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=BCB29F02-014D-27F1-978C79D1A9ED7716>

Global internet slows after 'biggest attack in history'
The internet around the world has been slowed down in what security experts are describing as the biggest cyber-attack of its kind in history.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21954636>

Firm Is Accused of Sending Spam, and Fight Jams Internet
A squabble between a group fighting spam and a Dutch company that hosts Web sites said to be sending spam has escalated into one of the largest computer attacks on the Internet, causing widespread congestion and jamming crucial infrastructure around the world.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/technology/internet/online-dispute-becomes-internet-snarling-attack.html>

Millions May Be Affected by Web Disruption in Online Attack
Millions of people may have been affected by an attack that caused disruption and a slowdown of the Internet, according to a not-for-profit anti-spam organization that blacklisted a Dutch Web-hosting company.
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-27/millions-may-be-affected-in-web-disruption-anti-spam-group-says.html>

Large-scale DNS DDoS attack on Spamhaus
Almost unnoticed by the public, the most aggressive DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack in the history of the internet was carried out last week. At least this is what the New York Times reports, referring to statements made by a high-ranking member of staff at content distribution provider Akamai. The attack targeted the Spamhaus anti-spam organisation.
<http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Large-scale-DNS-DDoS-attack-on-Spamhaus-1831807.html>

Spear Phishing Cause of South Korean Cyber Attack
It appears that a spear phishing campaign was the genesis for the wiper malware infections that ultimately knocked several prominent South Korean banks and broadcasters offline last week, according to a malware analysis performed by researchers from the Finnish cybersecurity firm F-Secure.
<http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/spear-phishing-cause-south-korean-cyber-attack-032513>

Forcing us to educate users on cybersecurity won't work: Telstra
Trying to educate users on cybersecurity is like leading a horse to water, according to Telstra, and making such education a legal requirement isn't going to solve the problem.
<http://www.zdnet.com/au/forcing-us-to-educate-users-on-cybersecurity-wont-work-telstra-7000013044/>

Tallinn Manual Interprets International Law in Cyberwar Context
When nations eventually adopt ground rules for conflict in cyberspace as they apply in an actual kinetic war, the Tallinn Manual on the International Law Applicable to Cyber Warfare, is likely to be their key reference material in doing so.
<http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/tallinn-manual-interprets-international-law-cyberwar-context-032513>

uk: Anti-cyber threat centre launched
A new initiative to share information on cyber threats between businesses and government is to be launched.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21945702>

U.S. cybersecurity policy draws interest from companies, lobbyists
The determination by Congress and President Obama to protect networks of critical U.S. industries from hackers and cyberspies is creating an explosive growth opportunity ? for lobbyists.
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/us-cybersecurity-policy-draws-interest-from-companies-lobbyists/2013/03/24/916a79f2-9271-11e2-bdea-e32ad90da239_story.html>

Honeypot Stings Attackers With Counterattacks
A Russian researcher who built an aggressive honeypot to test the ability to hack back at attackers mostly ensnared fellow white hat researchers, script kiddies, and some of his friends in his experiment?but he discovered that he had also counterattacked the desktop of an intelligence agency in a nation formerly part of the Soviet Union.
<http://www.darkreading.com/threat-intelligence/167901121/security/attacks-breaches/240151740/honeypot-stings-attackers-with-counterattacks.html>

**********************
 - IPv4/IPv6
**********************
in: Government unveils roadmap for use of new internet addresses
All government organisations should have a plan to shift to a network that supports new version of internet addresses, IPv6, by 2017-end, Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal today said.
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/internet/government-unveils-roadmap-for-use-of-new-internet-addresses/articleshow/19222279.cms>
<http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/technology/internet/centre-unveils-ipv6-roadmap/article4551252.ece>

**********************
 - MISCELLANEOUS
**********************
VeriSign gets a bump from big events
When white smoke began rising earlier this month over the Sistine Chapel, millions of people flocked to television screens to find out who would be the next pope. Meanwhile, an opportunistic few headed to their computers, logged into domain registry sites, and raced to purchase Web sites featuring the name of the church?s new leader ? providing a quick jolt in business for firms such as Reston-based VeriSign.
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/on-small-business/verisign-gets-a-bump-from-big-events/2013/03/25/5d56d28c-931b-11e2-ba5b-550c7abf6384_story.html>

The coming change in domain name search
Sometime this year a key element of the domain search box at GoDaddy.com will disappear: the drop down box containing top level domains such as .com.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/03/26/the-coming-change-in-domain-name-search/>

**********************
 - DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET
**********************
HealthInsurance.net Sold For $525,000 - Plus .PW  Opens to the Public
We have learned that HealthInsurance.net has been sold for $525,000. John Mcknight and William Foster of Adaptive Insurance Services, LLC sold the well developed website to an undisclosed buyer (the WhoIs record currently shows Moniker Privacy Services contact information). The website, that operates as the Health Insurance Network, allows users to enter their zip code to get policy quotes from leading insurance providers in their area.
<http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2013/dailyposts/20130325.htm>

**********************
INTERNET USE
**********************
TV time 'does not breed badly behaved children'
Spending hours watching TV or playing computer games each day does not harm young children's social development, say experts.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21923930>

Is racism in online gaming the fault of the games ? or the players?
Is the world of online gaming racist? Thursday was the UN's International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination or, if you prefer, Don't Be Racist Day. But for many black gamers there is unlikely to have been much respite.
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/shortcuts/2013/mar/22/is-racism-online-gaming-fault-industry-players>

Ads That Speak the Language of Social Media
Madison Avenue is offering consumers a status update on just how pervasive social media have become. The language of social media ? ?fans,? ?friend request,? ?like,? ?social network? and, yes, ?status update? ? is increasingly appearing in advertising, whether or not those ads are running in social media like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Such ads are also increasingly being aimed at mainstream consumers, not just the younger consumers who were the early adopters of social media.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/business/media/ads-that-speak-the-language-of-social-media.html>

Google and Sweden in war of words over ogooglebar
There's now officially no word for "ungoogleable", meaning "impossible to find via web search" in Swedish ? although there was a term until this week.
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/mar/27/google-sweden-ogooglebar>

Who, What, Why: What is 'ungoogleable'?
The word "ungoogleable" has been removed from a list of new Swedish words after a trademark spat. But it raises the question of what can and can't be found with a search engine.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21956743>

**********************
SOCIAL MEDIA
**********************
What You Didn?t Post, Facebook May Still Know
... In shaping its targeted advertising strategy, it is no longer relying solely on what Facebook users reveal about themselves. Instead, it is tapping into outside sources of data to learn even more about them ? and to sell ads that are more finely targeted to them. Facebook says that this way, marketers will be able to reach the right audience for the right products, and consumers will see advertisements that are, as the company calls it, ?relevant? to them.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/26/technology/facebook-expands-targeted-advertising-through-outside-data-sources.html>

*********************************
CHILD PROTECTION & ONLINE SAFETY
*********************************
nz: Digital sweeps urged to curb e-bullies
Cyber-bullying is becoming a huge problem for schools, and principals have been lobbying hard for the power to seize and search pupils' electronic devices, the outgoing president of the Secondary School Principals Association says.
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/8473238/Digital-sweeps-urged-to-curb-e-bullies>

**********************
ONLINE TV, MUSIC & PIRACY
**********************
Nokia and Google clash on web video tech
Nokia and Google have clashed over software that is part of free-to-use video encoding technology.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21922814>

**********************
MOBILE/WIRELESS
**********************
Mobile's browser usage share jumps 26% in three months
Mobile-based browsing has tripled in the last two years, and is making significant inroads on traditional Internet access from personal computers, according to statistics from a Web metrics company.
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9237855/Mobile_s_browser_usage_share_jumps_26_in_three_months>

Mobile location data 'present anonymity risk'
Scientists say it is remarkably easy to identify a mobile phone user from just a few pieces of location information. Whenever a phone is switched on, its connection to the network means its position and movement can be plotted.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21923360>

at: Rise in mobile apps triggers data protection concerns
Mobile applications are convenient, entertaining, easy to handle, cheap and versatile. However, the processing of other people's personal data through an app triggers full responsibility under data protection laws. Users would thus be well advised to consider whether they would wish to have their own data processed in the same way before processing other people's data through an app.
<http://www.internationallawoffice.com/Newsletters/Detail.aspx?g=3603d5b3-77d1-4c47-8360-2679c2991f53>

**********************
SPAM
**********************
[...]

Privacy 'impossible' with Google Glass warn campaigners
Google Glass and other augmented reality gadgets risk creating a world in which privacy is impossible, warn campaigners.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21937145>

**************************
GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY
**************************
UK "snoopers charter" pits privacy against security
At the height of an investigation into a group of Islamists plotting al Qaeda-inspired bomb attacks across Britain in 2004, British spies analysed more than 4,000 telephone contacts to build up a picture of what they were planning and with whom.
<http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/03/26/britain-security-ralph-idINDEE92P07M20130326>

ConsumerNZ raises concerns about Trans-Pacific Partnership
ConsumerNZ is publicly expressing reservations about the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement (TPPA), still in negotiation.
<http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/consumernz-raises-concerns-about-trans-pacific-partnership>

nz: Law Commission recommends single watchdog for old media, new media
The Law Commission has recommended to Parliament that there be a single regulatory authority covering broadcast, print, and online media.
<http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/law-commission-recommends-single-watchdog-old-media-new-media-ck-137735>

**********************
TELECOMMUNICATIONS
**********************
EU intent on delivering 30Mbps broadband to everyone by 2020
Under the European Union?s Digital Agenda for Europe, all member states are to offer a minimum level of 30Mbps broadband to everybody by 2020. (Some countries, like Denmark and Finland, are already nearly there.) But last month, over $9 billion designated to accelerate this broadband deployment was slashed from the EU budget as part of massive budget cuts. The cuts have raised doubt about whether the soon-to-be-28-member-nation group will make the 30Mbps goal. But Neelie Kroes, the EU?s Commissioner for the Digital Agenda, is still intent on getting to that ambitious target.
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/03/eu-intent-on-delivering-30mbps-broadband-to-everyone-by-2020/>

National regulators challenge EU's telecoms price proposal
The European Commission should not set specific fees for telecoms firms seeking access to traditional copper networks as it would mean consumers paying more in Poland, Austria and eight other EU countries, national regulators said on Tuesday.
<http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/26/uk-eu-telecoms-idUKBRE92P14X20130326>

Less digging = cheaper broadband. Commission proposes rules to cut broadband installation costs [news release]
The European Commission today proposed new rules to cut by 30% the cost of rolling out high-speed Internet. Civil engineering, such as the digging up of roads to lay down fibre, accounts for up to 80% of the cost of deploying high-speed networks. Today's proposal may save companies ?40 to 60 billion.
<http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-281_en.htm>

---------
David Goldstein

email: david at goldsteinreport.com
web:  http://davidgoldstein.tel/
         http://goldsteinreport.com/
phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery