[DNS] auDA domain news - 30 November

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 13:23:07 +1100

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Internet Stakeholders Urge the United Nations to Safeguard Key Principles
for the Future of the Internet

<
<http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-stakeholders-urge-united-natio
ns-safeguard-key-principles-future-internet>
http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-stakeholders-urge-united-nation
s-safeguard-key-principles-future-internet>

How ICANN accountability reforms dodged a bullet (barely) by Milton Mueller

<
<http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/11/28/how-icann-accountability-refor
ms-dodged-a-bullet-barely/>
http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/11/28/how-icann-accountability-reform
s-dodged-a-bullet-barely/>

au: ACCAN voices concern over proposed domain name system changes

<
<http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/589784/accan-voices-concern-over-proposed-
domain-name-system-changes/>
http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/589784/accan-voices-concern-over-proposed-d
omain-name-system-changes/>

au: ACCAN concerned by domain name system changes

<
<http://www.telecompaper.com/news/accan-concerned-by-domain-name-system-chan
ges--1116041>
http://www.telecompaper.com/news/accan-concerned-by-domain-name-system-chang
es--1116041>

au: ACCAN voices concern over proposed changes to domain name system

<
<https://accan.org.au/news-items/hot-issues/1134-domain-name-changes-release

https://accan.org.au/news-items/hot-issues/1134-domain-name-changes-release>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

Internet Stakeholders Urge the United Nations to Safeguard Key Principles
for the Future of the Internet

The Internet Society today announced that it has joined more than 200
organizations and individuals who have signed a statement intended for
leaders and governments participating in the United Nations General
Assembly's WSIS+10 Review.

<
<http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-stakeholders-urge-united-natio
ns-safeguard-key-principles-future-internet>
http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-stakeholders-urge-united-nation
s-safeguard-key-principles-future-internet>

**********************

ICANN

**********************

How ICANN accountability reforms dodged a bullet (barely) by Milton Mueller

This is the story of how ICANN accountability reforms dodged a bullet
(barely), and how a greedy GAC got its wrist slapped. Actually the story is
not quite over, and we do not know for sure yet whether the ending is a
happy one. But that is why the story must be told now.

<
<http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/11/28/how-icann-accountability-refor
ms-dodged-a-bullet-barely/>
http://www.internetgovernance.org/2015/11/28/how-icann-accountability-reform
s-dodged-a-bullet-barely/>

The Cock and the Goat: ICANN in the Age of Horrorism by Katim S. Touray

Like everyone else, former ICANN board members have been preoccupied by the
horrific November 13th, 2015 attacks on Paris, France, by a bunch of
cold-blooded mass murderers. Our email list discussion of the Paris attacks
covered a number of issues, including the inevitable question: what, if
anything, should ICANN do in response? Some list subscribers concluded that
the events had nothing to do with ICANN's mission, and that we should just
sigh and move on. Others, on the other hand, said: not so fast, it would
serve ICANN well to take a closer look at the matter, and its ramifications
on wider world of ICANN.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151129_the_cock_and_the_goat_icann_in_the_a
ge_of_horrorism/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151129_the_cock_and_the_goat_icann_in_the_ag
e_of_horrorism/>

**********************

ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

au: ACCAN voices concern over proposed domain name system changes

The Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN) has written to
the auDA board to voice concerns over the proposed changes to the Australian
domain name system.

<
<http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/589784/accan-voices-concern-over-proposed-
domain-name-system-changes/>
http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/589784/accan-voices-concern-over-proposed-d
omain-name-system-changes/>

au: ACCAN concerned by domain name system changes

The Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN) has written to
the auDA Board to express concerns about proposed changes to the Australian
domain name system.

<
<http://www.telecompaper.com/news/accan-concerned-by-domain-name-system-chan
ges--1116041>
http://www.telecompaper.com/news/accan-concerned-by-domain-name-system-chang
es--1116041>

au: ACCAN voices concern over proposed changes to domain name system

The Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN) has written to
the auDA Board to voice concerns over the proposed changes to the Australian
domain name system. auDA is proposing to introduce a .au environment without
the need for .com, .net, .edu and so on. The proposed change will allow for
domain names like "accan.au" to be registered.

<
<https://accan.org.au/news-items/hot-issues/1134-domain-name-changes-release

https://accan.org.au/news-items/hot-issues/1134-domain-name-changes-release>

Why Aren't More Retailers Using .Blackfriday to Advertise Their Black Friday
Deals?

With Black Friday just a few days away, I expected to see more retailers
actively using the .blackfriday TLD to promote their Black Friday deals
online. To date, there are over 12,000 .blackfriday domains registered.
Registrations in November increased by nearly 500 domains, jumping from
11,942 on November 1st to 12,437 on November 21st.

<
<https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/why-arent-more-retailers-using-blackfrid
ay-to-advertise-their-black-friday-deals/>
https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/why-arent-more-retailers-using-blackfrida
y-to-advertise-their-black-friday-deals/>

2015 marked by an upswing in registrant changes of domain names under the
.fr TLD

This month's issue of the Afnic Industry Report on Domain Names focuses on
the issue of registrant changes of domain names under the .fr TLD.

<
<http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/9462/show/2015-marked-
by-an-upswing-in-registrant-changes-of-domain-names-under-the-fr-tld.html>
http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/9462/show/2015-marked-b
y-an-upswing-in-registrant-changes-of-domain-names-under-the-fr-tld.html>

Administrative contact's Estonian ID requirement to be abolished as of
December 1st

As of December 1st 2015 new Domain Regulation will enter into force.
Amendments include abolishment of the Estonian ID requirement to the
administrative contact, extra authentication options such as PayPal
Verified, and the Estonian e-resident's digital signature will be considered
equivalent to Estonian digital signature.

< <http://www.internet.ee/news/article-2>
http://www.internet.ee/news/article-2>

.ee registry system will be changed on 1st of December

Due to the platform change, .ee registration services are interrupted on
30/11 from 21:00 PM to 1:00 AM. At 1:00 AM the new system will be opened for
registrars. We apologize for any inconvenience.

<
<http://www.internet.ee/news/ee-registry-system-will-be-changed-on-1st-of-de
cember>
http://www.internet.ee/news/ee-registry-system-will-be-changed-on-1st-of-dec
ember>

Launch of the 2015 EURid-UNESCO World Report at the 7th EIS Conference

We are delighted to announce that EURid will host a workshop in cooperation
with Knowledge4Innovation entitled "Internationalized Domain Names and
online multilingualism: The next Internet frontier". The event, which will
present the 2015 EURid-UNESCO World Report, will take place on 10 December
2015 from 15h00 until 17h00 at the 7th EIS Conference held at the European
Parliament in Brussels.

<
<http://www.eurid.eu/en/news/nov-2015/launch-2015-eurid-unesco-world-report-
7th-eis-conference>
http://www.eurid.eu/en/news/nov-2015/launch-2015-eurid-unesco-world-report-7
th-eis-conference>

nl: Worry-free internet use

Computable 100 features an interview with Joanna Klaver (HR Manager) and
Cristian Hesselman (Manager of SIDN Labs), in which they talk about what
SIDN does and how engaged and enthusiastic our personnel are.

< <https://www.sidn.nl/a/about-sidn/worry-free-internet-use>
https://www.sidn.nl/a/about-sidn/worry-free-internet-use>

LusNIC - Portuguese language ccTLD's association formally constituted

The LusNIC - Portuguese language ccTLD's association was formally
constituted, in e-Show Portugal, integrating for now Brazil, Cape Verde,
Guinea-Bissau, Portugal and Sao Tome and Principe. Angola has also formally
expressed interest in joining the Association.

<
<https://www.dns.pt/en/news/lusnic-portuguese-language-cctld-s-association-f
ormally-constituted/>
https://www.dns.pt/en/news/lusnic-portuguese-language-cctld-s-association-fo
rmally-constituted/>

Complaints over 50% .uk price hike

.uk registrars are petitioning Nominet to complain about plans to increase
the price of a .uk domain name by up to 50%.

< <http://domainincite.com/19657-complaints-over-50-uk-price-hike>
http://domainincite.com/19657-complaints-over-50-uk-price-hike>

**********************

NEW TLDS

**********************

.XYZ Has More Domain Registrations Than Donuts 183 gTLD's Combined

According to ntldstats.com, .XYZ has more domain registrations than all of
Donuts strings combined.

<
<http://www.thedomains.com/2015/11/29/xyz-has-more-domain-registrations-than
-donuts-183-gtlds-combined/>
http://www.thedomains.com/2015/11/29/xyz-has-more-domain-registrations-than-
donuts-183-gtlds-combined/>

**********************

DNS SECURITY

**********************

In Network Security Design, It's About the Users by Burt Kaliski

Designers would like to be able to show that a system, properly implemented
and operated, meets its objectives for confidentiality, integrity,
availability and other attributes against the variety of threats the system
may encounter.

< <http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/in_network_security_design_it>
http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/in_network_security_design_it>

**********************

DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Cybersquatter used Dunhill domain to sell fake goods

Luxury brand Alfred Dunhill has secured the rights to a domain name that a
cybersquatter had used to sell counterfeit products.

<
<http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/cybersquatter-used-dunhill-do
main-to-sell-fake-goods-4555>
http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/cybersquatter-used-dunhill-dom
ain-to-sell-fake-goods-4555>

**********************

IPv4/IPv6

**********************

IPv6 Performance by Geoff Huston

Every so often I hear the claim that some service or other does not support
IPv6 not because of some technical issue, or some cost or business issue,
but simply because the service operator is of the view that IPv6 offers an
inferior level service as compared to IPv4, and by offering the service over
IPv6 they would be exposing their clients to an inferior level of
performance of the service. But is this really the case? Is IPv6 an inferior
cousin of IPv4 in terms of service performance?

< <http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2015-11/v6perf.html>
http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2015-11/v6perf.html>

Understanding the IPv4 Secondary Market by Dr Ajay Kumar

While allocation of IP addresses by Regional Internet Registries (RIRs)
today is generally on a 'needs' basis, in the early days of the Internet
allocations took place largely on a first come first served basis. No one
could have really foreseen that the Internet would expand in the way it has,
and that IPv4 addresses would one day become a scarce commodity.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2015/11/27/6765/>
http://blog.apnic.net/2015/11/27/6765/>

Running out of Internet addresses: What IPv4 exhaustion means for you

We reached the end of an Internet era just a few weeks ago. The American
Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN), the body that distributes Internet
addresses in North America, announced it had exhausted its pool of numbers
based on the IPv4 standard. Though invisible to users, IPv4 played a huge
role in creating the Internet as we know it by facilitating the connection
of millions of computers, smartphones, tablets, and smart devices.

<
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/3007054/home-networking/running-out-of-inter
net-addresses-what-ipv4-exhaustion-means-for-you.html>
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3007054/home-networking/running-out-of-intern
et-addresses-what-ipv4-exhaustion-means-for-you.html>

Africa should accelerate IPv6 migration now to avoid a scramble later

The Internet community across Africa needs to prepare for the inevitable day
when AFRINIC, the Regional Internet Registry (RIR), will run out of IPv4
addresses to allocate to its members. This follows the news that ARIN
(American Registry for Internet Numbers) officially ran out of IPv4
addresses on 24 September this year.

<
<http://memeburn.com/2015/11/africa-should-accelerate-ipv6-migration-now-to-
avoid-a-scramble-later/>
http://memeburn.com/2015/11/africa-should-accelerate-ipv6-migration-now-to-a
void-a-scramble-later/>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

As WHOIS Transitions to RDAP, How Do We Avoid the Same Mistakes? by Scott
Hollenbeck

In 1905, philosopher George Santayana famously noted, "Those who cannot
remember the past are condemned to repeat it." When past attempts to resolve
a challenge have failed, it makes sense to consider different approaches
even if they seem controversial or otherwise at odds with maintaining the
status quo. Such is the case with the opportunity to make real progress in
addressing the many functional issues associated with WHOIS. We need to
think differently.

< <http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/as_whois_transitions_to_rdap>
http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/as_whois_transitions_to_rdap>

Views on ICANN's First New gTLD Round From Flip Petillion, Crowell & Moring,
Brussels

How does your practice intersect with domain names? Flip Petillion: I have
been practicing for nearly 30 years, and I've been in intellectual property
for nearly the same period. I became familiar with domain names in the
mid-nineties. I was one of the first panelists in the .be alternative
dispute resolution procedure-comparable to the Uniform Dispute Resolution
Policy-where I rendered the first decision.

< <http://www.bna.com/views-on-icann-n57982064009/>
http://www.bna.com/views-on-icann-n57982064009/>

**********************

WEBHOSTING

**********************

Web Hosting Sales and Promos - Black Friday and Cyber Monday Edition

If you're looking for a good deal on hosting, you've definitely come to the
right place. In the week ending Nov. 27, there are numerous deals and
discounts on web hosting and domains, but some end tonight so act fast!

<
<http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/web-hosting-sales-and-promos-black-
friday-and-cyber-monday-edition>
http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/web-hosting-sales-and-promos-black-f
riday-and-cyber-monday-edition>

**********************

DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

Another Big Numeric Domain Sale from Rick Schwartz and a Pair of 3-Letter
.Coms Set Pace on This Week's Chart

Some things never change - short domains attract buyers and Rick Schwartz
makes big sales. As Michael Berkens reported this week, Rick did it again -
banking $225,000 for 8181.com, the largest publicly reported 4-digit sale on
record to date.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20151125.htm>
http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20151125.htm>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport>
https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time
you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery