[DNS] auDA domain news - 18 January

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:51:55 +1100

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Kinderis calls on industry to cut the bullshit

<
<http://domainincite.com/19772-kinderis-calls-on-industry-to-cut-the-bullshi
t>
http://domainincite.com/19772-kinderis-calls-on-industry-to-cut-the-bullshit

Domain name expert shares tips on new TLDs

<
<http://www.live.melbourne/media-release/domain-name-expert-shares-tips-on-n
ew-tlds/>
http://www.live.melbourne/media-release/domain-name-expert-shares-tips-on-ne
w-tlds/>

Building a Strong, Sustainable Domain Name Industry - With Integrity by
Adrian Kinderis

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160115_building_a_strong_sustainable_domain
_name_industry_with_integrity/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160115_building_a_strong_sustainable_domain_
name_industry_with_integrity/>

Registry Suspends Pirate Bay?s ?New? .MS Domain Name

<
<https://torrentfreak.com/registry-suspends-pirate-bays-new-ms-domain-name-1
60114/>
https://torrentfreak.com/registry-suspends-pirate-bays-new-ms-domain-name-16
0114/>

At the Start of a New Year, A Look at Domain Name Dispute Trends from 2015

<
<http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/udrp-and-urs/domain-name-disputes-in-2015

http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/udrp-and-urs/domain-name-disputes-in-2015>

Hashtags and domain names: What you should include when promoting on social
media

<
<http://iconic.sydney/media-release/hashtags-and-domain-names-what-you-shoul
d-include-when-promoting-on-social-media/>
http://iconic.sydney/media-release/hashtags-and-domain-names-what-you-should
-include-when-promoting-on-social-media/>

Google Core Update 2016: Analysis of Winners and Losers

< <http://blog.searchmetrics.com/us/2016/01/13/google-core-update/>
http://blog.searchmetrics.com/us/2016/01/13/google-core-update/>

What?s that domain worth?

< <http://www.live.melbourne/media-release/whats-that-domain-worth/>
http://www.live.melbourne/media-release/whats-that-domain-worth/>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

The next decade of Internet governance

2015 set the fundamentals for the next decade of Internet Governance (IG)
with the IANA stewardship transition and WSIS+10 being high on everyone?s
agenda. This does not mean that 2016 will be an idle year. Stakeholders will
map out their strategies aligning them with the WSIS roadmap. This paper
gives an overview of the key issues that will influence IG processes in
2016, explains roles and responsibilities of various stakeholders in these
processes, and helps ccTLDs find the red thread through the myriad of events
and interests and identifies possible ways of getting involved.

< <https://centr.org/news/01-15-2016/4642/next-decade-internet-governance>
https://centr.org/news/01-15-2016/4642/next-decade-internet-governance>

Internet set to cut cord with US government this year [AFP]

A plan to end a key US government oversight role on the Internet is on track
for completion this year, the head of the online address gatekeeper said, in
a symbolic move towards asserting the independence of the web.

<
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3399136/Internet-set-cut-cord-
US-government-year.html>
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3399136/Internet-set-cut-cord-U
S-government-year.html>

<
<http://telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/us-government-set-to-cede-
control-of-internet-governance/50575805>
http://telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/us-government-set-to-cede-c
ontrol-of-internet-governance/50575805>

**********************

ICANN

**********************

ICANN Holds Second Turkey Domain Name System Forum in Istanbul

ICANN is hosting the second Turkey Domain Name System (DNS) Forum, which
will take place from 18-19 January 2016 in Istanbul, Turkey. A key focus of
the forum will be to discuss the status of the Internet industry in Turkey
and the Turkish domain name market, exploring both the opportunities and
challenges businesses, entrepreneurs and Internet users face.

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/advisory-2016-01-12-en>
https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/advisory-2016-01-12-en>

Comment Phase Open for 2016 ICANN Board Seat 10 Election Process.

Consistent with the ASO Memorandum of Understanding and ICANN Bylaws, the
Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC) is responsible for
the appointment of a representative to serve on Seat Number 10 of the ICANN
Board.

<
<https://www.nro.net/news/comment-phase-open-for-2016-icann-board-seat-10-el
ection-process>
https://www.nro.net/news/comment-phase-open-for-2016-icann-board-seat-10-ele
ction-process>

The Real Facts & Stats About ICANN and Its gTLDs: One BIG.FAIL
 So Far? by
Phil Buckingham

The cr?me de la cr?me, the good, the bad, even the ugly of the Domain Name
Industry are attending NamesCon in Vegas this week. 2016 will be a very
challenging, absolutely critical year for those attendees and their
corporate employers as the Domain Name System (DNS) faces a massive shakeup.
In 2015, 287 global brands, worth $trillions headed by Google, Amazon, had
their new TLD Registries delegated into the root zone of the Internet.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160114_real_facts_stats_about_icann_gtlds_b
ig_fail_so_far/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160114_real_facts_stats_about_icann_gtlds_bi
g_fail_so_far/>

**********************

ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

Save the date: The .CA Community Investment Program open for applications
January 20

The .CA Community Investment Program announced today that the next
application period for funding will open on January 20th. The program will
make $1 million in funding available to Canadian registered charities,
non-profit organizations and academic researchers.

<
<https://cira.ca/news/save-date-ca-community-investment-program-open-applica
tions-january-20>
https://cira.ca/news/save-date-ca-community-investment-program-open-applicat
ions-january-20>

.cloud gets 500 sunrise regs

Aruba, the .cloud gTLD registry, said it received 500 applications during
its sunrise phase, which closed this afternoon.

< <http://domainincite.com/19777-cloud-gets-500-sunrise-regs>
http://domainincite.com/19777-cloud-gets-500-sunrise-regs>

dk: New Self Service will launch on January 31, 2016

DK Hostmaster's new Self Service will be launched on January 31, 2016
instead of January 18, 2016.

<
<https://www.dk-hostmaster.dk/english/news/news-single/artikel/new-self-serv
ice-will-launch-on-january-31-2016/>
https://www.dk-hostmaster.dk/english/news/news-single/artikel/new-self-servi
ce-will-launch-on-january-31-2016/>

.eu alternative dispute resolution fees discounted in 2016

The fee for a basic .eu Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) procedure will
continue to be discounted, following an agreement between the .eu registry
EURid and the Czech Arbitration Court, the institution appointed to rule on
Alternative Dispute Resolution proceedings for the .eu TLD in 2005.

<
<http://www.eurid.eu/en/news/jan-2016/eu-alternative-dispute-resolution-fees
-discounted-2016>
http://www.eurid.eu/en/news/jan-2016/eu-alternative-dispute-resolution-fees-
discounted-2016>

<
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2016/01/17/eu-alternative-dispute-resolution-fee
s-reduced/>
http://www.domainpulse.com/2016/01/17/eu-alternative-dispute-resolution-fees
-reduced/>

Digital Artists Go Dotty For London

Dot London, the capital?s unique domain name, is launching Dot to Dot, an
exciting art initiative using a mix of digital and traditional art forms to
showcase 20 London-based artists across the city and online, from Tuesday
12th January ? Sunday 28th February 2016.

< <http://domains.london/2016/01/digital-artists-dotty-for-london/>
http://domains.london/2016/01/digital-artists-dotty-for-london/>

.top gTLD tops a million as China goes domain nuts

China-based new gTLD .top has become only the second new gTLD to pass the
one-million-domain milestone.

<
<http://domainincite.com/19782-top-gtld-tops-a-million-as-china-goes-domain-
nuts>
http://domainincite.com/19782-top-gtld-tops-a-million-as-china-goes-domain-n
uts>

**********************

NEW TLDS

**********************

Kinderis calls on industry to cut the bullshit

Domain Name Association chair Adrian Kinderis has called for the industry to
?grow up?.

<
<http://domainincite.com/19772-kinderis-calls-on-industry-to-cut-the-bullshi
t>
http://domainincite.com/19772-kinderis-calls-on-industry-to-cut-the-bullshit

Domain name expert shares tips on new TLDs

Businesses now have a new way of standing out from the crowd and being
identified faster online, thanks to the release of new TLD names in late
2013.

<
<http://www.live.melbourne/media-release/domain-name-expert-shares-tips-on-n
ew-tlds/>
http://www.live.melbourne/media-release/domain-name-expert-shares-tips-on-ne
w-tlds/>

Building a Strong, Sustainable Domain Name Industry - With Integrity by
Adrian Kinderis

This week, I had the privilege of presenting at NamesCon on behalf of the
Domain Name Association (DNA) -- in my position as Chair of the Board -- to
provide an update on our activities and an assessment of our progress as an
industry in light of the goals of the DNA. In summary, there is still a long
way to go with many challenges to address. Despite this, there is much to be
excited about and incredible opportunity for our combined success. Included
here is a transcript of my speech. I welcome feedback and comments.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160115_building_a_strong_sustainable_domain
_name_industry_with_integrity/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160115_building_a_strong_sustainable_domain_
name_industry_with_integrity/>

The Evolution of New gTLDs

Over the past two years, there have been a lot of new gTLDs coming out. You
see these as .names, .co, .party and thousands of others. Ever since
starting a hosting company, I've had countless customers ask about this and
why there are so many new and interesting new domains on the market. I
decided I would let small business owners and entrepreneurs know what is
going on in the world of domains.

< <http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/269555>
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/269555>

Barclays Banks on Not-Coms

As we approach the two-year anniversary of not-com availability, the signs
of widespread new gTLD adoption continue to become more visible. New gTLD
registrations recently surged past 10 million and each week more and more
big brands are embracing not-com naming options.

< <http://www.donuts.domains/donuts-media/blog/barclays-banks-on-not-coms>
http://www.donuts.domains/donuts-media/blog/barclays-banks-on-not-coms>

**********************

DNS SECURITY

**********************

DNS co-founder discusses need for a more secure DNS

Thirty years after creating the Internet's domain name system, co-creator
Paul Mockapetris talks about addressing Internet challenges with a more
secure DNS.

<
<http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/feature/DNS-co-founder-discusses-nee
d-for-a-more-secure-DNS>
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/feature/DNS-co-founder-discusses-need
-for-a-more-secure-DNS>

Hunting a Zero-Day: How Kaspersky Lab Discovered a Dangerous Vulnerability
in a Web Technology using Curiosity, Public Information and Unique
Protection Technologies

Kaspersky Lab has discovered a zero-day vulnerability in Silverlight, a web
technology used to display multimedia content. The vulnerability would allow
an attacker to gain full access to a compromised computer and execute
malicious code to steal secret information and perform other illegal
actions. The vulnerability (CVE-2016-0034) was fixed in the latest Patch
Tuesday update issued by Microsoft on January 12, 2016. The discovery was
the result of an investigation that started over five months ago from an
article published by Ars Technica.

< <http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2016/Hunting-a-Zero-Day>
http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2016/Hunting-a-Zero-Day>

**********************

DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Registry Suspends Pirate Bay?s ?New? .MS Domain Name

Domain name troubles continue for The Pirate Bay this week. Just a few days
after the site switched on its new .ms domain name, it's already been
suspended by the Montserratian .MS registry. The torrent site now has to
look out for new alternatives to keep the hydra going.

<
<https://torrentfreak.com/registry-suspends-pirate-bays-new-ms-domain-name-1
60114/>
https://torrentfreak.com/registry-suspends-pirate-bays-new-ms-domain-name-16
0114/>

At the Start of a New Year, A Look at Domain Name Dispute Trends from 2015

With all the confetti, balloons, and tacky 2016 sunglasses becoming a fading
memory, I?d like to talk about what 2015 has meant for domain name disputes
in new gTLDs.

<
<http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/udrp-and-urs/domain-name-disputes-in-2015

http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/udrp-and-urs/domain-name-disputes-in-2015>

ca: B.C. mayor appalled porn site wants $9,700 for local chamber of commerce
domain name

Demand is ?extortion,? says Virginia Smith, mayor of Barriere, B.C., where
the Chamber of Commerce inadvertently let its web address expire. Now the
porn site that grabbed it wants the bucks to take it down.

<
<http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/15/bc-mayor-appalled-porn-site-w
ants-9700-for-local-chamber-of-commerce-domain-name.html>
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/15/bc-mayor-appalled-porn-site-wa
nts-9700-for-local-chamber-of-commerce-domain-name.html>

ca: Mayor of small B.C. town says website hijacked by porn site [Canadian
Press]

The mayor of a British Columbia town says she's appalled that a pornography
website acquired the Internet domain name for the local chamber of commerce.

<
<http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mayor-of-small-b-c-town-says-website-hijacked-by-porn-
site-1.2738849>
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mayor-of-small-b-c-town-says-website-hijacked-by-porn-s
ite-1.2738849>

**********************

REGISTRAR NEWS

**********************

is: DNS Hosting Problems with Bluehost

Once again all .is domains delegated to DNS service with Bluehost are in
trouble. One of the two authoratitive nameservers that Bluehost uses to host
.is domains does not reply to queries regarding any of them and in fact
appears to be completely disconnected from the network. This nameserver has
now been disconnected for three weeks.

< <http://www.isnic.is/en/news/index.php>
http://www.isnic.is/en/news/index.php>

GoDaddy Appoints Steven Aldrich As Chief Product Officer

GoDaddy Inc. ... announced it has appointed Steven Aldrich as Chief Product
Officer.

<
<http://aboutus.godaddy.net/newsroom/news-releases/news-releases-details/201
6/GoDaddy-Appoints-Steven-Aldrich-As-Chief-Product-Officer/default.aspx>
http://aboutus.godaddy.net/newsroom/news-releases/news-releases-details/2016
/GoDaddy-Appoints-Steven-Aldrich-As-Chief-Product-Officer/default.aspx>

Save on any .ROCKS and .SOCIAL domain until March

It?s time to save on domain names! Until March 31, .SOCIAL and .ROCKS domain
names are 50% off! .ROCKS domains are only USD $4.00 and .SOCIAL domains are
USD $20.00!

< <http://blog.webnames.ca/save-on-any-rocks-and-social-domain-until-march/>
http://blog.webnames.ca/save-on-any-rocks-and-social-domain-until-march/>

**********************

IPv4/IPv6

**********************

The Promise of Connectivity at CES Means Nothing Without IPv6 by Jeff
Urbanchuk

For a few years now, we have been promised a bright future where connected
devices all communicate with each other on the Internet of Things. If this
year's CES was any indication, the consumer technology industry is just
about ready to deliver on that promise with a flood of new devices and
products that will transform the way we interact with technology on a
fundamental level.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150115_the_promise_of_connectivity_at_ces_m
eans_nothing_without_ipv6/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150115_the_promise_of_connectivity_at_ces_me
ans_nothing_without_ipv6/>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

Hashtags and domain names: What you should include when promoting on social
media

Most small business owners know by now that social media can be a powerful
and cost effective marketing tool. However, what most people don?t realise
is that using the right domain name and hashtags in your social media posts
can be critical for achieving success.

<
<http://iconic.sydney/media-release/hashtags-and-domain-names-what-you-shoul
d-include-when-promoting-on-social-media/>
http://iconic.sydney/media-release/hashtags-and-domain-names-what-you-should
-include-when-promoting-on-social-media/>

Weekend Reading: Understanding the Difference Between Domain Names Vs.
Trademarks

Are you interested in starting a business? If so, it?s likely a website
where customers and clients can either purchase the goods you provide or
hire you for the services you offer is on the horizon.

<
<http://thesource.com/2016/01/15/understanding-the-difference-domain-names-v
s-trademarks/>
http://thesource.com/2016/01/15/understanding-the-difference-domain-names-vs
-trademarks/>

Google Core Update 2016: Analysis of Winners and Losers

The new year has begun with a confirmed Google update. However, what was
initially believed to be either a change to Panda or Penguin is in fact a
core ranking algorithm update. Here, we take a look at the fresh data from
the Searchmetrics Suite.

< <http://blog.searchmetrics.com/us/2016/01/13/google-core-update/>
http://blog.searchmetrics.com/us/2016/01/13/google-core-update/>

Welcome to the Decentralized Future: Matt Barrie NamesCon 2016 Keynote

Matt Barrie, CEO of Freelancer.com and Escrow.com, has walked a successful
entrepreneurial path from hardware to software. Escrow.com, which
Freelancer.com acquired in November 2015, has processed over $2 billion in
transactions. Barrie took the main stage to deliver the final keynote of
NamesCon 2016 to share some of what his teams have learned about this
industry over the years.

<
<http://namescon.com/welcome-to-the-decentralized-future-matt-barrie-namesco
n-2016-keynote/>
http://namescon.com/welcome-to-the-decentralized-future-matt-barrie-namescon
-2016-keynote/>

Pat Kane NamesCon 2016 Keynote: .com is Very Much Alive

Pat Kane, Senior Vice President of Naming and Directory Services at
Verisign, is responsible for the policy and operational management of all
TLDs operated by Verisign, including .com and .net, as well as the
development of additional tools and services created to support Verisign?s
channel partners. No pressure, right? Kane took the main stage at NamesCon
2016 to deliver a keynote talk that NamesCon co-founder Jothan Frakes
described as ?stats porn?.

<
<http://namescon.com/pat-kane-namescon-2016-keynote-com-is-very-much-alive/>
http://namescon.com/pat-kane-namescon-2016-keynote-com-is-very-much-alive/>

GoDaddy Keynote at NamesCon 2016: Unveiling New Tools for Investors

Mike McLaughlin, Senior VP of Domains for GoDaddy, manages the team that
helps GoDaddy?s customers define themselves online. He took the stage on
what happens to be his three-year anniversary at GoDaddy. The GoDaddy
aftermarket gathers tons of data, he said, that can be brought back to the
investor community: ?We only succeed if the investors succeed.?

<
<http://namescon.com/godaddy-keynote-at-namescon-2016-unveiling-new-tools-fo
r-investors/>
http://namescon.com/godaddy-keynote-at-namescon-2016-unveiling-new-tools-for
-investors/>

Paul McGrady Keynote at NamesCon 2016: Person to Person

Paul McGrady, a partner at Winston and Strawn and chair of the firms
trademark, domain names, and brand enforcement,?literally wrote the law
book? on domaining, said NamesCon co-founder Jothan Frakes. McGrady took the
main stage at NamesCon 2016 to quickly talk about how the industry is
reshaping itself.

<
<http://namescon.com/paul-mcgrady-keynote-at-namescon-2016-person-to-person/

http://namescon.com/paul-mcgrady-keynote-at-namescon-2016-person-to-person/>

>From Robots to Registries: A Fireside Chat With Paul Stahura at NamesCon
2016

Paul Stahura, Co-Founder and CEO of Donuts Inc, got into the names game in
1997, starting eNom in his garage. From that humble beginning, Stahura grew
eNom to an $80 million company. He?s been an influential ICANN and industry
mainstay ever since, and is a go-to expert at the federal government level,
and co-founded Donuts in 2010. Stahura sat down with Ron Jackson, Editor of
DNJournal.com (and experienced Stahura documentarian) for a fireside chat in
the NamesCon 2016 Keynote Hall.

<
<http://namescon.com/from-robots-to-registries-a-fireside-chat-with-paul-sta
hura-at-namescon-2016/>
http://namescon.com/from-robots-to-registries-a-fireside-chat-with-paul-stah
ura-at-namescon-2016/>

A Force for Good in the Universe: NamesCon 2016 Keynote from Brian Cute

Public Interest Registry (PIR) operates .org, as well as providing .ngo and
.ong to NGO groups. PIR deals with internet policy, education and security
issues. Brian Cute, CEO and President of Public Interest Registry, took the
NamesCon 2016 main stage to talk about the legacy of .org and the future of
nTLDs.

<
<http://namescon.com/a-force-for-good-in-the-universe-namescon-2016-keynote-
from-brian-cute/>
http://namescon.com/a-force-for-good-in-the-universe-namescon-2016-keynote-f
rom-brian-cute/>

First Look: New Uniregistry Market at NamesCon 2016

NamesCon 2016 attendees got the first in-depth look at the brand-new
Uniregistry Market, which was launched during Uniregistry CEO Frank
Schilling?s keynote yesterday.

< <http://namescon.com/first-look-new-uniregistry-market-at-namescon-2016/>
http://namescon.com/first-look-new-uniregistry-market-at-namescon-2016/>

Defeating the Disconnect: Marc Trachtenberg Keynote at NamesCon 2016

?There?s a huge disconnect between the domain name industry and its
customers,? said Marc Trachtenberg, shareholder at Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Trachtenberg points his legal practice at domain name, Internet, e-commerce,
social media, marketing, advertising, promotions, trademark, copyright and
privacy matters. He spoke at NamesCon 2016 on how registries and registrars
can connect with brands.

<
<http://namescon.com/defeating-the-disconnect-marc-trachtenberg-keynote-at-n
amescon-2016/>
http://namescon.com/defeating-the-disconnect-marc-trachtenberg-keynote-at-na
mescon-2016/>

NamesCon 2016: Fireside Chat with Akram Atallah and Derek Newman

?All in, all the time,? said Colin Campbell, CEO of .CLUB, of Akram Atallah,
President of ICANN?s Global Domains Division (GDD) . Derek Newman,
domain-name lawyer at Newman Du Wors, sat down with Atalla for a quick chat
on the NamesCon 2016 main stage.

<
<http://namescon.com/namescon-2016-fireside-chat-with-akram-atallah-and-dere
k-newman/>
http://namescon.com/namescon-2016-fireside-chat-with-akram-atallah-and-derek
-newman/>

NamesCon 2016 Keynote: Elliot Noss and the Future of the Internet

Elliot Noss, President and CEO of Tucows Inc., said, ?I?m sorry if this is a
little heavy for just after lunch.? In his NamesCon 2016 keynote, Noss
discussed the seismic shifts in technology that will potentially change how
we experience the Internet as users and businesspeople.

<
<http://namescon.com/namescon-2016-keynote-elliot-noss-and-the-future-of-the
-internet/>
http://namescon.com/namescon-2016-keynote-elliot-noss-and-the-future-of-the-
internet/>

Solomon Amoako NamesCon 2016 Keynote: Huge Opportunities Await

Solomon Amoako, Chief Sales Officer at Sedo.com, was thrilled to address so
many familiar faces in the crowd for his NamesCon 2016 keynote: ?It?s a
testament to what we are and what we stand for as an organization.?

<
<http://namescon.com/solomon-amoako-namescon-2016-keynote-huge-opportunities
-await/>
http://namescon.com/solomon-amoako-namescon-2016-keynote-huge-opportunities-
await/>

NamesCon 2016: Frank Schilling Keynote

NamesCon 2016?s first major keynote comes from none other than Frank
Schilling, CEO of Uniregistry and co-founder of the Internet Commerce
Association.

< <http://namescon.com/namescon-2016-frank-schilling-keynote/>
http://namescon.com/namescon-2016-frank-schilling-keynote/>

NamesCon 2016: The TLD Strategies of Top Brands

Event co-founder Jothan Frakes welcomed everyone to NamesCon 2016 at the
Tropicana Hotel in Las Vegas on this sunny Monday morning. ?We keep setting
records as far as people coming,? he said, and wasted no time in introducing
the first main-stage panel of the conference: Top Brands and their TLD
Strategies.

< <http://namescon.com/namescon-2016-the-tld-strategies-of-top-brands/>
http://namescon.com/namescon-2016-the-tld-strategies-of-top-brands/>

Domain Aftermarket 101: Back to Basics at NamesCon 2016

?We?ve got less than half the world?s population online right now, so in a
sense the party hasn?t even started yet,? said Angie Graves, consultant with
WEB Group, Inc., in moderating the panel on getting into the domain
aftermarket. ?Some people do this just for fun, and some do it for money and
have made quite a bit.?

<
<http://namescon.com/domain-aftermarket-101-back-to-basics-at-namescon-2016/

http://namescon.com/domain-aftermarket-101-back-to-basics-at-namescon-2016/>

Lock it Down: Exploring Domain Security at NamesCon 2016

So you?ve registered a domain name
 congratulations. Now you need to secure
it. In an intimate session at NamesCon 2016, an esteemed group of industry
experts helped newcomers to the Domain Names Industry come to grips with
this necessary step in the process, while giving seasoned pros a refresher.

<
<http://namescon.com/lock-it-down-exploring-domain-security-at-namescon-2016
/>
http://namescon.com/lock-it-down-exploring-domain-security-at-namescon-2016/

Local Flavor: NamesCon 2016 Discussion of GeoDomains and CityTLDs

Namescon 2016 kicks off on a sunny Las Vegas morning. NamesCon co-founder
Jothan Frakes welcomed the crowd: ?This very first day is for people who
want to learn a whole lot more about the industry.? Over 1,200 people have
registered for this, the third edition of NamesCon: old-school pros and
newcomers alike, Frakes noted, ?A lot of new faces have come into the
industry.?

<
<http://namescon.com/local-flavor-namescon-2016-discussion-of-geodomains-and
-citytlds/>
http://namescon.com/local-flavor-namescon-2016-discussion-of-geodomains-and-
citytlds/>

**********************

DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

What?s that domain worth?

Few business owners realise it, but the right web address can easily become
a tangible asset which can add value when it comes time to sell their
business, as well as driving customers ? keen to buy locally ? to their
website and to their door during their ownership.

< <http://www.live.melbourne/media-release/whats-that-domain-worth/>
http://www.live.melbourne/media-release/whats-that-domain-worth/>

Namescon auction shows growing new gTLD interest

If the auction held during the Namescon conference is anything to go by,
domain investors are warming up to the opportunities offered by new gTLDs.

<
<http://post.milathan.com/2016/01/namescon-auction-shows-growing-new-gtld-in
terest/>
http://post.milathan.com/2016/01/namescon-auction-shows-growing-new-gtld-int
erest/>

Strong December Sales Cap Off Record Quarter: $2,842,367.27 in Total 2015
Premium Name Sales

Coming off of the record month of November, in December .CLUB registrations
and premium name sales continued to be very strong, closing out the year far
ahead of our internal projections.

<
<http://nic.club/strong-december-sales-cap-off-record-quarter-2842367-27-in-
total-2015-premium-name-sales/>
http://nic.club/strong-december-sales-cap-off-record-quarter-2842367-27-in-t
otal-2015-premium-name-sales/>

.Club sold $2.35 million in premium domain names last quarter

The Chinese domain name registration boom gave .Club a huge lift in Q4, with
the registry selling $2.35 million of premium domain names.

<
<http://domainnamewire.com/2016/01/14/club-sold-2-35-million-in-premium-doma
in-names-last-quarter/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2016/01/14/club-sold-2-35-million-in-premium-domai
n-names-last-quarter/>

Why you shouldn?t go bananas over Banana.com domain name ?sale?

Last month there was a bit of a stir in the domain name industry about the
Chinese buying one word English domain names for huge sums.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2016/01/15/banana-com/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2016/01/15/banana-com/>

2-Character .Com Leads This Week's Sales Chart After 6-Figure Sale - Quartet
of 3-Letter .Coms Close Behind

We have started seeing a little more variety on our weekly all extension Top
20 Sales Chart but the upper rungs of the ladder are still dominated by
ultra short .com domains. The headliner this week was Sedo's $130,000 sale
of V5.com. Four of the next six spots on the elite list went to 3-letter
.coms.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20151230.htm>
http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20151230.htm>

**********************

NEW TECHNOLOGIES

**********************

The Internet Trends for 2016

Smart, Mobility, New Work and Entertainment are the trend topics in 2016,
according to eco ? Association of the Internet Industry. ?The Internet
industry has grown from a small niche market into a major impulse generator
for innovation and growth. There are hardly any businesses, in any sector,
that can function without the Internet today. The network of networks is now
metamorphosing into a master of all things?, says eco CEO Harald A. Summa.

< <https://international.eco.de/2016/news/internet-trends-for-2016.html>
https://international.eco.de/2016/news/internet-trends-for-2016.html>

**********************

ONLINE TV, MUSIC & PIRACY

**********************

Netflix Announces Crackdown on VPN and Proxy Pirates

For those utilizing VPNs, proxies and unblocking tools to access
geo-restricted content on Netflix, the party may soon be over. According to
an announcement by the company's Vice President of Content Delivery
Architecture, people using such services will face new roadblocks in the
coming weeks.

<
<https://torrentfreak.com/netflix-announces-crackdown-on-vpn-and-proxy-pirat
es-160114/>
https://torrentfreak.com/netflix-announces-crackdown-on-vpn-and-proxy-pirate
s-160114/>

**************************

GOVERNMENT & POLICY

**************************

au: Data Retention Grants Program open to industry

The Australian Government has announced the opening of a grants program to
provide up to $128.4 million to assist the telecommunications industry with
the upfront costs of meeting their data retention obligations.

<
<https://www.attorneygeneral.gov.au/Mediareleases/Pages/2016/FirstQuarter/7-
January-2016-Data-Retention-Grants-Program-open-to-industry.aspx>
https://www.attorneygeneral.gov.au/Mediareleases/Pages/2016/FirstQuarter/7-J
anuary-2016-Data-Retention-Grants-Program-open-to-industry.aspx>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

Game that rewards players for killing Indigenous Australians pulled from app
stores

A mobile game that purportedly rewarded players for bludgeoning Indigenous
Australians to death has been removed from both Apple and Google app stores
following public outcry.

<
<http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/16/game-rewarding-player
s-for-killing-indigenous-australians-prompts-outrage>
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/16/game-rewarding-players
-for-killing-indigenous-australians-prompts-outrage>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport>
https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time
you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery