[DNS] auDA domain news - 24 December

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 15:00:32 +1100
Hi all,

This is the final Domain News for 2015 ? the 12th year I?ve been providing the news service for auDA. Thanks to auDA for their support for the year once more. The Domain News will return in the week commencing 4 January 2016. I?ll continue monitoring the news and send all the news over the break when I return.

I'm always looking for comments and suggestions on how to improve the news. More content on existing topics? Are there topics I don't cover that are of interest? Feel free to drop me a line and let me know. What is of use to you might benefit others and I'm always happy to consider comments and suggestions.

So have a merry Christmas and an enjoyable new year and I?ll be back soon enough!

Kind regards,

David

The domain name news is supported by auDA

IGF, WSIS 10+ & WIC: Three World Conferences for One Internet by Wolfgang Kleinw?chter

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151221_igf_wsis_10_wic_three_world_conferences_for_one_internet/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151221_igf_wsis_10_wic_three_world_conferences_for_one_internet/>

Why WSIS+10 Matters to the Future of the Internet by Charles H. Rivkin, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Economic and Business Affairs

< <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charles-h-rivkin/why-wsis10-matters-to-the_b_8869154.html> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charles-h-rivkin/why-wsis10-matters-to-the_b_8869154.html>

Negotiating the WSIS+10 and the Future of the Internet by Daniel A. Sepulveda

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151223_negotiating_the_wsis10_and_the_future_of_the_internet/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151223_negotiating_the_wsis10_and_the_future_of_the_internet/>

My Transition from ICANN CEO, an Update by Fadi Chehad?

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/my-transition-from-icann-ceo-an-update> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/my-transition-from-icann-ceo-an-update>

IANA Stewardship Transition Implementation Planning: Taking Stock of the Last Two Months and Looking Forward to 2016 by Akram Atallah

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/iana-stewardship-transition-implementation-planning-taking-stock-of-the-last-two-months-and-looking-forward-to-2016> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/iana-stewardship-transition-implementation-planning-taking-stock-of-the-last-two-months-and-looking-forward-to-2016>

auDA Board appoints new Chair

< <http://auda.org.au/news/auda-board-appoints-new-chair/> http://auda.org.au/news/auda-board-appoints-new-chair/>

Afilias seeks to freeze Architelos patent after $10m lawsuit win

< <http://domainincite.com/19744-afilias-seeks-to-freeze-architelos-patent-after-10m-lawsuit-win> http://domainincite.com/19744-afilias-seeks-to-freeze-architelos-patent-after-10m-lawsuit-win>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

IGF, WSIS 10+ & WIC: Three World Conferences for One Internet by Wolfgang Kleinw?chter

In the last six weeks we could follow three world conferences on Internet issues. In November 2015 the 10th IGF attracted nearly 5000 offline and online participants in the Brazilian Sea-Resort Joao Pessoa. In mid-December 2015, the governments of the 193 UN member states, together with a crowd of non-governmental stakeholders, finalized the review of the 2005 UN WSIS and adopted the WSIS 10+ outcome document. And nearly 2000 people from more than 100 countries did meet on December, 16 ? 18, 2015 in the Chinese Water-Town of Wuzhen at the 2nd World Internet Conference.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151221_igf_wsis_10_wic_three_world_conferences_for_one_internet/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151221_igf_wsis_10_wic_three_world_conferences_for_one_internet/>

Why WSIS+10 Matters to the Future of the Internet by Charles H. Rivkin, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Economic and Business Affairs

As more and more people use and rely on the Internet around the globe, one of the key questions is how it should be governed - and who should set the rules. Now, the question of Internet governance might not keep everyone up at night, but the answer affects all of us, which is why a U.S. State Department-led team was up negotiating this issue at three in the morning at a critical United Nations meeting earlier this month.

< <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charles-h-rivkin/why-wsis10-matters-to-the_b_8869154.html> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charles-h-rivkin/why-wsis10-matters-to-the_b_8869154.html>

In cyberspace, China?s aim is to control and censor, no matter what it says

President Xi Jinping (???) delivered a keynote speech at the World Internet Conference, in Wuzhen, Zhejiang (??) province last week, in defence of China?s tight censorship of cyberspace. He laid out his vision for global internet governance, in particular emphasising that cyberspace is not beyond the rule of law and efforts must be made to build a sound legal order to protect the legitimate rights and interests of internet users.

< <http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1893924/cyberspace-chinas-aim-control-and-censor-no-matter-what-it> http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1893924/cyberspace-chinas-aim-control-and-censor-no-matter-what-it>

Negotiating the WSIS+10 and the Future of the Internet by Daniel A. Sepulveda

After two and a half years of technical analysis and discussions, six months of deliberations among all stakeholders, and intense negotiations at the United Nations, at three o'clock in the morning on December 12, 2015, the talented co-facilitators from the United Arab Emirates and Latvia dropped the gavel on the outcome document for the ten-year review of the WSIS. That consensus document presents international principles that will guide the UN's work on ICT-related issues.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151223_negotiating_the_wsis10_and_the_future_of_the_internet/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151223_negotiating_the_wsis10_and_the_future_of_the_internet/>

Three ways China is finally taking its seat at the world's table

was anxious to make a good impression at the recent World Internet Conference in Wuzhen, China. Attendees had luxurious accommodations in 19th-century townhouses along picturesque canals, an army of staffers catered to the delegates, who each received a free Chinese smartphone that, among others things, included software to open Facebook and Twitter. (Though both websites are banned in China.)

< <http://in.reuters.com/article/manuel-china-idINL1N14C1K220151223> http://in.reuters.com/article/manuel-china-idINL1N14C1K220151223>

< <http://www.trust.org/item/20151223192252-qfo85> http://www.trust.org/item/20151223192252-qfo85>

Congress Should Reject ICANN Transition Proposal Unless Significant Changes Are Made by Brett Schaefer & Paul Rosenzweig

Since the U.S. NTIA first announced that it intended to transition U.S. oversight of ICANN to the global multi-stakeholder Internet community in March 2014, the multi-stakeholder community has been working diligently on proposals to ensure that ICANN remains accountable and the Internet remains stable, secure, and resilient absent U.S. oversight.

< <http://dailysignal.com/2015/12/22/congress-should-reject-icann-transition-proposal-unless-significant-changes-are-made/> http://dailysignal.com/2015/12/22/congress-should-reject-icann-transition-proposal-unless-significant-changes-are-made/>

Welcome to the Splinternet by Scott Malcomson, former Sr. Advisor to the United Nations and International Crisis Group; author, 'Splinternet: How Geopolitics and Commerce Are Fragmenting the World Wide Web.'

The Internet is edging closer to the Splinternet. The leading Republican candidate for U.S. president, Donald Trump, has referred to "closing" the Internet in areas where the U.S. has enemies, while China's president, Xi Jinping, reasserted, at the second World Internet Conference in China last week, that each state has a sovereign right to control what its citizens can and can't do in cyberspace.

< <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-malcomson/welcome-to-the-splinterne_b_8855212.html> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-malcomson/welcome-to-the-splinterne_b_8855212.html>

Rough Consensus & Ambigious Compromise in Global Digital Politics by Dr. Jovan Kurbalija, founding director of DiploFoundation and Head of the Geneva Internet Platform

The UN's ten-year review of WSIS concluded successfully with the adoption of the WSIS+10 Resolution on 16 December 2015. The review process was a 'diplomatic sprint': in just a few months (effectively since September this year), negotiators managed to draft a complex and diplomatically delicate text.

< <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jovan-kurbalija/rounh-consensus-ambigious_b_8848952.html> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jovan-kurbalija/rounh-consensus-ambigious_b_8848952.html>

**********************

ICANN

**********************

Succession at the ICANN APAC Hub by Sally Costerton, Sr Advisor to President, GSE

After two and a half remarkable years of establishing and growing ICANN?s presence in the APAC region, Kuek Yu-Chuang, our Vice President and Managing Director of the Asia Pacific Hub, has decided to move into a new career outside the Domain Name Industry.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/succession-at-the-icann-apac-hub> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/succession-at-the-icann-apac-hub>

The Ethiopic Script Community Forms Generation Panel for Developing the Root Zone Label Generation Rules

ICANN is pleased to announce the formation of the Generation Panel to develop Root Zone Label Generation Rules for the Ethiopic script.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-12-22-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-12-22-en>

My Transition from ICANN CEO, an Update by Fadi Chehad?

As you know, I will be leaving ICANN in March 2016, and I have been sharing my future plans. As previously announced, I have accepted an appointment with a financial institution, and in addition, I?ve been invited to serve in several part-time advisory roles post ICANN. I...

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/my-transition-from-icann-ceo-an-update> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/my-transition-from-icann-ceo-an-update>

James Bladel, GNSO Council Chair, Introduces the New Council and Looks Ahead to 2016

Hello, and welcome to the GNSO! Whether you are an ICANN veteran, or still trying to decode all of the acronyms, the busy agenda of the GNSO ensures that there's always something new to learn. On behalf of the GNSO Council and all of the GNSO stakeholder groups, I'd like to thank you for taking an interest in our work.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/james-bladel-gnso-council-chair-introduces-the-new-council-and-looks-ahead-to-2016> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/james-bladel-gnso-council-chair-introduces-the-new-council-and-looks-ahead-to-2016>

IANA Stewardship Transition Implementation Planning: Taking Stock of the Last Two Months and Looking Forward to 2016 by Akram Atallah

The last update I provided was just over two months ago as we were heading into ICANN54 in Dublin. Our goal at that time was to receive feedback and better understand the community?s need for reporting and oversight of implementation planning for the IANA Stewardship Transition. In looking back at our progress since October, we achieved this and much more.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/iana-stewardship-transition-implementation-planning-taking-stock-of-the-last-two-months-and-looking-forward-to-2016> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/iana-stewardship-transition-implementation-planning-taking-stock-of-the-last-two-months-and-looking-forward-to-2016>

Final Report Recommendations of the Geographic Regions Review Working Group

The cross-community Geographic Regions Review Working Group has produced its Final Report in which it proposes a series of recommendations regarding the ongoing application of the organization?s geographic regions framework.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2015-12-23-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2015-12-23-en>

Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team Seated

ICANN today announced that 17 individuals have been selected to serve on the team that will review the New gTLD Program in relation to competition, consumer trust and consumer choice. Review team members represent an array of geographic regions and areas of expertise, and have demonstrated knowledge of the New gTLD Program or one of the review areas.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-12-23-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-12-23-en>

Syntax and Operability Accuracy of WHOIS Data in gTLDs Presented in Accuracy Reporting System Phase 2 Report

ICANN today published the Phase 2 report of the WHOIS Accuracy Reporting System, which acts as a follow-on to the Phase 1 report published in August 2015. During Phase 2, ICANN measured both the syntax and operability accuracy of WHOIS records in gTLDs as compared to the requirements of the 2009 and 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreements.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-12-23-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-12-23-en>

Updated PDT Specifications: Whois Test Updates

ICANN has updated the PDT test specifications and supporting resources for Whois testing. The changes update the Whois tests to incorporate requirements described in the Additional Whois Information Policy and the Whois Advisory, published on 27 April 2015.

< <http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-23dec15-en> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-23dec15-en>

Letter from Paul Zamek, EVP: Communications & Strategic Relationships | DotMusic Limited, to ICANN and the Economist Intelligence Unit

New gTLD Application for .MUSIC

< <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/zamek-to-icann-eiu-22dec15-en.pdf> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/zamek-to-icann-eiu-22dec15-en.pdf>

Email from Rick Carnes, President | Songwriters Guild of America, to Stephen D. Crocker

New gTLD Application for .MUSIC

< <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/carnes-to-crocker-redacted-21dec15-en.pdf> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/carnes-to-crocker-redacted-21dec15-en.pdf>

Letter from Fadi Chehad? to Alan Greenberg

Re: ICANN and Consumer Trust

< <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/chehade-to-greenberg-21dec15-en.pdf> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/chehade-to-greenberg-21dec15-en.pdf>

Letter from Akram Atallah to Heather Diaz

Sunrise and Trademark Clearinghouse Rights Protection Mechanisms

< <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/atallah-to-diaz-18dec15-en.pdf> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/atallah-to-diaz-18dec15-en.pdf>

Letter from Constantine Roussos, Founder | DotMusic Limited, to ICANN and the Economist Intelligence Unit

New gTLD Application for .MUSIC

< <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/roussos-to-icann-eiu-16dec15-en.pdf> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/roussos-to-icann-eiu-16dec15-en.pdf>

**********************

ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

TRA reveals 40% rise in .ae domain registrations [news release]

The General Authority for Regulating the Telecommunications sector announced that the number of registrations on the national .ae domain increased reaching more than 175,000, as there are 22 accredited registrars who are providing .ae domain registration services all over the world.

< <http://www.emirates247.com/business/economy-finance/tra-reveals-40-rise-in-ae-domain-registrations-2015-12-21-1.614699> http://www.emirates247.com/business/economy-finance/tra-reveals-40-rise-in-ae-domain-registrations-2015-12-21-1.614699>

auDA Board appoints new Chair

The Board of auDA is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr Stuart Benjamin as the new Chair of auDA.

< <http://auda.org.au/news/auda-board-appoints-new-chair/> http://auda.org.au/news/auda-board-appoints-new-chair/>

TLS says .feedback will be ?UDRP-proof?, will hire lawyers to defend registrants

Top Level Spectrum plans to make its .feedback domains dirt cheap for domainers during its forthcoming Early Access Period, and is claiming that its domains will be ?UDRP-proof?.

< <http://domainincite.com/19736-tls-says-feedback-will-be-udrp-proof-will-hire-lawyers-to-defend-registrants> http://domainincite.com/19736-tls-says-feedback-will-be-udrp-proof-will-hire-lawyers-to-defend-registrants>

.phone will be restricted after Dish gTLD auction win

The new gTLD .phone is going to be tightly restricted, after Dish DBS won the contested string at auction.

< <http://domainincite.com/19732-phone-will-be-restricted-after-dish-gtld-auction-win> http://domainincite.com/19732-phone-will-be-restricted-after-dish-gtld-auction-win>

More on my Twitter.sucks reg

If you were reading on Friday, you?ll know that I brought about the registration of the domain twitter.sucks and took charge of a web site hosted at that address.

< <http://domainincite.com/19734-more-on-my-twitter-sucks-reg> http://domainincite.com/19734-more-on-my-twitter-sucks-reg>

**********************

NEW TLDS

**********************

What's in a Name? by Geoff Huston

What's the difference between .local and .here? Or between .onion and .apple? All four of these labels are capable of being represented in the Internet's DNS as a gTLD, but only two of these are in fact delegated names. The other two, .local and .onion not only don't exist in the delegated name space, but by virtue of a registration in the IANA's Special Use Domain Name registry, these names cannot exist in the conventional delegated domain name space.

< <http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2015-12/names.html> http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2015-12/names.html>

Domain name expert shares tips on new TLDs

Businesses now have a new way of standing out from the crowd and being identified faster online, thanks to the release of new TLD names in late 2013. We caught up with Adrian Kinderis, Vice President of Corporate Development at Neustar ? and Chair of the Domain Name Association ? to find out what all the fuss is about.

< <http://live.melbourne/media-release/domain-name-expert-shares-tips-on-new-tlds/> http://live.melbourne/media-release/domain-name-expert-shares-tips-on-new-tlds/>

**********************

DNS SECURITY

**********************

Nearly a billion PCs run this notoriously insecure software. Now Oracle has to clean it up.

Oracle, one of the nation's largest tech companies, is settling federal charges that it misled consumers about the security of its software, which is installed on roughly 850 million computers around the world.

< <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/12/21/nearly-a-billion-pcs-run-this-notoriously-insecure-software-now-oracle-has-to-clean-it-up/> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/12/21/nearly-a-billion-pcs-run-this-notoriously-insecure-software-now-oracle-has-to-clean-it-up/>

Cyber security expert warns German banks of retail payments risks

A top cyber security researcher has warned German banks that their retail payment systems have security flaws that could allow fraudsters to steal payment card PIN codes, create fake cards or siphon funds from customer or merchant accounts.

< <http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-cybersecurity-germany-payment-idUKKBN0U51QP20151222> http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-cybersecurity-germany-payment-idUKKBN0U51QP20151222>

Error 451: There?s Now an HTTP Code for Internet Censorship

Increasingly, Internet providers are being instructed by courts to block access to websites. This measure is often applied against copyright infringing sites, but not always with a proper explanation. The IETF just approved a special HTTP status code for these type of legal demands, Error 451.

< <https://torrentfreak.com/error-451-theres-now-an-http-code-for-internet-censorship-151222/> https://torrentfreak.com/error-451-theres-now-an-http-code-for-internet-censorship-151222/>

Routing ?Feature? Can Expose VPN Users? Real IP-Addresses

A VPN is generally touted as an ideal tool to remain anonymous online, but this is more easily said than done. This week ProstoVPN revealed a widespread issue that can in many cases expose the true IP-addresses of users, unless proper action is taken.

< <https://torrentfreak.com/routing-feature-can-expose-vpn-users-real-ip-addresses-151222/> https://torrentfreak.com/routing-feature-can-expose-vpn-users-real-ip-addresses-151222/>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

Afilias seeks to freeze Architelos patent after $10m lawsuit win

Afilias seems bent on burying domain security software maker Architelos, after winning a $10 million lawsuit against it.

< <http://domainincite.com/19744-afilias-seeks-to-freeze-architelos-patent-after-10m-lawsuit-win> http://domainincite.com/19744-afilias-seeks-to-freeze-architelos-patent-after-10m-lawsuit-win>

Verisign gets patent for generating Pronounceable domain names

.Com registry Verisign has obtained U.S. patent number 9,218,334 for ?Pronounceable domain names?.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/12/22/verisign-patent-pronounceable/> http://domainnamewire.com/2015/12/22/verisign-patent-pronounceable/>

Tucows CEO Elliot Noss ? DNW Podcast #63

Elliot NossTucows started in the early 90s as a software download site, but is now one of the world?s largest domain name registrars and has a market cap of about $250 million. CEO Elliot Noss explains a common thread in Tucows? transition from downloads to domains, and now a provider of mobile phone and internet service.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/12/21/tucows-ceo-elliot-noss-dnw-podcast-63/> http://domainnamewire.com/2015/12/21/tucows-ceo-elliot-noss-dnw-podcast-63/>

**********************

DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

Less is More - The Sales Boom in Short Character Domain Names by Tobias Flaitz

Much of the domain industry has seen a huge surge in sales of 2, 3 & 4 character sales. More specifically numeric domain sales are ever increasing mostly driven by Chinese buyers. As such domain marketplaces are utilizing and developing stronger connections in China to foster this growth even further while creating awareness for why this is occurring. When talk turns to economic and trade growth, China is never left out of the conversation. This talk extends to the domain market as well.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151221_less_is_more_the_sales_boom_in_short_character_domain_names/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151221_less_is_more_the_sales_boom_in_short_character_domain_names/>

Two 6-Figure Sales Top This Week's Chart - Three of the Four Biggest Sales Are 3-Letter .Coms

Ultra-short domain names loosened their stranglehold on the top sales this week, even though three of the top four spots went to 3-letter .coms.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20151223.htm> http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20151223.htm>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__goldsteinreport.com_&d=CwMFAg&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=B2x3Q4X30AxRSbyEnPDhUlR9BoDuxv9nMKba-vIqMjc&m=DlYmxGr4seiLqEAEzgZV7fFJmJ2wNNOU5_pIpI6dX1w&s=oyFWhkQ9AJrbNd6E4SaaM_HWx4v2YXUt8WpA-Xdaobc&e=> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_goldsteinreport&d=CwMFAg&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=B2x3Q4X30AxRSbyEnPDhUlR9BoDuxv9nMKba-vIqMjc&m=DlYmxGr4seiLqEAEzgZV7fFJmJ2wNNOU5_pIpI6dX1w&s=rCnTSSAX2rl-NjAFKfXzo9x6BRfmWxfJUADisOUtlRA&e=> https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home