[DNS] auDA Domain News - 27 October

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 03:38:14 -0000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

New gTLD Auction Proceeds

< <http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-24oct14-en> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-24oct14-en>

ICANN Issues Statement Saying Considering Postponing Marrakech Meeting

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/27/icann-statement-postponing-marrakech/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/27/icann-statement-postponing-marrakech/>

au: Response to Lifehacker - How Can I Sell My Domains?

< <http://www.ausregistry.com.au/news/response-to-lifehacker-how-can-i-sell-my-domains> http://www.ausregistry.com.au/news/response-to-lifehacker-how-can-i-sell-my-domains>

Why .com had a good quarter (and .net didn?t )

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/24/why-com-had-a-good-quarter/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/24/why-com-had-a-good-quarter/>

PIPCU Gets Funding To 2017 To Continue Fight Against IP Fraud, And Suspend Related Domains

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/24/pipcu-funding-to-2017/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/24/pipcu-funding-to-2017/>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

Editorial: Just what does this U.N. agency want to do to the Internet?

The International Telecommunication Union, an arm of the United Nations that oversees global communications networks, has alarmed tech advocates by debating whether to extend its authority to the Internet. Although it's chilling to think of the U.N. asserting jurisdiction over an area that has been open, innovative and largely unregulated, the chances of a hostile takeover of the Internet are slim. The ITU can, however, use its long-standing role in telecommunications standards to help extend access to the Net to the millions of people around the world who cannot log on today.

< <http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-itu-internet-governance-20141024-story.html> http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-itu-internet-governance-20141024-story.html>

Cauldron part 2: Is the names IANA compatible with the others? by Milton Mueller

The previous blog post described the progress of the IANA transition in the IETF-led protocols space and the lack of progress in the numbers space. Feeling the pressure, the Numbers Resource Organization has since announced a more developed process for the numbers space.

< <http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/10/19/cauldron-part-2-is-the-names-iana-compatible-with-the-others/> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/10/19/cauldron-part-2-is-the-names-iana-compatible-with-the-others/>

The Internet Today and Tomorrow

A daylong event to discuss how Internet Governance shapes the way the Internet works and how we use it.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-10-23-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-10-23-en>

Results of IANA Stewardship Transition Survey Now Available

>From 13 - 20 October, ARIN conducted an open community survey on the IANA Stewardship Transition. The summary report is now available at:

< <https://www.arin.net/announcements/2014/20141024_iana.html> https://www.arin.net/announcements/2014/20141024_iana.html>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

Statement on ICANN 52 Meeting in Marrakech, Morocco

Following Morocco's recent request to postpone the Africa Cup of Nations football tournament because of possible African travel restrictions, ICANN is in active and ongoing discussions with our ICANN 52 Marrakech hosts.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-10-26-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-10-26-en>

New gTLD Auction Proceeds

Auctions are the mechanism of last resort to resolve string contention within the New gTLD Program. ICANN expects that most string contention will be resolved through other means before reaching an Auction conducted by ICANN's authorized Auction service provider, Power Auctions LLC.

< <http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/auctions/proceeds> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/auctions/proceeds>

< <http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-24oct14-en> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-24oct14-en>

ICANN CEO Congratulates Newly Elected ITU Secretary-General Houlin Zhao

Fadi Chehad?, The President and Chief Executive Officer of ICANN has extended his congratulations and best wishes to the newly elected Secretary-General of the ITU.

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2014-10-23-en> https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2014-10-23-en>

Christine Willett, Vice President, GDD Operation| ICANN, to Jason Schaeffer

New gTLD application for .MUSIC

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/willett-to-schaeffer-2014-10-22-en> https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/willett-to-schaeffer-2014-10-22-en>

Christine Willett, Vice President, GDD Operation| ICANN, to Julien Dedier

New gTLD application for .RADIO

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/willett-to-dedier-2014-10-22-en> https://www.icann.org/resources/correspondence/willett-to-dedier-2014-10-22-en>

ICANN Issues Statement Saying Considering Postponing Marrakech Meeting

Following a report in the Moroccan Le360, ICANN have issued a statement regarding speculation their 52nd public meeting scheduled to be held in Marrakech, ICANN has issued a statement to say they are currently discussing options with the hosts.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=23044> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=23044>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/27/icann-statement-postponing-marrakech/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/27/icann-statement-postponing-marrakech/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/icann-statement-postponing-marrakech.html> http://www.domainnews.com/icann-statement-postponing-marrakech.html>

Because of Ebola ICANN Postpones Its Meeting in Marrakech

ICANN has decided to postpone its 52 meeting initially scheduled to take place in Marrakech. The event, which was set to gather about 3,000 people from all over the world, was due to be held in Morocco?s main tourist destination on February 8-12.

< <http://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2014/10/142462/because-of-ebola-icann-postpones-its-meeting-in-marrakech/> http://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2014/10/142462/because-of-ebola-icann-postpones-its-meeting-in-marrakech/>

ICANN Meeting In Morocco In Doubt

ICANN has decided to postpone or cancel its upcoming meeting in Marrakech, Morocco, that was scheduled to take place from 8-12 February due to concerns of the Ebola virus according to a Moroccan media report.

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/26/icann-morocco-in-doubt/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/26/icann-morocco-in-doubt/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/icann-morocco-doubt.html> http://www.domainnews.com/icann-morocco-doubt.html>

The future health of the internet comes down to ONE simple question... Can ICANN be forced to agree to oversight of its decisions?

When was the last time you gave any thought to how the internet actually works? Despite the extraordinary and never-ending growth in people and devices that connect to the internet every second of every day, we have never seen the equivalent of Twitter?s Fail Whale. The internet, as a whole, just doesn?t go down.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/23/icann-accountability-internet-health/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/23/icann-accountability-internet-health/>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

au: Response to Lifehacker - How Can I Sell My Domains?

Australian technology journalist Chris Jager published an article in Lifehacker this week criticising domain names and claiming that premium domain name sales are becoming ?increasingly rare?. George Pongas, General Manager of Naming Services at AusRegistry, responded to Chris? comments to clarify some inaccurate statements in his article.

< <http://www.ausregistry.com.au/news/response-to-lifehacker-how-can-i-sell-my-domains> http://www.ausregistry.com.au/news/response-to-lifehacker-how-can-i-sell-my-domains>

Why .com had a good quarter (and .net didn?t )

Verisign handled 8.7 million new registrations in .com and .net in the third quarter this year, the most ever in a third quarter.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/24/why-com-had-a-good-quarter/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/24/why-com-had-a-good-quarter/>

Verisign Third Quarter Results Show Steady Growth In .COM/.NET

Verisign reported its financial results for the third quarter of 2014 that showed reported revenue of $255 million, up 4.7 percent from the same period in 2013, but cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $1.5 billion, a decrease of $249 million as compared with year-end 2013.

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/24/verisign-third-quarter-steady-growth/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/24/verisign-third-quarter-steady-growth/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/verisign-third-quarter-steady-growth.html> http://www.domainnews.com/verisign-third-quarter-steady-growth.html>

.Com rebound: Verisign adds 1.15 million domain names to hit 130.0 million

Verisign just reported third quarter earnings, and it appears to have been a pretty good quarter in terms of .com and .net registrations compared to the previous quarter.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/23/com-rebound/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/23/com-rebound/>

Bad news for IDN.com investors

Owners of IDN.com domain names that are patiently waiting for .com transliterations are going to have to keep waiting.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/23/bad-news-for-idn-com-investors/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/23/bad-news-for-idn-com-investors/>

DENIC implements secure and confidential e-mail communication based on DANE and DNSSEC

The .DE registry and managing organization, DENIC, is among the early adopters who have implemented the technology labelled DANE with the objective to secure e-mail communication. Having been developed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) as an open standard, DANE is a powerful tool to encrypt data traffic between mail servers and to verify the identity of the involved servers, in a reliable manner.

< <http://www.denic.de/en/denic-in-dialogue/press-releases/press/3947.html> http://www.denic.de/en/denic-in-dialogue/press-releases/press/3947.html>

nl: Have you found a weak spot in our security? Let us know!

We work every day to help build a secure digital community. And security has to begin at home: we take the protection of our technical infrastructure very seriously.

< <https://www.sidn.nl/en/news/news/article/have-you-found-a-weak-spot-in-our-security-let-us-know/> https://www.sidn.nl/en/news/news/article/have-you-found-a-weak-spot-in-our-security-let-us-know/>

rs: Invitation to Tender for development of The Software Systems for Internet Domain Name Registration

Serbian National Internet Domain Registry (RNIDS) Foundation hereby invites all interested suppliers to send their offer for the procurement of The Software Systems for Internet Domain Name Registration.

< <http://rnids.rs/en/what-s-new/invitation-to-tender-for-development-of-the-software-systems-for-internet-domain-name-registration/id/4700> http://rnids.rs/en/what-s-new/invitation-to-tender-for-development-of-the-software-systems-for-internet-domain-name-registration/id/4700>

uk: Greater security for online services rolled out today

Following a successful pilot, two-factor authentication access is now available for registrars via Nominet?s online services.

< <http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/greater-security-online-services-rolled-out-today> http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/greater-security-online-services-rolled-out-today>

ICA Counsel Appointed to Inaugural .US Stakeholder Council

ICA Counsel Philip Corwin has been appointed to the first Stakeholder Council ever established for .US, the ccTLD of the United States.

< <http://www.internetcommerce.org/ica-counsel-appointed-to-inaugural-us-stakeholder-council/> http://www.internetcommerce.org/ica-counsel-appointed-to-inaugural-us-stakeholder-council/>

Verisign Reports Third Quarter 2014 Results

VeriSign, Inc. reported financial results for the third quarter of 2014. ... Business Highlights: Verisign Registry Services added 1.15 million net new names during the third quarter, ending with 130.0 million active domain names in the zone for .com and .net, which represents a 3.3 percent increase over the zone at the end of the third quarter in 2013.

< <http://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/internet-technology-news/verisign-press-releases/articles/index.xhtml?artLink=aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLm13bmV3c3Jvb20uY29tL2FydGljbGUvcnNzP2lkPTE4ODkxOTk%3D> http://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/internet-technology-news/verisign-press-releases/articles/index.xhtml?artLink=aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLm13bmV3c3Jvb20uY29tL2FydGljbGUvcnNzP2lkPTE4ODkxOTk%3D>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

ICANN To Allow Two-Character Domains In New gTLDs

It was resisted by the Governmental Advisory Committee and some security experts, but following a request from a Registry Operators group, ICANN will now develop procedures to allow the registration of two-character domains in new gTLDs.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=23039> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=23039>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/23/icann-two-character-domains-new-gtlds/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/23/icann-two-character-domains-new-gtlds/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/icann-two-character-domains-new-gtlds.html> http://www.domainnews.com/icann-two-character-domains-new-gtlds.html>

Would you blow $5.6m to own a dot-word? Meet a bloke who did just that

A further $13m was spent yesterday on auctions for the ownership rights to three new soul-sapping dot-word domains: .spot, .salon and .realty.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/24/13m_more_splurged_on_new_internet_extensions/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/24/13m_more_splurged_on_new_internet_extensions/>

How you can (and can?t) justify recent TLD auction prices

In this post, DOT TBA founder Christa Taylor considers the payback period for new TLDs based on recent auction prices and current registration volumes.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/23/top-level-domain-auctions/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/23/top-level-domain-auctions/>

Analyst ups forecast for new TLDs, $900MM bookings by 2016

B. Riley analyst Sameet Sinha has increased his forecast for new TLD name registrations after attending last week?s ICANN conference in Los Angeles.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/24/analyst-ups-forecast-for-new-tlds/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/24/analyst-ups-forecast-for-new-tlds/>

New TLDs: generic TLDs impacted

The October 2014 edition of the Afnic Industry Report on Domain Names focuses on the impact of the hundreds of new TLDs on "traditional" players.

< <http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/8415/show/new-top-level-domains-generic-tlds-impacted.html> http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/8415/show/new-top-level-domains-generic-tlds-impacted.html>

Search Engine Marketing: .Com Vs. New gTLDs

Since the beginning of the Internet, we?ve been mainly using three main TLDs for our websites: .COM, .NET, and .ORG. We typically are used to seeing and using the top three TLDs, and those websites currently make up a majority of what we see in the search engine results pages, such as in Google?s search results. Since January 2014, however, there are literally hundreds of new gTLDs becoming available, and many are already available for registration.

< <http://www.netnames.com/blog/2014/10/search-engine-marketing-com-vs-new-gtlds/> http://www.netnames.com/blog/2014/10/search-engine-marketing-com-vs-new-gtlds/>

Rush for ?luxury? domain names continues

Luxury may no longer be a dirty word. The rush for domain names that end in the word ?luxury? shows no signs of slowing, according to Monica Kirchner, CEO and co-founder of a new tech company that is helping brands create platforms to define themselves in the luxury category.

< <http://nypost.com/2014/10/26/rush-for-luxury-domain-names-continues/> http://nypost.com/2014/10/26/rush-for-luxury-domain-names-continues/>

What?s the ROI on a $20m TLD auction? by Ryan Baker

ICANN have taken a solid stance in regards to contention sets, with those yet to be resolved soon to be forced into auctions of last resort in the coming months. As expected, this has increased the velocity of private settlements between applicants, either via deals or private auctions.

< <http://www.ariservices.com/blog/whats-the-roi-on-a-20m-tld-auction/> http://www.ariservices.com/blog/whats-the-roi-on-a-20m-tld-auction/>

Yesterday?s 5 new TLD launches total about 2,500 registrations

Five new TLDs launched yesterday, and they combined for a total registration base of just 2,500 after the end of the ?zone day?. This includes sunrise and landrush, plus the initial hours of general availability.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/23/5-tld-launches-total-2500-registrations/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/23/5-tld-launches-total-2500-registrations/>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

ch: A look at a phishing website

Yesterday we came across a phishing website under .ch where we were able to download the phishing kit. A phishing kit is an archive file which contains all the relevant files for hosting a phishing website. In this case, the archive contained some static HTML, JS and image files for hosting the phishing form, but also a PHP file for sending the data to the perpetrator, and ? most interestingly ?an .htaccess file. The .htaccess file is a configuration file used by some popular web servers, which allows the user of a website to override a subset of the server?s global configuration for the directory that the file is located in and all its sub-directories.

< <http://securityblog.switch.ch/2014/10/23/a-look-at-a-phishing-website/> http://securityblog.switch.ch/2014/10/23/a-look-at-a-phishing-website/>

ECDSA and DNSSEC by Geoff Huston

Yes, that?s a cryptic topic, even for an article that addresses matters of the use of cryptographic algorithms, so congratulations for getting even this far!

< <http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2014-10/ecdsa.html> http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2014-10/ecdsa.html>

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2014/10/23/ecdsa-and-dnssec/> http://blog.apnic.net/2014/10/23/ecdsa-and-dnssec/>

Abandoned subdomains pose security risk for businesses [IDG]

Many companies set up subdomains for use with external services, but then forget to disable them when they stop using those services, creating a loophole for attackers to exploit.

< <http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/558095/abandoned-subdomains-pose-security-risk-businesses/> http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/558095/abandoned-subdomains-pose-security-risk-businesses/>

DNSSEC Adoption - The Current Functionality Gap (Part 2) by James Galvin

Registrars have the opportunity to fundamentally change the landscape of the Internet's security infrastructure by working to close the DNSSEC functionality gap. Virtually everything every Internet user does on the Internet depends on the DNS. DNSSEC is not just about protecting the DNS, it is about building a secure infrastructure foundation upon which new and innovative services and applications can be built to benefit us all. Registrars are the linchpins to advancing the deployment of DNSSEC.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141023_dnssec_adoption_the_current_functionality_gap_part_2/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141023_dnssec_adoption_the_current_functionality_gap_part_2/>

uk: Computer users who damage national security could face jail

Government plans that mean computer users deemed to have damaged national security, human welfare, the economy or the environment will face a life sentence have been criticised by experts who warn that the new law could be used to target legitimate whistleblowers.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/oct/23/computer-users-damage-national-security-face-jail> http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/oct/23/computer-users-damage-national-security-face-jail>

eco on New EU Commission: Oettinger Must Push Forward European Framework Conditions for Information Security

eco ? Association of the German Internet Industry e. V. welcomes the new EU Commission, elected today by the European Parliament. ?The new Commission is well equipped, with Andrus Ansip as Vice President for the digital single market, and G?nther Oettinger as Commissioner for the Digital Economy and Society,? said Oliver S?me, Director of Policy and Law at eco.

< <http://international.eco.de/2014/news/eco-on-new-eu-commission-oettinger-must-push-forward-european-framework-conditions-for-information-security.html> http://international.eco.de/2014/news/eco-on-new-eu-commission-oettinger-must-push-forward-european-framework-conditions-for-information-security.html>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

PIPCU Gets Funding To 2017 To Continue Fight Against IP Fraud, And Suspend Related Domains

The City of London's Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) has been given funding to ensure its existence to at least 2017, and will undoubtedly see it continue to be a thorn in the side of those who peddle counterfeit goods online.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=23040> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=23040>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/24/pipcu-funding-to-2017/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/24/pipcu-funding-to-2017/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/pipcu-funding-to-2017.html> http://www.domainnews.com/pipcu-funding-to-2017.html>

City of London piracy police to be given more money

More money is to be given to the City of London Police's Intellectual Property Crime Unit (Pipcu). ... Pipcu says it has suspended 2,359 internet domain names and seized more than ?1.29m worth of suspected fake goods since September 2013.

< <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29740293> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29740293>

PIPCU funding confirmed until 2017 - Commander Head ?This is fantastic news for the City of London Police?

The fight against intellectual property crime was today given a major boost when the Government announced they would continue to fund the Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) for another two years until 2017.

< <https://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advice-and-support/fraud-and-economic-crime/pipcu/pipcu-news/Pages/pipcu-funding-confirmed-until-2017.aspx> https://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advice-and-support/fraud-and-economic-crime/pipcu/pipcu-news/Pages/pipcu-funding-confirmed-until-2017.aspx>

Anti-Piracy Police PIPCU Secure Govt. Funding Until 2017

The City of London Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit has received substantial new funding which secures its future until at least 2017. The ?3 million cash boost, announced this morning by Minister for Intellectual Property Baroness Neville-Rolfe, will come from public funds. It's being billed as good news for the economy and bad news for pirates.

< <http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-police-pipcu-secure-govt-funding-until-2017-141023/> http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-police-pipcu-secure-govt-funding-until-2017-141023/>

Hungry? This Case Is A Buffet of UDRP Issues!

Most UDRP cases turn on one major issue ? maybe the domain was registered before the complainant acquired trademark rights or the website for the domain is an example of fair-use, such as a fan page. Perhaps the domain just isn?t confusingly similar to the complainant?s brand.

< <http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/10/19/hungry-this-case-is-a-buffet-of-udrp-issues/> http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/10/19/hungry-this-case-is-a-buffet-of-udrp-issues/>

Protecting Your Good Name - Trademarking, and the quiet revolution in domain names

Imagine being told you can no longer use the name your business has been trading under for years. Someone else has protected the rights, and you have no recourse. Trademarking is a topic which many businesses ? especially small and medium-sized companies ? tend to ignore until it?s too late.

< <http://international.eco.de/2014/news/protecting-your-good-name.html> http://international.eco.de/2014/news/protecting-your-good-name.html>

Cybersquatter vows to continue WWE fight after domain dispute

A dispute over the rights to the domain name wwe.org has intensified after a cybersquatter revealed his intent to register more domains with the ?WWE? trademark.

< <http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/cybersquatter-vows-to-continue-wwe-fight-after-domain-dispute-4148> http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/cybersquatter-vows-to-continue-wwe-fight-after-domain-dispute-4148>

U.S. Government Shuts Down Music Sharing Sites

The Department of Justice (DOJ) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) appear to be continuing with Operation in Our Sites. In recent days two large music sharing sites, RockDizFile.com and RockDizMusic.com, were taken offline. Their domain names are now pointing to a prominent seizure banner.

< <http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-government-shuts-down-music-sharing-sites-141022/> http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-government-shuts-down-music-sharing-sites-141022/>

Lawsuit filed to recover stolen three letter domain names

Acme Billing Company filed a federal lawsuit in U.S. District Court this week to recover 14 stolen domain names, including 9 three letter domain names.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/23/lawsuit-filed-to-recover-stolen-three-letter-domain-names/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/23/lawsuit-filed-to-recover-stolen-three-letter-domain-names/>

**********************

- IPv4/IPv6

**********************

New from Verisign Labs: Measuring IPv6 Adoption

IPv4 is the common thread that has held the Internet together since its very early years, and, thus, it is both the most important and most widely deployed networking protocol in existence. As the world rapidly runs out of available IPv4 address space, there has been a major movement to transition the Internet to the IPv6 protocol with its vastly larger address space.

< <http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/new_from_verisign_labs_measuring2> http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/new_from_verisign_labs_measuring2>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

Ebola.com Domain Name Sold for Over $200k

A week ago, many mainstream news articles were quite critical of Blue String Ventures and its owners for trying to sell the Ebola.com domain name.

< <http://www.domaininvesting.com/ebola-com-domain-name-sold-200k/> http://www.domaininvesting.com/ebola-com-domain-name-sold-200k/>

Ebola.com domain name sold for $200K

The co-owner of Blue String Ventures, a Las Vegas-based company tells Yahoo Finance that it has sold the domain name Ebola.com for $200,000 to a marijuana company called Weed Growth Fund.

< <https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebola-com-domain-name-sold-for--200k-212628387.html> https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebola-com-domain-name-sold-for--200k-212628387.html>

Emall.ca and GoDaddy Team Up to Launch New Premium .CA Sales Platform at DomainExchange.ca

Emall.ca Inc. (who owns what many consider to be the best portfolio of premier .CA Canadian ccTLD domains) has teamed up with GoDaddy.com to launch a new website dedicated to selling high-quality .CA domain names at DomainExchange.ca.

< <http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20141024.htm> http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20141024.htm>

**********************

INTERNET USE

**********************

Tim Berners-Lee: hateful people on the web are 'staggering'

Tim Berners-Lee has expressed sadness that the web has mirrored the dark side of humanity, as well as enabling its ?wonderful side? to flourish.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/24/tim-berners-lee-hateful-people-on-the-web-are-staggering> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/24/tim-berners-lee-hateful-people-on-the-web-are-staggering>

**********************

SOCIAL MEDIA

**********************

How Facebook Is Changing the Way Its Users Consume Journalism

Many of the people who read this article will do so because Greg Marra, 26, a Facebook engineer, calculated that it was the kind of thing they might enjoy.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/business/media/how-facebook-is-changing-the-way-its-users-consume-journalism.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/business/media/how-facebook-is-changing-the-way-its-users-consume-journalism.html>

The Queen sends her first tweet

The Queen made her first foray into the world of social media on Friday when she sent out her inaugural message on Twitter.

< <http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/24/uk-life-queen-tweet-idUKKCN0ID15P20141024> http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/24/uk-life-queen-tweet-idUKKCN0ID15P20141024>

**********************

ONLINE TV, MUSIC & PIRACY

**********************

au: iiNet vows to fight threatened legal action over customers' illegal downloads

Australian internet users who download films illegally from torrent websites could face claims of thousands of dollars if a Hollywood film company gets its way in the Federal Court.

< <http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-23/legal-bid-to-force-isps-to-reveal-details/5837322> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-23/legal-bid-to-force-isps-to-reveal-details/5837322>

Australian ISP stands up to filmmakers hunting pirates

The producer of Oscar-winning film, Dallas Buyers Club, has taken its hunt for pirates of the film to Australia, after filing a barrage of antipiracy lawsuits in the US. But at least one Australian Internet service provider is pushing back out of concern that the movie producer aims to intimidate its customers into paying excessive damages.

< <http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/558078/australian-isp-stands-up-filmmakers-hunting-pirates/> http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/558078/australian-isp-stands-up-filmmakers-hunting-pirates/>

**************************

GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY

**************************

Trans-pacific trade deal firming [AAP]

A trade agreement that will cover 40 per cent of global trade is one step closer following three days of meetings in Sydney.

< <https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/25358063/trans-pacific-trade-deal-firming/> https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/25358063/trans-pacific-trade-deal-firming/>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:    <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/ /  <http://davidgoldstein.tel/> http://davidgoldstein.tel/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport> https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery