[DNS] Catch-up time for .au

From: Jon Lawrence <jon>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 14:46:47 +1100
>Where were you Jon?

I was employed by the .au registry for the last Names Panel so was not in a position to stand or make my (long-standing) views on this topic known. Before that, I was in the UK.

I completely agree that it is time for a calm, rational debate on this issue. Terms like 'madness' are clearly not helpful.

I realise change is hard for some people, but having lived in England for many years, I can assure readers that the English are reflexively and seriously change-resistant. Yet, they're doing this.

There are many different approaches to handling grandfathering of existing 3rd level names. I'm not sure I like the .uk approach.

It should be emphasised that this is about increasing choice.

For thosr worried about 'consumer confusion', I have two points:
1. 25 years ago, most people had never heard of domain names
2. there are about to be hundreds of new gTLDs released into the market.

Jon