[DNS] auDA domain news - 28 September

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 13:22:56 +1000

Don?t forget to register for the Australian Internet Governance Forum on 6 and 7 October in Melbourne.

Topics up for discussion include security in .au, .au dispute resolution, auDA Foundation, the internet and reshaping of culture, metadata retention, gender and the internet and internet and indigenous communities.

Registration and more information is available from:

http://www.igf.org.au/

ICANN Accountability Enhancements Key in Moving IANA Transition Forward

< <https://cdt.org/blog/icann-accountability-enhancements-key-in-moving-iana-transition-forward/> https://cdt.org/blog/icann-accountability-enhancements-key-in-moving-iana-transition-forward/>

Get on with it! Uncle Sam's right-hand man schools ICANN powwow

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/26/commerce_secretary_pleads_with_icann_meeting/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/26/commerce_secretary_pleads_with_icann_meeting/>

ICANN Board mobilizes against accountability plan by Milton Mueller

< <http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/09/26/icann-board-mobilizes-against-accountability-plan/> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/09/26/icann-board-mobilizes-against-accountability-plan/>

Reflections on the IANA Stewardship Transition Process by Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information and NTIA Administrator Lawrence E. Strickling

< <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/reflections-iana-stewardship-transition-process> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/reflections-iana-stewardship-transition-process>

EFF Urges Federal Appeals Court to Protect Speech, Guard Against Censorship By Upholding Net Neutrality Order

< <https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-urges-federal-appeals-court-protect-speech-guard-against-censorship-upholding-net> https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-urges-federal-appeals-court-protect-speech-guard-against-censorship-upholding-net>

Transfer Policy Implementation Update

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-09-24-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-09-24-en>

ICANN Releases Phase One Registrant Survey on the Domain Name Landscape

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-09-25-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-09-25-en>

ICANN lists the ways the new gTLD program sucked

< <http://domainincite.com/19347-icann-lists-the-ways-the-new-gtld-program-sucked> http://domainincite.com/19347-icann-lists-the-ways-the-new-gtld-program-sucked>

Trademark protection patterns in the new gTLDs environment: an infographic

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=8191306c-f414-4292-bec2-919465216ba2> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=8191306c-f414-4292-bec2-919465216ba2>

ARIN IPv4 Free Pool Reaches Zero

< <https://www.arin.net/announcements/2015/20150924.html> https://www.arin.net/announcements/2015/20150924.html>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

ICANN Accountability Enhancements Key in Moving IANA Transition Forward

The results of the public consultation on the IANA transition proposal are in and the news is good. The majority of the 150 comments received by the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG) were supportive of the transition proposal as a whole.

< <https://cdt.org/blog/icann-accountability-enhancements-key-in-moving-iana-transition-forward/> https://cdt.org/blog/icann-accountability-enhancements-key-in-moving-iana-transition-forward/>

Is domain overlord ICANN the FIFA of the internet? We'll know this weekend

When comedian John Oliver dedicated the bulk of his weekly show a year ago to soccer organization FIFA (F?d?ration Internationale de Football Association), he noted that most Americans had never heard of the organization.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/24/icann_on_dangerous_path/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/24/icann_on_dangerous_path/>

Get on with it! Uncle Sam's right-hand man schools ICANN powwow

After a fruitless and frustrating day of discussion in Los Angeles, US Assistant Secretary for Commerce Larry Strickling had clearly had enough. "I've been trying to decide whether to come up and say anything or not, but the issue was forced by the fact that I'm leaving in 15 minutes," he said.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/26/commerce_secretary_pleads_with_icann_meeting/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/26/commerce_secretary_pleads_with_icann_meeting/>

Oi, ICANN! Get to the bottom of this bottom-up process, haul ass ? ex-Prez advisor

ICANN received a second kick to the buttocks on Saturday morning ? this time from erstwhile US presidential advisor Ira Magaziner. Just a day after Assistant Commerce Secretary Larry Strickling told a room of internet policy wonks that they needed to get a move on or risk undermining the process to shift US government control of the top level of the net over to the internet community, Magaziner upped the ante.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/26/former_clinton_advisor_warns_icann_to_move_it/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/26/former_clinton_advisor_warns_icann_to_move_it/>

ICANN chair plays chicken with internet control-halt-shift

The chair of domain name overseer ICANN has threatened to reject a key recommendation in the process to move control of the top level of internet from the US government to the non-profit organisation.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/27/icann_chair_plays_chicken_with_iana_transition/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/27/icann_chair_plays_chicken_with_iana_transition/>

ICANN Board mobilizes against accountability plan by Milton Mueller

It?s the end game in the ICANN accountability process. ICANN thinks it?s losing the game. It is desperately trying to derail the accountability reforms developed by an open, bottom up and very deliberate process with multiple public comment periods. It responds (to use a basketball metaphor) with a full court press. ICANN invites the Cross Community Working Group on Enhanced Accountability (CCWG) to its home court (in Los Angeles) where it can exert more control over the environment and the agenda. Just coincidentally (!) the CCWG meeting date is scheduled right after a board retreat, which means that most board members and key ICANN staff are in Los Angeles and can plot their strategies in advance. The board, staff, and former board members are mobilized to resist the reforms.

< <http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/09/26/icann-board-mobilizes-against-accountability-plan/> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/09/26/icann-board-mobilizes-against-accountability-plan/>

ICANN Accountability: Beware the Bridge Too Far by Byron Holland

Yesterday I had the privilege of delivering the keynote address at the inaugural Internet Society (Canada) Symposium. In my remarks, I took the opportunity to talk about my thoughts on the current status of the IANA stewardship transition and enhancing ICANN accountability processes. Fact is I'm getting increasingly concerned. As we head into what will be a critical meeting of the CCWG-Accountability in Los Angeles today, I fear that the Internet governance community is headed for a showdown, the consequences of which could prove detrimental.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150925_icann_accountability_beware_the_bridge_too_far/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150925_icann_accountability_beware_the_bridge_too_far/>

Reflections on the IANA Stewardship Transition Process by Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information and NTIA Administrator Lawrence E. Strickling

With the closing of the public comment period, we at NTIA continue to be impressed by the dedication and hard work of the many stakeholders involved in planning the transition of NTIA?s stewardship of the Internet?s domain name system. We are pleased to see so many stakeholders participate in the crafting of the plan to transition NTIA?s role related to the DNS technical functions, known as the IANA functions. Everyone that benefits from the Internet has a stake in the success of the multistakeholder model and a voice in this process.

< <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/reflections-iana-stewardship-transition-process> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/reflections-iana-stewardship-transition-process>

And here, near the shore of Santa Monica, we see ICANN in its natural habitat: Getting nothing done, agreeing on little

Every professional has job-specific nightmares. It could be a doctor delivering a baby from the Exorcist, or an engineer standing on a bridge that collapses.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/25/icann_accountability_meeting_torture/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/25/icann_accountability_meeting_torture/>

NTIA Directs Smoke Signals Toward LA by Philip S. Corwin

On September 25th-26th the Cross Community Working Group developing enhanced accountability measures to accompany the IANA functions transition, and replace the "backstop" role played by the U.S., will meet in Los Angeles to review the 90 comments filed on their second draft Proposal and consider responsive modifications... As NTIA will be the primary evaluator of whether the transition & accountability package that is eventually forwarded by ICANN meets the criteria it set when it announced the transition in March 2014, CCWG participants in LA will be carefully reading the tea leaves of this latest NTIA statement.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150924_ntia_directs_smoke_signals_toward_la/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150924_ntia_directs_smoke_signals_toward_la/>

EFF Urges Federal Appeals Court to Protect Speech, Guard Against Censorship By Upholding Net Neutrality Order

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is asking a federal appeals court to approve Federal Communications Commission (FCC) net neutrality rules that prevent Internet service providers from interfering with and censoring content on the Web.

< <https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-urges-federal-appeals-court-protect-speech-guard-against-censorship-upholding-net> https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-urges-federal-appeals-court-protect-speech-guard-against-censorship-upholding-net>

Network Engineers Weigh In to Support the Open Internet

Yesterday, EFF and the ACLU filed a friend-of-the-court brief (press release) defending the Federal Communications Commission?s net neutrality rules in the federal Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. Along with our legal arguments, we submitted a statement signed by dozens of engineers familiar with Internet infrastructure. Signers include current and former members of the IETF and ICANN's committees, professors, CTOs, network security engineers, Internet architects, systems administrators and network engineers, and even a founder of the company that registered the first ".com" domain.

< <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/09/network-engineers-weigh-support-open-internet> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/09/network-engineers-weigh-support-open-internet>

Not Obama?s to Give Away: Lawmakers told the administration it will need Congress?s OK to surrender Web control.

The flaw in President Obama?s plan to give up U.S. protection of the open Internet becomes clearer with each delay in carrying it out: The Internet isn?t broken, so why fix it? The good news is congressional leaders have found a way to block the plan in the Constitution, which makes clear that the Internet isn?t Mr. Obama?s to give away.

< <http://www.wsj.com/articles/not-obamas-to-give-away-1443386189> http://www.wsj.com/articles/not-obamas-to-give-away-1443386189>

To be or not to be? accountable? by Giovanni Seppia (EURid), Chair of CENTR's Board of Directors

According to internetlivestats.com there are over 3.2 billion internet users. How many community representatives have been involved so far in the IANA Stewardship transition and ICANN Accountability processes which should be as multistakeholder as possible? Less than 2000? It might be an overestimated figure.

< <https://centr.org/article/to-be-or-not-to-be-accountable> https://centr.org/article/to-be-or-not-to-be-accountable>

The ICANN Accountability End Game by Michael Roberts

It was predictable, and inevitable, I suppose, that the end game of a search for a more accountable ICANN would devolve to a lawyer's contest. When there is money on the table, and when global politics are invoked to one degree or another, it is the lawyers who are tasked to translate lofty goals into precise words on paper that will survive the inspection of judges and courts. And ambitious politicians as well.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150923_the_icann_accountability_end_game/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150923_the_icann_accountability_end_game/>

US gov: we can?t support ICANN accountability plan

The US National Telecommunications and Information Administration has waded into the ICANN accountability debate, possibly muddying the waters in the process.

< <http://domainincite.com/19342-us-gov-we-cant-support-icann-accountability-plan> http://domainincite.com/19342-us-gov-we-cant-support-icann-accountability-plan>

**********************

ICANN

**********************

Transfer Policy Implementation Update

ICANN announces the implementation of amendments to the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy, which is being renamed as the "Transfer Policy." In addition to rules related to inter-registrar transfers, the updated Transfer Policy now sets policy requirements for transfers between registrants. It will also impose new conditions for the expiration of the Form of Authorization used by registrars in inter-registrar transfers.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-09-24-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-09-24-en>

Thoughts Heading into Los Angeles by Steve Crocker

The CCWG-Accountability chairs recently observed in a blog post how critical it is that we all keep up our energy and momentum going into the next CCWG-Accountability face-to-face meeting in Los Angeles on 25 and 26 September.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/thoughts-heading-into-los-angeles> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/thoughts-heading-into-los-angeles>

ICANN Releases Phase One Registrant Survey on the Domain Name Landscape

The ICANN today published the findings of its first Global Registrant Survey, which was conducted on its behalf by Nielsen. The study demonstrates, among other things, that domain name registrants are more familiar with new gTLDs than general Internet users who have not registered a domain.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-09-25-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-09-25-en>

Final Report from the Expert Working Group on Internationalized Registration Data (WHOIS)

ICANN today published the Final Report from the Expert Working Group on Internationalized Registration Data (WHOIS) that was tasked with determining submission and display requirements for internationalized registration data (IRD) and producing a data model for the IRD that matches the requirements. This report represents a significant milestone towards ICANN's goal of internationalizing the WHOIS service with respect to data of global registrants.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2015-09-25-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2015-09-25-en>

ICANN 2015 Nominating Committee Announces Selections

The ICANN 2015 Nominating Committee (NomCom) is pleased to announce its selections for nine leadership positions within ICANN.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-09-25-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-09-25-en>

Request for Proposal: Study about the DNS Marketplace in Latin America and the Caribbean

ICANN is seeking a provider to conduct a study on the domain name industry in the Latin America and the Caribbean region. The goal of this study is to identify and define the strengths and weaknesses in the industry ecosystem within the region, and develop recommendations on how to advance the industry and bring it closer to the opportunities available.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-4-2015-09-25-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-4-2015-09-25-en>

Indonesia's CITRANET Contributes to More Responsive and Resilient Internet with L-Root Instance in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

The second L-Root instance in Indonesia has been successfully installed in Yogyakarta, increasing the DNS's overall fault tolerance and its resilience against certain types of cyber threats, such as Denial of Service attacks.

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2015-09-21-en> https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2015-09-21-en>

Asunci?n's National University and ICANN Work Together to Enhance Latin American Internet Infrastructure

The first L-Root instance in Paraguay has been successfully installed in Asunci?n, and will enhance the stability, security and resiliency of the Internet for users throughout Latin America.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-09-24-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-09-24-en>

ICANN lists the ways the new gTLD program sucked

ICANN has published an analysis of the many ways in which the first round of the new gTLD program wasted everyone?s time and money.

< <http://domainincite.com/19347-icann-lists-the-ways-the-new-gtld-program-sucked> http://domainincite.com/19347-icann-lists-the-ways-the-new-gtld-program-sucked>

**********************

ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

Deadline for receiving applications for registration under Armenian language domain .??? (eng. - .hay) is November 30

Internet Society, a non-governmental organization that represents major Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in Armenia and other Internet user groups, said today the deadline for receiving applications for registration under the Armenian language domain .??? (Eng. - .hay) is November 30.

< <http://telecom.arka.am/en/news/internet/deadline_for_receiving_applications_for_registration_under_armenian_language_domain_eng_hay_is_novem/> http://telecom.arka.am/en/news/internet/deadline_for_receiving_applications_for_registration_under_armenian_language_domain_eng_hay_is_novem/>

What is the effect of the new Dot London domain on search rankings?

Over the last couple of years thousands of nTLDs have been released into the mass marketplace. But are they worth the investment?

< <http://realbusiness.co.uk/article/31570-what-is-the-effect-of-the-new-dot-london-domain-on-search-rankings> http://realbusiness.co.uk/article/31570-what-is-the-effect-of-the-new-dot-london-domain-on-search-rankings>

nl: Latest edition of The.nlyst out now

SIDN has long been much more than the company behind .nl. Over the last few years, we have been working hard on the development of new activities. So that we are now also one of the companies behind .aw, .amsterdam and the on-line billing system Simplerinvoicing. In addition, through the SIDN Fund, we support numerous innovative projects that contribute to the internet's ongoing development.

< <https://www.sidn.nl/a/knowledge-and-development/latest-edition-of-thenlyst-out-now> https://www.sidn.nl/a/knowledge-and-development/latest-edition-of-thenlyst-out-now>

LusNIC ? Portuguese language ccTLD's association formally constituted

The LusNIC - Portuguese language ccTLD's association was formally constituted, in e-Show Portugal, integrating for now Brazil, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Portugal and Sao Tome and Principe. Angola has also formally expressed interest in joining the Association.

< <https://www.dns.pt/en/news/lusnic-portuguese-language-cctld-s-association-formally-constituted/> https://www.dns.pt/en/news/lusnic-portuguese-language-cctld-s-association-formally-constituted/>

Vietnam can become regional internet center under right conditions

If the Vietnam National Internet Exchange (VNIX) is reformed and developed in accordance with the successful model of the Amsterdam Internet Exchange, Vietnam could become an internet center in the region, according to Nguyen Dinh Nam, director of VP9, the founder of VP9 TV project.

< <http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/science-it/142082/vietnam-can-become-regional-internet-center-under-right-conditions.html> http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/science-it/142082/vietnam-can-become-regional-internet-center-under-right-conditions.html>

**********************

NEW TLDS

**********************

Trademark protection patterns in the new gTLDs environment: an infographic

The ongoing gTLD rollout has had a significant impact on online trademark protection strategies, with trademark counsel grappling with new rights protection mechanisms and the question of how to stretch budgets to ensure that brand integrity is maintained.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=8191306c-f414-4292-bec2-919465216ba2> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=8191306c-f414-4292-bec2-919465216ba2>

CPAS LOSING NUMBERS GAME FOR INTERNET REAL ESTATE

Now that there are a plethora of new top-level Internet domains -- including .attorney, .dentist, .plumbing, etc. ? associated with particular professions or other specific things, certain communities are supposed to have a leg up in winning the rights to manage related domains. But it hasn?t been that simple.

< <http://www.bna.com/cpas-losing-numbers-b57982058678/> http://www.bna.com/cpas-losing-numbers-b57982058678/>

Maintaining Control of Your Brand Among 1,200 New gTLDs

The authors of every successful business strategy know that a company must protect its trade marks and its brand from the outset.

< <http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/blog-maintaining-control-of-your-brand-44156/> http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/blog-maintaining-control-of-your-brand-44156/>

Minds + Machines Opens .Miami to ?The Magic City?

There was great excitement this week as DNA member Minds + Machines unveiled its new .Miami domain extension to ?The Magic City?. As only the third city in the United States to open its own domain extension and as an international city in a class by itself, Miami holds great potential for savvy consumers and businesses to find the right domains. The DNA caught up with Toby Hall, Head of Marketing, Minds + Machines to get his input.

< <http://www.thedna.org/minds-machines-opens-miami-to-the-magic-city/> http://www.thedna.org/minds-machines-opens-miami-to-the-magic-city/>

**********************

DNS SECURITY

**********************

Faster DDoS Mitigation with Increased Customer Control ? Introducing Verisign OpenHybrid? Customer Activated Mitigation

In the recently published Forrester WAVE: DDoS Service Providers, Q3 2015 report (in which Verisign was identified as a leader), Forrester notes the importance of a hybrid approach to DDoS protection. Specifically, the report highlights the pros and cons of on-premise and cloud-based DDoS protection solutions, and advocates for a hybrid solution that incorporates elements of both; specifically the speed to mitigation of on-premise with the scrubbing capacity of cloud-based.

< <http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/faster_ddos_mitigation_with_increased> http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/faster_ddos_mitigation_with_increased>

Obama and Xi Jinping of China Agree to Steps on Cybertheft

President Obama and President Xi Jinping of China took their first concrete steps on Friday toward reining in the rising threat of cyberattacks between the world?s two largest economies, pledging that their governments would refrain from computer-enabled theft of intellectual property for commercial gain even as Mr. Obama suggested that he might still impose sanctions if rampant Chinese hacking persisted.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/world/asia/xi-jinping-white-house.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/world/asia/xi-jinping-white-house.html>

China Promises to Work With U.S. to Prevent Cybercrime

In a speech to American business leaders Tuesday night, China?s president, Xi Jinping, pledged to work with the United States to prevent cybercrime. Mr. Xi?s long-anticipated visit comes over increased tensions over what White House officials say has been a concerted effort by China to attack the computer networks of businesses and government agencies.

< <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/09/24/daily-report-china-promises-to-work-with-u-s-to-prevent-cybercrime/> http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/09/24/daily-report-china-promises-to-work-with-u-s-to-prevent-cybercrime/>

U.S., China vow not to engage in economic cyberespionage

President Obama and Chinese leader Xi Jinping pledged Friday that neither of their governments would conduct or condone economic espionage in cyberspace in a deal that sought to address a major source of friction in the bilateral relationship.

< <https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/us-china-vow-not-to-engage-in-economic-cyberespionage/2015/09/25/90e74b6a-63b9-11e5-8e9e-dce8a2a2a679_story.html> https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/us-china-vow-not-to-engage-in-economic-cyberespionage/2015/09/25/90e74b6a-63b9-11e5-8e9e-dce8a2a2a679_story.html>

Obama announces 'understanding' with China's Xi on cyber theft but remains wary

President Barack Obama announced on Friday that he had reached a "common understanding" with Chinese President Xi Jinping on curbing economic cyber espionage, but threatened to impose U.S. sanctions on Chinese hackers who persist with cyber crimes.

< <http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/09/26/usa-china-idINKCN0RP23Y20150926> http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/09/26/usa-china-idINKCN0RP23Y20150926>

< <http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/09/26/us-usa-china-idUKKCN0RO2HQ20150926> http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/09/26/us-usa-china-idUKKCN0RO2HQ20150926>

Limiting Security Breaches May Be Impossible Task for U.S. and China

When the United States and the Soviet Union made their first tentative steps toward limiting nuclear arms more than 50 years ago, distrust was sky high but they could, at least, count each other?s missiles and bombers and warheads.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/world/asia/limiting-security-breaches-may-be-impossible-task-for-us-and-china.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/world/asia/limiting-security-breaches-may-be-impossible-task-for-us-and-china.html>

**********************

DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Ashley Madison ?forum? registered in bad faith

A website intended to act as a forum for those affected by the data leak surrounding pro-affair website Ashley Madison has been transferred to the site?s owners Avid Life Media (ALM) after it was deemed to be registered in bad faith.

< <http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/ashley-madison-forum-registered-in-bad-faith-4499> http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/ashley-madison-forum-registered-in-bad-faith-4499>

Donald Trump targets ?bad faith? website

US presidential hopeful Donald Trump has asked for a website called stoptrump.us to be taken down on the grounds that it infringes his trademarks.

< <http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/donald-trump-targets-bad-faith-website-4497> http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/donald-trump-targets-bad-faith-website-4497>

**********************

IPv4/IPv6

**********************

ARIN IPv4 Free Pool Reaches Zero

On 24 September 2015, ARIN issued the final IPv4 addresses in its free pool. ARIN will continue to process and approve requests for IPv4 address blocks. Those approved requests may be fulfilled via the Wait List for Unmet IPv4 Requests, or through the IPv4 Transfer Market.

< <https://www.arin.net/announcements/2015/20150924.html> https://www.arin.net/announcements/2015/20150924.html>

ARIN Allocates Last Of North America's IPv4 Addresses

The last of North America's IPv4 addresses has been allocated from the "free pool", the body responsible for allocating internet protocol addresses in North America, the American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) announced.

< <http://www.goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=24171> http://www.goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=24171>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2015/09/25/arin-allocates-last-north-americas-ipv4-addresses/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2015/09/25/arin-allocates-last-north-americas-ipv4-addresses/>

ARIN Reaches IPv4 Depletion

As indicated in an announcement issued today, ARIN?s IPv4 free pool has depleted. This is an important milestone for the Internet as we now usher in the age of IPv6.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2015/09/25/arin-reaches-ipv4-depletion/> http://blog.apnic.net/2015/09/25/arin-reaches-ipv4-depletion/>

Official: North America is COMPLETELY OUT of new IPv4 addresses

North America has officially run dry of new IPv4 addresses, the numbers that computers use to find each other on the internet.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/24/arin_ipv4_interview_ipv6/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/24/arin_ipv4_interview_ipv6/>

It's official: North America is out of new IPv4 addresses

North America has finally run out of new addresses based on IPv4, the numbering system that got the Internet where it is today but is running out of space for the coming era of networking.

< <http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/585343/it-official-north-america-new-ipv4-addresses/> http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/585343/it-official-north-america-new-ipv4-addresses/>

< <http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/585343/it-official-north-america-new-ipv4-addresses/> http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/585343/it-official-north-america-new-ipv4-addresses/>

BT sets date for IPv6 network conversion

BT has announced that by the end of 2016 its entire network will be able to use IPv6 - the next version of the net's core addressing system.

< <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34346803> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34346803>

uk: BT embarks on year-long IPv6 transition

BT has set out on a mission to switch over 6 million customers around the UK onto IPv6 network addresses by the end of 2016.

< <http://www.computerweekly.com/news/4500254164/BT-embarks-on-year-long-IPv6-transition> http://www.computerweekly.com/news/4500254164/BT-embarks-on-year-long-IPv6-transition>

Susan Chalmers to Lead Efforts on IPv6 Best Practices Forum

The five Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) have jointly engaged Susan Chalmers to lead efforts around a Best Practices Forum (BPF) that will examine ?Creating an Enabling Environment for IPv6 Adoption? for the upcoming Internet Governance Forum (IGF) in Joao Pessoa, Brazil in November.

< <https://www.nro.net/news/susan-chalmers-to-lead-efforts-on-ipv6-best-practices-forum> https://www.nro.net/news/susan-chalmers-to-lead-efforts-on-ipv6-best-practices-forum>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

Norway?s Pirate Bay Block Rendered Useless by ?Mistake?

Copyright holders celebrated a landmark victory early September when a Norwegian court ordered local ISPs to block the Pirate Bay. A breakthrough verdict perhaps, but one with a major flaw as the rightsholder forgot to list one of the site's main domain names.

< <https://torrentfreak.com/norways-pirate-bay-block-rendered-useless-by-mistake-150925/> https://torrentfreak.com/norways-pirate-bay-block-rendered-useless-by-mistake-150925/>

Volkswagen registers ?sucks? and ?blows? domain names

This week I wrote about how Volkswagen registered a number of domain names related to its diesel emissions scandal. The domains, such as VWdieselinfo.com, were likely registered to disseminate information about recalls.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/09/26/volkswagen-registers-sucks-and-blows-domain-names/> http://domainnamewire.com/2015/09/26/volkswagen-registers-sucks-and-blows-domain-names/>

Amazon Turns On AmazonRegistry.com To Sell New gTLD Domain Names

Amazon applied for 76 new gTLD's. When Amazon applied for their new gTLD's they applied to operate them on a closed basis meaning the public would not be able to register any domain names without Amazon allocating them, but the Governmental Advisory Council (GAC) to ICANN nixed the plan for the most part, while still allowing .Brand Applications.

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2015/09/27/amazon-turns-on-amazonregistry-com-to-sell-new-gtld-domain-names/> http://www.thedomains.com/2015/09/27/amazon-turns-on-amazonregistry-com-to-sell-new-gtld-domain-names/>

Volkswagen registers domain names related to emissions scandal

Volkswagen has registered a handful of domain names related to the diesel emissions scandal. The names don?t seem defensive and could be used to disseminate information about what it is doing in the wake of the revelations that it outfitted cars with software to outsmart emissions tests.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/09/24/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/> http://domainnamewire.com/2015/09/24/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/>

**********************

DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

DomainSherpa publisher invests in domain investment platform Efty

Michael Cyger, publisher of DomainSherpa, has invested in domain name investment platform Efty. In addition to the investment, Cyger will work with the company to build and promote the service.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/09/25/efty-investment/> http://domainnamewire.com/2015/09/25/efty-investment/>

BlueStar.com

So, a couple of weeks ago, I was able to broker the domain BlueStar.com for $90,000. Here?s the story behind this one and what made this deal so interesting... First let?s talk about what makes this domain so valuable...

< <http://domainsaleguide.com/2015/09/25/bluestar-com/> http://domainsaleguide.com/2015/09/25/bluestar-com/>

Rick Schwartz Does it Again - Sells 3-Digit .Com for Over 800K Giving Him the Week's Top Sale and Two of the Year's Top Three

For a guy who has gone into retirement Domain King Rick Schwartz has managed to stay busy in the domain aftermarket. As our mutual friend Michael Berkens reported today at TheDomains.com, Rick has completed the $801,000 sale of 899.com to a Chinese buyer. In addition to giving Schwartz the top spot on this week's all extension Top 20 Sales Chart, it gives Rick two of three biggest sales reported so far this year - including 2015's top sale (by far) in Porno.com, a name he sold in February for $8,888,888.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20150923.htm> http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20150923.htm>

**********************

REPORTS & RESEARCH PAPERS

**********************

A revolution in interaction

A new study of interactions reveals how pervasive they are. As they increase in number, answers to fundamental questions about intergration, scale, and scope will change. But what will happen when workers can carry out their jobs in half the time?

< <http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/strategy/a_revolution_in_interaction> http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/strategy/a_revolution_in_interaction>

*********************************

CHILD PROTECTION & ONLINE SAFETY

*********************************

Urgent action needed to combat online violence against women & girls, says new UN report: Millions affected globally, but most countries still failing to effectively address growing problem

A new report released today by the United Nations Broadband Commission reveals that almost three quarters of women online have been exposed to some form of cyber violence, and urges governments and industry to work harder and more effectively together to better protect the growing number of women and girls who are victims of online threats and harassment. The report notes that despite the rapidly growing number of women experiencing online violence, only 26 percent of law enforcement agencies in the 86 countries surveyed are taking appropriate action.

< <http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2015/36.aspx#.VgfurWvdemA> http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2015/36.aspx#.VgfurWvdemA>

**********************

ONLINE CRIME & LEGAL

**********************

Google, Others Seek to Make Cybercrime Costlier For Criminals

Researchers from Google and several academic institutions are devising ways to fight organized cybercrime by targeting the support infrastructure and financial services used by threat actors to conduct illegal activities.

< <http://www.darkreading.com/risk/google-others-seek-to-make-cybercrime-costlier-for-criminals/d/d-id/1322354> http://www.darkreading.com/risk/google-others-seek-to-make-cybercrime-costlier-for-criminals/d/d-id/1322354>

**************************

GOVERNMENT & POLICY

**************************

au: Data retention: Telcos call for 'urgent clarity' on funding to help them implement scheme

Telecommunications companies are calling for "urgent clarity" on the distribution of government funds to help them collect and keep customer information for national security purposes.

< <http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-25/telcos-call-for-urgent-clarity-on-data-retention-funding/6803662> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-25/telcos-call-for-urgent-clarity-on-data-retention-funding/6803662>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport> https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery