[DNS] auDA Domain News - 15 August

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:28:58 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Next steps towards the IANA transition by Paul Wilson

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2014/08/18/next-steps-towards-the-iana-transition/> http://blog.apnic.net/2014/08/18/next-steps-towards-the-iana-transition/>

What?s more important than accountability? by Milton Mueller

< <http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/08/17/whats-more-important-than-accountability/> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/08/17/whats-more-important-than-accountability/>

Quelle Suprise! ICANN's Accountability Plan Gives ICANN Board Total Control by Robin Gross

< <http://ipjustice.org/wp/2014/08/21/quelle-suprise-icann?s-accountability-plan-gives-icann-board-total-control-icann-limits-accountability-improvement-measures-to-toothless-self-policing/> http://ipjustice.org/wp/2014/08/21/quelle-suprise-icann?s-accountability-plan-gives-icann-board-total-control-icann-limits-accountability-improvement-measures-to-toothless-self-policing/>

"Sickening" NomCom must be reformed, says ex-chair

< <http://news.dot-nxt.com/2012/10/12/sickening-nomcom-must-be-refor> http://news.dot-nxt.com/2012/10/12/sickening-nomcom-must-be-refor>

New gTLDs Break 2 Million Registrations, But 4 In 5 Parked

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/08/25/new-gtlds-break-2-million-registrations/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/08/25/new-gtlds-break-2-million-registrations/>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

Next steps towards the IANA transition by Paul Wilson

Time has flown since March, when the US Government announced its intention to transition key Internet domain name functions to the global multistakeholder community. The IANA Coordination Group (ICG) is working now on the process that, from 30 September 2015, will determine the new stewardship arrangements for IANA.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2014/08/18/next-steps-towards-the-iana-transition/> http://blog.apnic.net/2014/08/18/next-steps-towards-the-iana-transition/>

Between Coordination and Regulation: Conceptualizing Governance in Internet Governance by Jeanette Hofmann, Christian Katzenbach & Kirsten Gollatz

Abstract: This paper contributes to the recent move towards a more systematic reflection on the conceptual foundations of Internet governance. It is led by the question of how to define (Internet) governance in a way that is theoretically grounded as well as empirically instructive. For this aim, it mobilizes literature from the broader field of governance and regulation studies as well as sociological theory and applies these concepts to issues of Internet governance.

< <http://ssrn.com/abstract=2484463> http://ssrn.com/abstract=2484463>

Prepare for the Worst, But Hope for the Best by Byron Holland

A couple of weeks ago, I blogged about the importance of the timeline leading up to the September 2015 deadline for the IANA oversight transition proposal. In that post, I explored the nature of U.S. politics and how it can affect the transition if we, as a community, are not diligent in our efforts to meet that deadline. Since then, the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG) has held its first meeting and a conference call, resulting in some new information that necessitates an update to that post.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140821_prepare_for_the_worst_but_hope_for_the_best/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140821_prepare_for_the_worst_but_hope_for_the_best/>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

Public Comment Invited: Board Working Group Report on Nominating Committee (BWG-NomCom)

Purpose (Brief): The ICANN Board has directed that the report prepared by the Board Working Group on Nominating Committee (BWG-NomCom) relating to issues of size and composition be posted for public comment.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-08-21-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-08-21-en>

Have Questions About the ICANN Accountability Process?

On 14 August ICANN posted the Enhancing ICANN Accountability and Governance: Process and Next Steps. Since posting, we've received some questions that are compiled here together with items perhaps useful to be addressed for the community.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-08-22-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-08-22-en>

Reminder: Next Meeting of ICG to follow IGF in Istanbul

The next face-to-face meeting of the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG) will take place on 6 September 2014 following the Ninth Annual IGF Meeting in Istanbul, Turkey.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-08-21-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-08-21-en>

What?s more important than accountability? by Milton Mueller

ICANN is now running two processes dealing with the accountability of its global Internet governance regime: 1) the IANA transition and 2) The ?enhancing ICANN accountability and Governance process.?

< <http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/08/17/whats-more-important-than-accountability/> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/08/17/whats-more-important-than-accountability/>

Olivier Cr?pin-Leblond Stepping Down As ALAC Chair

Olivier Cr?pin-Leblond announced earlier today that he would step down as ALAC Chair. He has been Chair of ALAC since 2010. He also nominated Alan Greenberg to take his place.

< <http://www.internetnews.me/2014/08/20/olivier-crepin-leblond-stepping-alac-chair/> http://www.internetnews.me/2014/08/20/olivier-crepin-leblond-stepping-alac-chair/>

Quelle Suprise! ICANN's Accountability Plan Gives ICANN Board Total Control by Robin Gross

After a long await, ICANN's senior management finally released its plan for "Enhancing Accountability" at the private California corporation that makes global Internet domain name policy. Unfortunately, the accountability deficit crisis created by ICANN's longstanding policy of purely "self-policing" with no meaningful external accountability mechanisms will not be solved by this weak plan for more self-policing.

< <http://ipjustice.org/wp/2014/08/21/quelle-suprise-icann?s-accountability-plan-gives-icann-board-total-control-icann-limits-accountability-improvement-measures-to-toothless-self-policing/> http://ipjustice.org/wp/2014/08/21/quelle-suprise-icann?s-accountability-plan-gives-icann-board-total-control-icann-limits-accountability-improvement-measures-to-toothless-self-policing/>

"Sickening" NomCom must be reformed, says ex-chair

The ex-chair of ICANN's Nominating Committee has called for an "open and frank" discussion to reform what he says is a fatally flawed, even corrupt, process that selects half of the organization's Board members.

< <http://news.dot-nxt.com/2012/10/12/sickening-nomcom-must-be-refor> http://news.dot-nxt.com/2012/10/12/sickening-nomcom-must-be-refor>

Warning Signs: ICANN Headed in the Fundamentally Wrong Direction by Paul Rosenzweig

A recent bylaw proposal from ICANN?which controls the Internet?s naming function and is currently being transitioned from control by the U.S. government to private control?is fundamentally misconceived and threatens to compromise ICANN?s independence.

< <http://dailysignal.com/2014/08/21/warning-signs-icann-headed-fundamentally-wrong-direction/> http://dailysignal.com/2014/08/21/warning-signs-icann-headed-fundamentally-wrong-direction/>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

Nominet to begin emailing .uk rights holders

>From 15 September, Nominet will begin emailing registrants with rights to a short .uk domain under the .uk 5-year reservation mechanism. This step is part of a wider programme of communication and outreach committed to as part of the launch of .uk, and reflects our commitment to inform our existing registrants of the additional rights now connected to their domain/s.

< <http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/nominet-begin-emailing-uk-rights-holders> http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/nominet-begin-emailing-uk-rights-holders>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

New gTLDs Break 2 Million Registrations, But 4 In 5 Parked

Registrations of new gTLDs domains broke the two million mark over the weekend across the 367 gTLDs that have been delegated, 195 of which having entered General Availability. As of Sunday there were over 2,031,000 registrations according nTLDstats.com.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22791> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22791>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/08/25/new-gtlds-break-2-million-registrations/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/08/25/new-gtlds-break-2-million-registrations/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/new-gtlds-break-2-million-registrations.html> http://www.domainnews.com/new-gtlds-break-2-million-registrations.html>

New gTLD Domain Name Registrations Break 2 Million But There Are Lots Of Caveats & Asterisks

According to nTLDstats.com the number of new gTLD registration broke through the 2 million mark today and sits at 2,011,549. However there are plenty of caveats and asterisks to go around.

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2014/08/24/new-gtld-domain-name-registrations-break-2-million-but-there-are-lots-of-caveats-asterisks/> http://www.thedomains.com/2014/08/24/new-gtld-domain-name-registrations-break-2-million-but-there-are-lots-of-caveats-asterisks/>

DotHIV Launching With A Social Purpose, To Raise Funds For AIDS-Related Projects

The launch of dozens of new gTLDs has seen a range of business plans and aims. And one that is quite unique is dotHIV, which has the launch of its General Availability on Tuesday 26 August at 14:00 UTC. Every .hiv domain name registered and every .hiv website visited will see a part of the registration fee going towards raising awareness and funds for projects around the world working to prevent the transmission of HIV and end AIDS.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22785> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=22785>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/08/22/dothiv-launching/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/08/22/dothiv-launching/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/dothiv-launching.html> http://www.domainnews.com/dothiv-launching.html>

New TLDs: is it an awareness, acceptance or demand issue?

Are domain registrants not aware of new TLD options or do they just not accept them? Or is there just low demand for each .com alternative?

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/08/22/new-tlds-is-it-an-awareness-acceptance-or-demand-issue/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/08/22/new-tlds-is-it-an-awareness-acceptance-or-demand-issue/>

Biggest dot-brand? .realtor to give away half a million domains

Up to 500,000 card-carrying members of North American real estate associations will be given a free one-year .realtor domains, according to the registry.

< <http://domainincite.com/17205-biggest-dot-brand-realtor-to-give-away-half-a-million-domains> http://domainincite.com/17205-biggest-dot-brand-realtor-to-give-away-half-a-million-domains>

With New Vanity Domains Your Website Could End In ".beer," ".cooking," and More

When we visit a website, we're used to entering ?.com,? ?.org? or ?.net.? But what about ?.horse? or ?.beer?? Soon, it may not be so weird to visit websites like napa.wine or local.cafe, as ICANN rolls out its latest reserves of available domains, many of which include food- and drink-specific titles.

< <http://www.laweekly.com/squidink/2014/08/21/with-new-vanity-domains-your-website-could-end-in-beer-cooking-and-more> http://www.laweekly.com/squidink/2014/08/21/with-new-vanity-domains-your-website-could-end-in-beer-cooking-and-more>

This Weeks New gTLD 1st Day Totals: .Bio 2,679; .Haus 1,261; .Tax 1,135; .Cash 1,026; .Investments 876; .Fund 772

The zone files for the new gTLD that launched on Wednesday updated later than usual this week but here are the 1st day totals for the new gTLD's that launched this week.

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2014/08/22/this-weeks-new-gtld-1st-day-totals-haus-1261-tax-1135-cash-1026-investments-876-fund-772/> http://www.thedomains.com/2014/08/22/this-weeks-new-gtld-1st-day-totals-haus-1261-tax-1135-cash-1026-investments-876-fund-772/>

.Quebec internet domain names soon up for sale

First there was .com, then there was .ca. Now, people and companies looking to add a local flavour to their web address can use .quebec.

< <http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-internet-domain-names-soon-up-for-sale-1.2742850> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-internet-domain-names-soon-up-for-sale-1.2742850>

.cymru domain name will strengthen our online identity, says Portmeirion MD

As part of the launch of the new .cymru and .wales domain names, this month we?re announcing a whole host of organisations, public bodies and businesses that will be making the switch as members of our Founders Programme.

< <http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/cymru-domain-name-strengthen-online-7642653> http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/cymru-domain-name-strengthen-online-7642653>

.Cash and .Fund each get fewer than 1,000 registrations

Five TLDs launched yesterday. Unfortunately, ICANN?s centralized zone file system only has updated zone files for two of them.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/08/21/cash-and-fund-each-get-fewer-than-1000-registrations/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/08/21/cash-and-fund-each-get-fewer-than-1000-registrations/>

Straat-backed bidder beats Donuts and Afilias to .health

DotHealth has won the four-way contention set for the controversial new gTLD .health.

< <http://domainincite.com/17207-straat-backed-bidder-beats-donuts-and-afilias-to-health> http://domainincite.com/17207-straat-backed-bidder-beats-donuts-and-afilias-to-health>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

se: Why you need to implement DNSSEC

The internet?s address system that converts user-friendly domain names (for example, riksdagen.se) and the more complex IP addresses (for riksdagen.se ? 193.11.1.138) is known as the domain name system (DNS) and has been in use for 30 years. The system is ingenious in its simplicity and has a stable structure. The basic idea is a distributed database provided via a network of thousands of name servers with each name server being responsible for sending internet users in the right direction so that they reach their intended destination.

< <https://www.iis.se/english/blog/why-you-need-to-implement-dnssec/> https://www.iis.se/english/blog/why-you-need-to-implement-dnssec/>

There is no such thing as a free domain

Since quite a long time now SWITCH actively cleans up drive-by sites. Attackers using the ever same tricks, analysing has become quite a routine, if not to say a bore. However recently, we stumbled over a new pattern. Many of the reported domains looked like

< <http://securityblog.switch.ch/2014/08/07/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-free-domain/> http://securityblog.switch.ch/2014/08/07/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-free-domain/>

Germany unveils draft cyber security law to protect ?critical infrastructure?

Draft legislation that would pave the way for the introduction of tough new cyber security measures to protect ?critical infrastructure? in Germany has been unveiled by the country?s federal interior ministry.

< <http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2014/august/germany-unveils-draft-cyber-security-law-to-protect-critical-infrastructure/> http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2014/august/germany-unveils-draft-cyber-security-law-to-protect-critical-infrastructure/>

eco Rejects IT Security Law as Unilateral National Action

?eco endorses in principle the plans of the German Minister for the Interior to develop Germany into a leading location for IT Security. This can bring Germany a locational and competitive advantage in the European and international market for innovative security solutions and applications.

< <http://international.eco.de/2014/news/eco-rejects-it-security-law-as-unilateral-national-action.html> http://international.eco.de/2014/news/eco-rejects-it-security-law-as-unilateral-national-action.html>

More Than 1,000 Businesses in U.S. Affected by Same Cyberattack That Hit Target

More than 1,000 American businesses have been affected by the cyberattack that hit the in-store cash register systems at Target, Supervalu and most recently UPS Stores.

< <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/22/secret-service-warns-1000-businesses-on-hack-that-affected-target/> http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/22/secret-service-warns-1000-businesses-on-hack-that-affected-target/>

What is it like for a small business when your website gets hacked?

60% of British small businesses experienced a cyber security breach in 2013, and the after-effects can linger

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/22/small-business-website-hacked-cyber-security> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/22/small-business-website-hacked-cyber-security>

Where cybersecurity and the boardroom intersect

Cyber security is a significant risk that can have a material impact. Boards should proactively ask questions of management, champion education and awareness programs company-wide, and treat risk as a priority. As Cyber security issues increase and become more visible, boards may decide to take an active role in understanding the risks associated with those issues.

< <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=11313820> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=11313820>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

BBC and FACT's daleks exterminate Doctor Who fansite, steal domain

One of the operators of Doctor Who Media -- one of the oldest, most respected Doctor Who fansites -- had reps from the Federation Against Copyright Theft (who produce the awful "You Wouldn't Steal a Car" ads) and the BBC thunder at his door and tell him he'd be served with a warrant if he didn't shut down the site immediately and transfer his domain to FACT.

< <http://boingboing.net/2014/08/23/bbc-and-facts-daleks-extermi.html> http://boingboing.net/2014/08/23/bbc-and-facts-daleks-extermi.html>

**********************

- IPv4/IPv6

**********************

IANA Returned Address Space Spurs IPv4 Demand by George Kuo

When APNIC received a /11 block of IPv4 addresses from IANA?s Recovered Pool in May, we were curious to see what impact this would have on delegations ? and we thought the community might be too, so here?s what we?ve seen so far. APNIC made 1,060 delegations in June and July, which is more than triple the normal demand.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2014/08/20/iana-returned-address-space-spurs-ipv4-demand/> http://blog.apnic.net/2014/08/20/iana-returned-address-space-spurs-ipv4-demand/>

IPv6 at IEPG by George Michaelson

Jen Linkova and Fernando Gont at IEPG presented a brief summary of IPv6 Extension Headers (EH). The bottom line take away is that if you add even one EH to an IPv6 packet, 10% of them get lost in the Internet because of filters and lack of router capabilities to use extension headers. If you add two or more, the packetloss rises to as high as 80%.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2014/08/21/ipv6-at-iepg/> http://blog.apnic.net/2014/08/21/ipv6-at-iepg/>

How to Translate a Gov't IPv6 Mandate Into an Action Plan: Guidance for National IPv6 Task Forces by Mukom Akong Tamon

Last year, I gave a short talk at the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO) Forum in (Abuja, Nigeria) on this topic and I thought I'd offer more details here. Let's say an African government has realised that IPv4 address exhaustion imposes limits its country's ICT development. Initial investigations indicate that deploying IPv6 is the only sustainable solution. Governments are however not very skilled in the bottom-up approach that is popular in the Internet world.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140821_how_to_translate_a_govt_ipv6_mandate_into_an_action_plan/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140821_how_to_translate_a_govt_ipv6_mandate_into_an_action_plan/>

**********************

- MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

Google?s HTTPS Ranking Signal Change ? What Does It Mean for You?

Google will now use HTTPS as a ranking signal, but what does this mean for digital marketers and do you need to make any changes to your site to adapt to this change?

< <http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2361084/google-s-https-ranking-signal-change-what-does-it-mean-for-you> http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2361084/google-s-https-ranking-signal-change-what-does-it-mean-for-you>

India's first ever International Domain Conference to be held in Hyderabad

Happening Hyderabad to have another feather in its cap. The first ever Internaitonal Domain Conference to be held in Hyderabad. 16 Vertical Experts, including Mike Mann ? Possibly the World?s No. 1 domain investor , Owner of Phone.com , SEO.com from USA And Karen J Bernstein ? a leading IP Attorney , based in Manhattan to address virtually the 200 plus participants.

< <http://indiaeducationdiary.in/Shownews.asp?newsid=30882> http://indiaeducationdiary.in/Shownews.asp?newsid=30882>

Domain name search is much improved (at some registrars)

I?ve written a couple times about the state of registrar search as registrars grapple with an onslaught of new TLDs, most recently at the end of February.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/08/21/domain-name-search/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/08/21/domain-name-search/>

Too Close for Comfort?: Rival Promoters Go Head to Head in Hyderabad, India With TWO Domain Conferences Scheduled Just Two Weeks Apart

Back in June I told you about an exciting development in India when the organizers of DomainX announced they would hold the country's first major conference devoted solely to domain names. That event, staged by the Domain Name Owners Association of India (DNOAI), will be held on Sunday, September 7 at the Marriott Hotel & Convention Centre in Hyderabad.

< <http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140822.htm> http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140822.htm>

Phone registry company Neustar weighs sale - sources

Neustar Inc, a company which helps North American telecommunication carriers route calls and text messages, is considering a potential sale amid interest from private equity firms, according to people familiar with the matter.

< <http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/22/uk-neustar-sale-exclusive-idUKKBN0GM1R520140822> http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/22/uk-neustar-sale-exclusive-idUKKBN0GM1R520140822>

RIR Accountability Measures Compiled

APNIC?s EC Chair, Maemura Akinori, wrote to the APNIC community in July about the review of accountability measures underway and one of the initiatives he mentioned was a comparison report between the five RIRs.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2014/08/22/rir-accountability-measures-compiled/> http://blog.apnic.net/2014/08/22/rir-accountability-measures-compiled/>

**********************

- WEBHOSTING

**********************

How to Keep Your Data Secure Even If You Don?t Trust Your Web Host

Whether a hosting provider goes out of business unexpectedly or a customer loses trust in their provider, mobility and multi-vendor redundancy are just two factors that could help them prepare for the worst case scenario and keep their data safe.

< <http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/keep-data-secure-even-dont-trust-web-host> http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/keep-data-secure-even-dont-trust-web-host>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

DomainNameSales Had a Banner 2nd Quarter that Included Two 7-Figure Sales and Seven in 6 Figures

DomainNameSales.com had a blowout 2nd quarter that included one sale over $2 million and another above $1 million. Unfortunately, Vive President of Sales Jeff Gabriel couldn't tell me what those names were due to non disclosure agreements, but he was able to share seven other sales that broke the six-figure barrier (Gabriel said DNS had more than $5 million in sales that were subject to NDAs).

< <http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140821.htm> http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140821.htm>

**********************

NEW TECHNOLOGIES

**********************

Your child?s phone and tablet could be harming their eyes, expert warns

Children who use smart phones and tablets are at risk of potential irreversible eye damage because of blue light emissions from digital devices, according to a leading Sydney optometrist.

< <http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/arts/your-childs-phone-and-tablet-could-be-harming-their-eyes-expert-warns/story-fniv7r7y-1227035442822> http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/arts/your-childs-phone-and-tablet-could-be-harming-their-eyes-expert-warns/story-fniv7r7y-1227035442822>

*********************************

CHILD PROTECTION & ONLINE SAFETY

*********************************

au: Cyber safety should be a mandatory subject in schools, child health expert says

A prominent child health expert has called for the subject of cyber safety to be mandatory in schools.

< <http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-23/cyber-safety-should-be-mandatory-subject-in-school-expert-says/5691216> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-23/cyber-safety-should-be-mandatory-subject-in-school-expert-says/5691216>

au: Parents need schooling on dangers of social media

If you thought the birds and the bees is awkward territory for parent and child, spare a thought for mums and dads today who have to broach such things as ?sexting? with their teen.

< <http://www.afr.com/p/parents_need_schooling_on_dangers_jLDGGmuUB4utd4a7ChePyJ> http://www.afr.com/p/parents_need_schooling_on_dangers_jLDGGmuUB4utd4a7ChePyJ>

**********************

PRIVACY & SURVEILLANCE

**********************

The Cookies You Can't Crumble

If you?ve used the Internet for longer than the iPhone has been around, you?re probably familiar with cookies, those little packets of personal data that help load websites you frequent and tell the websites? owners who you are and what you?re up to?information coveted by advertisers. Since Netscape programmer Lou Montulli invented the cookie 20 years ago, it?s become a cornerstone of the online display and search advertising business, valued at $35 billion a year in the U.S. Montulli says he designed the cookie to make the Web more efficient and calls its use as a tracking device an ?unintended consequence.?

< <http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-08-21/facebook-google-go-beyond-cookies-to-reap-data-for-advertisers> http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-08-21/facebook-google-go-beyond-cookies-to-reap-data-for-advertisers>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

4 Ways to Keep Your Email Marketing Alive

Although many have said email is dying, there are just as many who insist it's here to stay. Here are four ways you can keep your email marketing campaigns fresh and effective.

< <http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2361307/4-ways-to-keep-your-email-marketing-alive> http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2361307/4-ways-to-keep-your-email-marketing-alive>

Dos and Don?ts of Email Remarketing

By using existing metrics and subscriber behavior to remarket to your consumers, your email marketing campaigns can become much stronger and more effective. Here are some best practices for email remarketing.

< <http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2361309/dos-and-don-ts-of-email-remarketing> http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2361309/dos-and-don-ts-of-email-remarketing>

Viral Marketing: eco Association?s List of Do?s and Don?ts

Dr. Torsten Schwarz, Leader of the eco Competence Group Online Marketing, warns marketing departments against too much euphoria: ?There is no universal recipe for success for perfect viral marketing?

< <http://international.eco.de/2014/press-releases/viral-marketing-eco-associations-list-of-dos-and-donts.html> http://international.eco.de/2014/press-releases/viral-marketing-eco-associations-list-of-dos-and-donts.html>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:    <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/ /  <http://davidgoldstein.tel/> http://davidgoldstein.tel/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport> https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery