[DNS] auDA domain news - 4 June

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 14:46:21 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

UN Review Of WSIS Intensifies; Questions About ICANN Board Role In IANA
Handover

<
<http://www.ip-watch.org/2015/06/02/un-review-of-wsis-intensifies-questions-
about-icann-board-role-in-iana-handover/>
http://www.ip-watch.org/2015/06/02/un-review-of-wsis-intensifies-questions-a
bout-icann-board-role-in-iana-handover/>

Oi ICANN, you want the keys to the internet throne room? Open up to Freedom
of Info law

<
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/02/new_internet_freedom_act_puts_weigh
t_behind_internet_community/>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/02/new_internet_freedom_act_puts_weight
_behind_internet_community/>

U.S. plan to cede Internet domain control on track: ICANN head

<
<http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/06/03/usa-internet-icann-idINKBN0OJ05U20
150603>
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/06/03/usa-internet-icann-idINKBN0OJ05U201
50603>

The President?s ICANN Internet Problem

<
<http://aclj.org/united-nations/dangerous-transfer-the-presidents-icann-inte
rnet-problem>
http://aclj.org/united-nations/dangerous-transfer-the-presidents-icann-inter
net-problem>

IPv4 Internet address exhaustion moves a step closer by Paul Wilson

< <http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2015/06/04/4248637.htm>
http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2015/06/04/4248637.htm>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

UN Review Of WSIS Intensifies; Questions About ICANN Board Role In IANA
Handover

This year?s United Nations review of implementation of the 2005 World Summit
on the Information Society (WSIS) is picking up pace. Meanwhile, intensive
efforts continue to meet a September target for the handover from the United
States of key underlying functions of the internet.

<
<http://www.ip-watch.org/2015/06/02/un-review-of-wsis-intensifies-questions-
about-icann-board-role-in-iana-handover/>
http://www.ip-watch.org/2015/06/02/un-review-of-wsis-intensifies-questions-a
bout-icann-board-role-in-iana-handover/>

Oi ICANN, you want the keys to the internet throne room? Open up to Freedom
of Info law

A revised version of the Defending Internet Freedom Act has been introduced
to US Congress ? and its contents are surprising.

<
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/02/new_internet_freedom_act_puts_weigh
t_behind_internet_community/>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/02/new_internet_freedom_act_puts_weight
_behind_internet_community/>

U.S. plan to cede Internet domain control on track: ICANN head

A controversial Obama administration plan to cede oversight of the
non-profit that manages the Internet's infrastructure is on track to gain
government approval by next year's presidential elections, the
organization's chief said in an interview.

<
<http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/06/03/usa-internet-icann-idINKBN0OJ05U20
150603>
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/06/03/usa-internet-icann-idINKBN0OJ05U201
50603>

<
<http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/06/02/us-usa-internet-icann-idUKM1KBN0OI
2IJ20150602>
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/06/02/us-usa-internet-icann-idUKM1KBN0OI2
IJ20150602>

African Business Leaders to Discuss Future of Internet Governance

African business leaders including thirty Chief Executive Officers from
Nigeria will gather in Abuja next week for the 2015 Chief Executive
Officer's round table organized by the Africa ICT Alliance, (AfICTA) with
the theme "Mobilizing African Business Leaders for the future of the
Internet"

<
<http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/aficta-2015-african-business-leaders-to-
discuss-future-of-internet-governance/>
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/aficta-2015-african-business-leaders-to-d
iscuss-future-of-internet-governance/>

< <http://allafrica.com/stories/201506020868.html>
http://allafrica.com/stories/201506020868.html>

As White House Abandons Internet, Bipartisan Consensus to Intervene Develops

The Obama administration has been hard at work trying to sever the last link
giving the U.S. a backstop role in protecting global access to the World
Wide Web. Without U.S. oversight, nations with poor citizen freedom records
like Russia, China, and Iran could be more able to game ICANN?s byzantine
Internet governance processes. Fortunately, Congress is now asking the
difficult questions that the Administration has been ignoring, what
safeguards are needed and how can we trust ICANN to resist rogue capture?

<
<http://humanevents.com/2015/06/02/as-white-house-abandons-internet-bipartis
an-consensus-to-intervene-develops/>
http://humanevents.com/2015/06/02/as-white-house-abandons-internet-bipartisa
n-consensus-to-intervene-develops/>

The ?Internet of Things? will have to earn our trust by Gordon Smith, deputy
chair of the Global Commission on Internet Governance and a distinguished
fellow at the Centre for International Governance Innovation.

My new electric toothbrush has Bluetooth. No, it is not designed to change
the colour of my teeth. Instead it transmits data about how long I have
brushed, then it gives me from one to five stars and, normally, a smiley
face. ... Despite this, Internet governance is still not a mainstream
subject of debate. Yet the future of Internet governance is truly of vital
importance. We need better Internet security resilience and stability. As we
move into the Internet of Things, we users need to be confident that our
Internet-enabled helpers are not working against us.

<
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-internet-of-things-wi
ll-have-to-earn-our-trust/article24781831/>
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-internet-of-things-wil
l-have-to-earn-our-trust/article24781831/>

Is the U.S. government abandoning oversight of core Internet functions?
What?s really going to change?

The U.S. is planning to transition critical Internet technical functions to
the global Internet community. This will impact every Internet user, and you
have the power to shape the outcome

<
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/2927607/internet/is-the-us-government-aban
doning-oversight-of-core-internet-functions-whats-really-going-to-change.htm
l>
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2927607/internet/is-the-us-government-aband
oning-oversight-of-core-internet-functions-whats-really-going-to-change.html

Is the Defending Internet Freedom Act pro-crime?

The Defending Internet Freedom Act of 2015, introduced to the US Congress
last month, contains a provision that could be interpreted as pro-pron,
pro-piracy or even just pro-crime.

<
<http://domainincite.com/18644-is-the-defending-internet-freedom-act-pro-cri
me>
http://domainincite.com/18644-is-the-defending-internet-freedom-act-pro-crim
e>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

WHOIS Accuracy Reporting System Update

In advance of the ICANN 53 meeting in Buenos Aires, I thought it might be
helpful to provide an update about one project, the WHOIS Accuracy Reporting
System (ARS), which will also be the subject of a session at the ICANN 53
meeting.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/whois-accuracyreporting-system-update>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/whois-accuracyreporting-system-update>

Draft Report: Review of the Generic Names Supporting Organization

Purpose (Brief): The purpose of this Public Comment posting is to request
community feedback on the Draft Report issued by Westlake Governance Limited
(Westlake) on the Review of the Generic Names Supporting Organization
(GNSO).

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-06-01-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-06-01-en>

WEBINAR: Briefing on Final CWG-Stewardship Proposal

Following Public Comment periods in December 2014 and April/May 2015, the
Cross Community Working Group to Develop an IANA Stewardship Transition
Proposal for Naming Related Functions (CWG-Stewardship) has finalized its
proposal and delivered it to SO/AC chartering organizations for approval.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-06-03-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-06-03-en>

ICANN Announces New Members Of The Public Interest Commitment Dispute
Resolution Procedure (PICDRP) Standing Panel

ICANN has selected and entered into contracts with four new members of the
Public Interest Commitments Dispute Resolution Procedure (PICDRP) Standing
Panel.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-06-03-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-06-03-en>

NextGen at ICANN Applications Now Open For ICANN 54 Meeting in Dublin

ICANN is proud to announce that the NextGen at ICANN initiative will be
happening at the ICANN 54 meeting in Dublin, Ireland.

<
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/nextgen-icann-applications-now-open-for-ica
nn-54-meeting-in-dublin>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/nextgen-icann-applications-now-open-for-ican
n-54-meeting-in-dublin>

Letter from Jamie Baxter, dotgay LLC, to ICANN

New gTLD application for .GAY

<
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/baxter-to-icann-29may1
5-en.pdf>
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/baxter-to-icann-29may15
-en.pdf>

Letter from The Honorable Edith Ramirez, Chairwoman | Federal Trade
Commission, to John O. Jeffrey

RE: .SUCKS TLD

<
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/ramirez-to-jeffrey-27m
ay15-en.pdf>
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/ramirez-to-jeffrey-27ma
y15-en.pdf>

Letter from Geoff Taylor, Chief Executive | British Recorded Music Industry
& BRIT Awards, to Steve Crocker and Fadi Chehad?

New gTLD application for .MUSIC

<
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/taylor-to-crocker-cheh
ade-27may15-en.pdf>
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/taylor-to-crocker-cheha
de-27may15-en.pdf>

Letter from Savio D'souza, Secretary General | The Indian Music Industry, to
Steve Crocker et al.

New gTLD application for .MUSIC

<
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/dsouza-to-crocker-et-a
l-25may15-en.pdf>
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/dsouza-to-crocker-et-al
-25may15-en.pdf>

Letter from Jonathan Robinson, Chair | GNSO Council, to SO & AC Chairs and
Steve Crocker

Cross-Community Working Group (CCWG) - The Use of New gTLD Auction Proceeds

<
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/robinson-to-soac-chair
s-crocker-02jun15-en.pdf>
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/robinson-to-soac-chairs
-crocker-02jun15-en.pdf>

ICANN?s new gTLD survey gives new gTLD awareness numbers

ICANN has released the results of a huge survey focusing on awareness and
trust in gTLDs new and old.

<
<http://domainincite.com/18631-icanns-new-gtld-survey-gives-nonsense-numbers

http://domainincite.com/18631-icanns-new-gtld-survey-gives-nonsense-numbers>

Research reveals that around two-thirds of internet users are unaware of
cybersquatting

Research published by ICANN has pointed to a growing awareness of new gTLDs,
although such strings lag significantly behind legacy TLDs in terms of
familiarity. Arguably more of a surprise is the finding that just over one
in three internet users are aware of cybersquatting.

<
<http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=b6addfaf-aab2-4057-9
4e4-108a662b1cf2>
http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=b6addfaf-aab2-4057-94
e4-108a662b1cf2>

The President?s ICANN Internet Problem

Imagine this dramatic scenario: the White House pushes for the United States
to abandon its historic role as protector of the Internet, transferring the
last vestige of that authority over to a private organization populated by
international tech gurus. But the gurus also hold seven smartcards that
could either restart the internal security framework of the entire Internet
in the event of a catastrophe; or else they could disable it. America holds
its breath to see how they will rule the most important communications
platform in the history of the planet.

<
<http://aclj.org/united-nations/dangerous-transfer-the-presidents-icann-inte
rnet-problem>
http://aclj.org/united-nations/dangerous-transfer-the-presidents-icann-inter
net-problem>

ICANN survey: .Com still king, but new TLDs have a chance (especially
outside U.S.)

ICANN has released results of the first phase of a multi-year consumer study
on the domain name landscape.

<
<http://domainnamewire.com/2015/06/01/icann-survey-com-still-king-but-new-tl
ds-have-a-chance-especially-outside-u-s/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/06/01/icann-survey-com-still-king-but-new-tld
s-have-a-chance-especially-outside-u-s/>

Fred Krueger: ?Why I Hate ICANN?

Fred Krueger announced he was leaving Minds + Machines two weeks ago, and
then announced he sold over 10% of his shares a few days later, wrote a an
interesting post on Facebook today which is well worth a read so I'm
reprinting it here.

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2015/06/03/fred-krueger-why-i-hate-icann/>
http://www.thedomains.com/2015/06/03/fred-krueger-why-i-hate-icann/>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

CIRA makes its pitch to operate .Toronto, .Montreal, and .Calgary

To date, Canadians best know the Canadian Internet Registration Authority
(CIRA) as the operator of the dot-ca domain. But now the non-profit
organization is hoping to operate many other TLDs on behalf of Canadian
municipalities ? perhaps domains like .Toronto, .Montreal, and .Vancouver.

<
<http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/cira-makes-its-pitch-to-operate-toronto-montr
eal-and-calgary/56029>
http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/cira-makes-its-pitch-to-operate-toronto-montre
al-and-calgary/56029>

What's Going on in China's Domain Name Industry? by James Seng

Recently, there has been a lot of noise about China tightening control of
the new TLDs and how it could severely damper domain name registrations in
China and one should make preparation for the worst. Initially, I tried to
stay out of this as I know all the players behind this. But given that at
least 3 people have emailed me asking what's going on, I decided to clear
the air here.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150601_whats_going_on_in_china_domain_name_
industry/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150601_whats_going_on_in_china_domain_name_i
ndustry/>

Internet .porn and .adult domains open to buyers Thursday

Anyone can buy a .porn or .adult domain name starting Thursday after an
initial phase allowing some trademark holders to snap up those URLs first.

<
<http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/internet-porn-and-adult-domains-open-to-b
uyers-thursday-1.3093289>
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/internet-porn-and-adult-domains-open-to-bu
yers-thursday-1.3093289>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

CSC?s New gTLD Utilization Report ? May 2015

Our New gTLD Utilization Report for May reveals that there have now been
over 1,300 registrations under .brand (and closed) TLDs. This is an increase
of over 60% since our March report, suggesting .brand activity is starting
to pick up. In our latest report, we take a look at some interesting
examples, including the five .brand/closed domains that already have an
Alexa Web Ranking.

<
<http://www.digitalbrandinsider.com/cscs-new-gtld-utilization-report-may-201
5/>
http://www.digitalbrandinsider.com/cscs-new-gtld-utilization-report-may-2015
/>

FTC to ICANN: We Told You .SUCKS Was a Bad Idea

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has responded to a letter from ICANN
requesting the regulatory body examine the legality of the rollout of the
.SUCKS new gTLD. The response was written by FTC Chairwoman Edith Ramirez,
and instead of ruling if any laws or regulations had been broken, it offers
several recommendations for ICANN to ensure better protection of
intellectual property owners? rights.

<
<http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/ftc-to-icann-we-told-you-sucks-was-
a-bad-idea>
http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/ftc-to-icann-we-told-you-sucks-was-a
-bad-idea>

One year in: .XYZ and new TLDs

The .xyz domain name hit its one year anniversary today with about 950,000
domain names. That?s just 50,000 names shy of .xyz CEO Daniel Negari?s first
year goal for the domain name, an estimate many snickered at when he made
it.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/06/02/one-year-xyz-domain-names/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/06/02/one-year-xyz-domain-names/>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

Registry Lock - or EPP With Two Factor Authentication by Patrik Wallstr?m

For the last couple of years, the most common attack vector against the DNS
system is the attack against the registrar. Either the attack is on the
software itself using weaknesses in the code that could inject DNS changes
into the TLD registry, or social engineering the registrar support systems
and the attacker receives credentials that in turn allows the attacker to
perform malicious changes in DNS. DNSSEC is the common security mechanism
that protects the DNS protocol, but by using the registrar attack, any
changes will result in a proper working DNS delegation.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150603_registry_lock_or_epp_with_two_factor
_authentication/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150603_registry_lock_or_epp_with_two_factor_
authentication/>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Clips4Sale Picks Up Lips4Sale in Cybersquatting Case

An arbitrator on Monday ordered the domain name Lips4Sale.com transferred to
the company that owns Clips4Sale.com, which alleged the domain is
confusingly similar to its own, was registered in bad faith and that its
operator has no rights to it.

< <http://newswire.xbiz.com/view.php?id=195228>
http://newswire.xbiz.com/view.php?id=195228>

uk: Derby Arena web domain name win for council

A businessman has been ordered to hand over the rights to a Derby Arena
internet domain name to a council.

< <http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-32992190>
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-32992190>

**********************

- IPv4/IPv6

**********************

IPv4 Internet address exhaustion moves a step closer by Paul Wilson

A significant Internet milestone will be reached in the next few weeks when
ARIN, the Regional Internet Registry for the USA, Canada and several
Caribbean Islands, exhausts its supply of available IPv4 addresses.

< <http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2015/06/04/4248637.htm>
http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2015/06/04/4248637.htm>

**********************

- MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

John Berryhill on domain name law and cybersquatting ? DNW Podcast #35

What happens when a company thinks you?re cybersquatting on one of its
trademarks? Domain name attorney John Berryhill has helped people defend
many such accusations. On this episode he explains what a company has to
prove in the UDRP.

<
<http://domainnamewire.com/2015/06/01/john-berryhill-on-domain-name-law-and-
cybersquatting-dnw-podcast-35/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/06/01/john-berryhill-on-domain-name-law-and-c
ybersquatting-dnw-podcast-35/>

How one company is making domain names 'sexy' by Uniregistry

Earlier this year, Rangers.com sold for a whopping $375,000. And in the
domain name industry, that?s just the tip of the iceberg.

<
<http://www.businessinsider.com/sc/uniregistry-domain-name-industry-2015-6>
http://www.businessinsider.com/sc/uniregistry-domain-name-industry-2015-6>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

VIP Programs Court Domainers

Last week, domain name registrar DirectNic unveiled its new VIP program, and
domainers could be forgiven for having flashbacks to last decade at
registrar Fabulous.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/06/01/vip-programs-court-domainers/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/06/01/vip-programs-court-domainers/>

**********************

ONLINE CRIME & LEGAL

**********************

au: More than 500 cybercrimes under investigation in SA; some victims lose
more than $100,000

More than 500 cybercrime offences are being investigated by South Australian
Police following the launch of a national reporting network six months ago.

<
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-04/more-than-500-cybercrimes-investigate
d-in-south-australia/6520398>
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-04/more-than-500-cybercrimes-investigated
-in-south-australia/6520398>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport>
https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time
you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery