[DNS] auDA domain news - 27 June

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 13:40:02 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

One Internet: Final Report of the Global Commission on Internet Governance

< <https://www.cigionline.org/publications/one-internet>
https://www.cigionline.org/publications/one-internet>

ICANN-commissioned Study Finds Increased Awareness and Trust in Domain Name
System

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2016-06-23-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2016-06-23-en>

au: The day in politics: Credlin says Abbott has caused not one scintilla of
grief this campaign - as it happened

<
<https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2016/jun/23/australian-elec
tion-2016-abbott-tells-bolt-hes-content-where-he-is-politics-live>
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2016/jun/23/australian-elect
ion-2016-abbott-tells-bolt-hes-content-where-he-is-politics-live>

How do the ANZIAs reflect auDA's stakeholder engagement commitment?

<
<https://www.auda.org.au/blog/how-do-the-anzias-reflect-audas-stakeholder-en
gagement-commitment/>
https://www.auda.org.au/blog/how-do-the-anzias-reflect-audas-stakeholder-eng
agement-commitment/>

Norway bans the Dutch from using dormant .bv

<
<http://domainincite.com/20674-norway-bans-the-dutch-from-using-dormant-bv>
http://domainincite.com/20674-norway-bans-the-dutch-from-using-dormant-bv>

eu: Outcome of the UK referendum

< <https://eurid.eu/en/news/outcome-of-the-uk-referendum/>
https://eurid.eu/en/news/outcome-of-the-uk-referendum/>

Putting the Word Home in Front of Your DotBrand Is Not a Strategy by
Jennifer Wolfe

< <http://dotbrand360.agency/putting-word-home-front-dotbrand-not-strategy/>
http://dotbrand360.agency/putting-word-home-front-dotbrand-not-strategy/>

Assessing Current Generic New gTLDs by Jean Guillon

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160624_assessing_current_generic_new_gtlds/

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160624_assessing_current_generic_new_gtlds/>

Donuts Seeks to Acquire Entirety of Rightside Group, Ltd.'s gTLD Registry

<
<http://www.donuts.domains/donuts-media/press-releases/donuts-seeks-to-acqui
re-entirety-of-rightside-group>
http://www.donuts.domains/donuts-media/press-releases/donuts-seeks-to-acquir
e-entirety-of-rightside-group>

'Forget keywords. Focus on the quality of your content.'

<
<https://www.sidn.nl/a/knowledge-and-development/forget-keywords-focus-on-th
e-quality-of-your-content>
https://www.sidn.nl/a/knowledge-and-development/forget-keywords-focus-on-the
-quality-of-your-content>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

One Internet: Final Report of the Global Commission on Internet Governance

Half of the world's population now uses the Internet to connect, communicate
and interact. But basic access to the Internet is under threat, the
technology that underpins it is increasingly unstable and a growing number
of people don't trust it to be secure. The Global Commission on Internet
Governance provides recommendations and practical advice on the future of
the Internet. Its primary objective is the creation of "One Internet" that
is protected, accessible to all and trusted by everyone. In its final
report, the Commission puts forward key steps that everyone needs to take to
achieve an open, secure, trustworthy and inclusive Internet.

< <https://www.cigionline.org/publications/one-internet>
https://www.cigionline.org/publications/one-internet>

OECD Ministerial Declaration on the Digital Economy: Innovation, Growth and
Social Prosperity

Ministers and high-level representatives from 41 countries and the European
Union committed today at the closure of the OECD's 2016 Digital Economy
Ministerial Meeting in Cancun, Mexico, to work together to preserve an open
Internet, close digital divides, promote digital skills and generally do
more to seize the potential of the digital economy.

<
<http://www.oecd.org/internet/oecd-digital-economy-ministerial-declaration.h
tm>
http://www.oecd.org/internet/oecd-digital-economy-ministerial-declaration.ht
m>

An Internet for everyone: Will our online future be one of freedom, or fear?
by Carl Bildt

The Internet has rapidly become the most important infrastructure in the
world. We are now, however, rapidly witnessing how it is becoming the
infrastructure of all other infrastructures as well.

< <https://ipolitics.ca/2016/06/26/an-internet-for-everyone/>
https://ipolitics.ca/2016/06/26/an-internet-for-everyone/>

Working Together

In my experience it is important that we talk to each other, all of us, the
techies, the operators, the economists, and the policy people. We live in a
connected world that is developing very rapidly, and none of us have a full
picture of everything. It benefits us to share our views and increase our
understanding. ... My third example is the discussion of Internet's
administrative mechanisms, namely the IANA stewardship transition project.
When I first thought about IANA, my views were very focused on just one
small part of it, the protocol parameter registries. But the overall
community had a much broader perspective. I'm happy we decided to deal with
the bigger picture, and very happy with wide-spread support and interest for
this in the world. The transition would not be possible without it.

< <https://www.ietf.org/blog/2016/06/working-together/>
https://www.ietf.org/blog/2016/06/working-together/>

Open Season by Geoff Huston

It seems that it's the season to consider "openess" in Internet Governance
circles. The OECD has recently stated that: "the level of Internet openness
will also affect the digital economy's potential." And according to the
Global Commission on Internet Governance "One Internet" report, an open and
accessible Internet should generate several trillions of dollars a year in
economic benefits. A fragmented Internet on the other hand would weigh on
investment, trade and GDP, as well as on the right to free expression and
access to knowledge." It seems that the stakes are high when we consider
Internet Openness. How well are we doing?

< <http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2016-06/openseason.html>
http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2016-06/openseason.html>

Ted Cruz Now Using Video To Mislead Public On IANA Transition

Senator Ted Cruz really has it in for ICANN, the current US president and
the rest of the internet .. Oh and by the way, he also seems to think that
the US owns the internet.

<
<http://www.internetnews.me/2016/06/25/ted-cruz-now-using-video-mislead-publ
ic-iana-transition/>
http://www.internetnews.me/2016/06/25/ted-cruz-now-using-video-mislead-publi
c-iana-transition/>

Cruz: Obama admin relinquishing oversight of Internet may violate federal
law

Back in 2014, the Obama administration announced its plan to "give up its
last remaining authority over the technical management of the internet" by
giving "ICANN ... control over the database of names and addresses that
allows computers around the world to connect to each other."

<
<http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/06/cruz-obama-admin-relinquishing-oversig
ht-of-internet-may-violate-federal-law/>
http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/06/cruz-obama-admin-relinquishing-oversigh
t-of-internet-may-violate-federal-law/>

Letters: Icann and the Overrepresentation of the U.S.

L. Gordon Crovitz claims that the 2015 net-neutrality protections passed by
the FCC and upheld in court last week "stifle the internet and discourage
investing in broadband" ("A Shadow Falls Over Silicon Valley," Information
Age, June 20). Mr. Crovitz cites telecom-industry economist Hal Singer to
support this notion.

<
<http://www.wsj.com/articles/icann-and-the-overrepresentation-of-the-u-s-146
6966776>
http://www.wsj.com/articles/icann-and-the-overrepresentation-of-the-u-s-1466
966776>

**********************

ICANN

**********************

ICANN-commissioned Study Finds Increased Awareness and Trust in Domain Name
System

ICANN today published the findings from its Phase 2 Global Consumer Research
Survey. Conducted by Nielsen, the study measured current consumer attitudes
toward the gTLD landscape and DNS, as well as changes in consumer attitudes
from the first wave study in 2015. Internet users were asked about aspects
of consumer awareness, consumer choice, experience and trust.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2016-06-23-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2016-06-23-en>

Milestone: The Number of At-Large Structures Reach 200

Today, we celebrate an exciting milestone in the history of the At-Large
Community - the At-Large Advisory Committee has accredited the 200th
organization as an At-Large Structure.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2016-06-23-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2016-06-23-en>

Launching Work Stream 2 in Helsinki by CCWG-Accountability co-Chairs

It has been a momentous month for the ICANN community. On behalf of the
Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability, we welcome
the U.S. Government report that our recommendations meet their requirements.
We are actively engaged in the prep work needed for a timely implementation
of these new accountability mechanisms into ICANN's ecosystem.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/launching-work-stream-2-in-helsinki>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/launching-work-stream-2-in-helsinki>

The Chairman's Blog: The ICANN Ombudsman by Steve Crocker

The role of the ICANN Ombudsman is a critical part of our accountability. It
has been the subject of significant discussion throughout the community's
Enhancing ICANN Accountability process, and is currently being examined in
Work Stream 2 of the CCWG-Accountability.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/the-chairman-s-blog-the-icann-ombudsman>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/the-chairman-s-blog-the-icann-ombudsman>

Launching Work Stream 2 in Helsinki by CCWG-Accountability co-Chairs

It has been a momentous month for the ICANN community. On behalf of the
Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability, we welcome
the U.S. Government report that our recommendations meet their requirements.
We are actively engaged in the prep work needed for a timely implementation
of these new accountability mechanisms into ICANN's ecosystem.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/launching-work-stream-2-in-helsinki>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/launching-work-stream-2-in-helsinki>

10 Things to Do in Helsinki by Kimberly Enger

With a backdrop of more than 300 islands, Helsinki's setting on the Baltic
Sea is unique. While you're at ICANN56, make time to explore the sights of
Helsinki. Appreciate its natural beauty while you take in its architectural,
historical and cultural offerings.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/10-things-to-do-in-helsinki>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/10-things-to-do-in-helsinki>

CENTR publishes its Guide to ICANN56 Helsinki

The meeting in Helsinki will be the first one held within the structure of
the new meeting format (B meeting or "Policy Forum"). The goal is to
encourage more discussion and collaboration between the different
stakeholder groups and break down the walls between the communities. This is
supposed to be a "short" meeting with a focus on cross community working
groups and policy development.

<
<https://centr.org/news/news/centr-publishes-its-guide-to-icann56-helsinki.h
tml>
https://centr.org/news/news/centr-publishes-its-guide-to-icann56-helsinki.ht
ml>

**********************

ccTLDs & gTLDs

**********************

au: The day in politics: Credlin says Abbott has caused not one scintilla of
grief this campaign - as it happened

... Over on my Facebook forum reader Nick Storr has chimed in on the subject
of the Nationals registering Rob Oakeshott's domain name - the development
my colleague Amanda Meade brought to our attention a couple of posts back.
Take it away Nick Storr: Just skimming the liveblog and noticed your post
about the Nats registering roboakeshott.com.au. IIRC that's against the
rules set out by the regulatory body for .au domains, which state: "2.
Domain names in the com.au 2LD must be:

<
<https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2016/jun/23/australian-elec
tion-2016-abbott-tells-bolt-hes-content-where-he-is-politics-live>
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2016/jun/23/australian-elect
ion-2016-abbott-tells-bolt-hes-content-where-he-is-politics-live>

How do the ANZIAs reflect auDA's stakeholder engagement commitment?

The Australia & New Zealand Internet Awards are an important part of auDA's
broader commitment to community programs.

<
<https://www.auda.org.au/blog/how-do-the-anzias-reflect-audas-stakeholder-en
gagement-commitment/>
https://www.auda.org.au/blog/how-do-the-anzias-reflect-audas-stakeholder-eng
agement-commitment/>

Plans to utilize .bv shelved

Norid has collaborated with Dutch SIDN to utilize the TLD .bv on the Dutch
market. Norid and SIDN have now agreed to end the negotiations.

< <https://www.norid.no/en/nytt/plans-to-utilize-bv-shelved/>
https://www.norid.no/en/nytt/plans-to-utilize-bv-shelved/>

SIDN will not be issuing .bv domain names

The .bv TLD will not be marketed in the Netherlands as planned by SIDN (the
company behind .nl) and Norid (the Norwegian registry responsible for .no).
Norway's government this week decided against giving the dispensation
required for the registries' plan to go ahead.

<
<https://www.sidn.nl/a/about-sidn/sidn-will-not-be-issuing-bv-domain-names>
https://www.sidn.nl/a/about-sidn/sidn-will-not-be-issuing-bv-domain-names>

Norway bans the Dutch from using dormant .bv

The Norwegian government has intervened to prevent a deal that would have
allowed the sale of .bv domain names in the Netherlands.

<
<http://domainincite.com/20674-norway-bans-the-dutch-from-using-dormant-bv>
http://domainincite.com/20674-norway-bans-the-dutch-from-using-dormant-bv>

eu: Outcome of the UK referendum

On 23 June 2016 voters in the UK referendum expressed their preference to
leave the European Union. As the next steps have still not been determined
and the political and legal processes have not yet been initiated, note that
no action will be taken against .eu or .?? domain names that have been
registered by residents in UK.

< <https://eurid.eu/en/news/outcome-of-the-uk-referendum/>
https://eurid.eu/en/news/outcome-of-the-uk-referendum/>

What Happens Now For Brits With .EU Domains? For Now, Nothing.

Well, in short, for the time being, nothing. Following the referendum today
where Britons voted to leave the European Union, EURid has released a
statement saying that "as the next steps have still not been determined and
the political and legal processes have not yet been initiated, note that no
action will be taken against .eu or .?? domain names that have been
registered by residents in UK."

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2016/06/24/brits-with-eu-domains/>
http://www.domainpulse.com/2016/06/24/brits-with-eu-domains/>

With or Without EU

In the next 24 hours the population of the United Kingdom will find out
whether the consensus is to stay in or leave the European Union. Modern day
politics has left most of the citizens of the country apathetic in terms of
their political views. The fact that we essentially have three main
political parties that have all tried to travel down the middle of the road
for the past twenty years says a lot about the notion that's it's about
people not policies, individuals not issues and media exposure rather than
manifesto promises.

< <http://www.linkedin.com/pulse/without-eu-stuart-fuller>
http://www.linkedin.com/pulse/without-eu-stuart-fuller>

Transition schedule towards the new fi-domain name system

Newsletter 4/2016 contains a precise schedule for moving to the new
fi-domain name system. The current domain name system and all related user
IDs will cease to exist on Friday, 2 September at 16.15.

< <https://domain.fi/info/en/index/tietoa/ajankohtaista/2016/P_11.html>
https://domain.fi/info/en/index/tietoa/ajankohtaista/2016/P_11.html>

Kenya cuts cost of acquiring .ke domain by a third

Kenya has cut by a third the cost of acquiring the .ke domain and plans to
make it compulsory for new companies seeking registration to have a website
as part of efforts to get at least half of local enterprises on the
country's domain name.

<
<http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Kenya-cuts-cost-of-acquiring--ke-domain-
by-a-third/-/1248928/3262242/-/sstb8ez/-/index.html>
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Kenya-cuts-cost-of-acquiring--ke-domain-b
y-a-third/-/1248928/3262242/-/sstb8ez/-/index.html>

New domain .ltd opens to public as brands warned of cybersquatters

The new .ltd domain is now available to the public, meaning that brands are
now vulnerable to cybersquatters, according to a new report.

<
<http://www.digitalstrategyconsulting.com/intelligence/2016/06/new_domain_lt
d_opens_to_public_as_brands_warned_of_cybersquatters.php>
http://www.digitalstrategyconsulting.com/intelligence/2016/06/new_domain_ltd
_opens_to_public_as_brands_warned_of_cybersquatters.php>

no: Steady increase of domain names

Norid's domain name counter is about to round 700,000 domain names.
Companies as well as private individuals contribute to the increase.

< <https://www.norid.no/en/nytt/domenenavn-oker-stadig>
https://www.norid.no/en/nytt/domenenavn-oker-stadig>

ru: Internet business owners show interest in domains

The last event of the annual seminar cycle, Site Formula, took place in
Moscow on June 15. The free seminars have been held for the fifth time,
sponsored by 1C-Bitrix with support from Yandex, Mail.ru, and Vkontakte.
>From mid-April, the program was also supported by the Coordination Center
for TLD .RU/.??.

< <https://cctld.ru/en/news/news_detail.php?ID=10233>
https://cctld.ru/en/news/news_detail.php?ID=10233>

SGNIC-Q-16002: Invitation to Quote for a Web Application Penetration Testing
service and an optional post review service

SGNIC is pleased to announce the Invitation To Quote for a Web Application
Penetration Testing service and an optional post review service.

<
<https://www.sgnic.sg/sgnic-q-16002-invitation-to-quote-for-a-web-applicatio
n-penetration-testing-(wapt)-service-and-an-optional-post-review-service.htm
l>
https://www.sgnic.sg/sgnic-q-16002-invitation-to-quote-for-a-web-application
-penetration-testing-(wapt)-service-and-an-optional-post-review-service.html

nTLDStats Launch Report: .STORE

Top 3 e-commerce nTLD registration performance

< <https://infogr.am/5c3b956c-17f5-414b-a9e7-bdfb6649d399>
https://infogr.am/5c3b956c-17f5-414b-a9e7-bdfb6649d399>

**********************

NEW TLDS

**********************

Putting the Word Home in Front of Your DotBrand Is Not a Strategy by
Jennifer Wolfe

Some of the first "use cases" by Dot Brands have simply added Home in front
of their Dot Brand and redirected existing home page content or replicated
content in other traditional country codes or Dot Com. A few of the more
notable ones include Home.Barclays or Home.Cern, Home.Travelers and
Home.Redumbrella.

< <http://dotbrand360.agency/putting-word-home-front-dotbrand-not-strategy/>
http://dotbrand360.agency/putting-word-home-front-dotbrand-not-strategy/>

Assessing Current Generic New gTLDs by Jean Guillon

If we are already familiar with new gTLDs from the ICANN new gTLD program
are we just as familiar with these new domain name extensions, which are
called "generic" and which could be an alternative to the existing ".com"
domain name extension? Not so many... As the list of new gTLDs is very long,
we can easily say that there is a TLD for any kind of business: a ".club"
for Clubs, a ".news" for News, a ".dentist" for Dentists, a ".actor" for
Actors, etc.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160624_assessing_current_generic_new_gtlds/

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160624_assessing_current_generic_new_gtlds/>

Donuts Seeks to Acquire Entirety of Rightside Group, Ltd.'s gTLD Registry

Donuts Inc., the world's largest operator of new domain name extensions,
today publicly announced its interest in acquiring Rightside Group, Ltd.'s
entire registry of gTLDs and related assets for $70 million in an all-cash
deal.

<
<http://www.donuts.domains/donuts-media/press-releases/donuts-seeks-to-acqui
re-entirety-of-rightside-group>
http://www.donuts.domains/donuts-media/press-releases/donuts-seeks-to-acquir
e-entirety-of-rightside-group>

Rightside Issues Statement to Respond to Donuts Proposal

Rightside ... confirms receipt of an unsolicited, non-binding proposal from
Donuts Inc. to acquire Rightside's entire registry of gTLDs and related
assets for $70 million in an all-cash deal.

< <http://investors.rightside.co/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=977056>
http://investors.rightside.co/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=977056>

Rightside CEO responds to Donuts' $70M portfolio acquisition offer

Bellevue-based internet domain company Donuts on Friday made public an offer
to acquire Kirkland-based Rightside's portfolio of new domain names for $70
million.

<
<http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/techflash/2016/06/exclusive-rightsi
de-ceo-responds-to-donuts-70m.html>
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/techflash/2016/06/exclusive-rightsid
e-ceo-responds-to-donuts-70m.html>

Weekly Launch Guide June 27, 2016

A summary of upcoming TLD launches is included below. For more detailed
information, please visit The Brand Circle or contact a New gTLD specialist.

<
<https://www.cscdigitalbrand.services/blog/weekly-launch-guide-june-2016-cop
y-copy/>
https://www.cscdigitalbrand.services/blog/weekly-launch-guide-june-2016-copy
-copy/>

CNNIC puts IDNs in focus

On June 13 in Beijing, a group led by CNNIC, ICANN and APTLD, including more
than 20 participants representing over ten countries and regions, launched
the Internationalized TLD Initiative. The initiative aims to further
research into and application of Internationalized Domain Names and Email
Address Internationalization worldwide.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2016/06/22/cnnic-puts-idns-focus/>
http://blog.apnic.net/2016/06/22/cnnic-puts-idns-focus/>

**********************

DNS SECURITY

**********************

ICANN 56 in Helsinki - Schedule of DNSSEC Activities by Dan York

The ICANN 56 meeting takes place in Helsinki, Finland, from June 27-30 and
while it is a smaller "policy forum" style of meeting, there will still be
some activities related to DNSSEC, DANE and DNS security in general. DNSSEC
Workshop The DNSSEC Workshop will take place on the morning of Monday, 27
June 2016. All times are Eastern European Summer Time, which is UTC+3.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160624_icann_56_in_helsinki_schedule_of_dns
sec_activities/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160624_icann_56_in_helsinki_schedule_of_dnss
ec_activities/>

Cyber attacks: Do you have a response plan?

In the last two weeks of January 2016 alone, 52 mainstream cyberattacks were
committed against governments, public, and private sector companies around
the world1. That's more than three attacks a day. Experts are warning that
it's no longer if-but when-your company will be targeted. And when it is,
are you prepared? Do you have a response plan in place to recover from, or
even thwart an attack?

<
<https://www.cscdigitalbrand.services/blog/cyber-attacks-do-you-have-a-respo
nse-plan/>
https://www.cscdigitalbrand.services/blog/cyber-attacks-do-you-have-a-respon
se-plan/>

MarkMonitor Partners with CYREN to Deepen Visibility into Global Phishing
Attacks

Today, MarkMonitor ... announced a strategic partnership with CYREN, a
leading provider of cloud-based security solutions. The partnership will
further advance our fraud detection capabilities by improving visibility
into phishing and other malicious attacks on a global scale by incorporating
CYREN technology into the company's anti-fraud services.

< <https://www.markmonitor.com/pressreleases/2016/pr160621.php>
https://www.markmonitor.com/pressreleases/2016/pr160621.php>

Cyberattacks should be included in international humanitarian law

The seriousness of cyberattacks is such that it should be included in
international humanitarian law, a new report from the Global Commission on
Internet Governance has said.

<
<http://www.welivesecurity.com/2016/06/24/cyberattacks-included-internationa
l-humanitarian-law/>
http://www.welivesecurity.com/2016/06/24/cyberattacks-included-international
-humanitarian-law/>

GoDaddy Phishing email going out - Please be careful

We were made aware this morning by a few customers that they are getting
emails claiming to be from GoDaddy that are saying that their valuable
domains sold and that they should unlock them and move them to the buyer
within 5 days.

<
<https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-phishing-email-going-out-please-be
-careful.954641/>
https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-phishing-email-going-out-please-be-
careful.954641/>

Misconfigured email servers open the door to spoofed emails from top domains

Missing SPF records are a common and long-standing security issue that puts
sensitive information at risk. To get a better idea of just how widespread
the problem is, the Detectify team decided to scan the 500 top-ranked Alexa
sites for it. We found that less than half of those domains have configured
email authentication correctly to prevent spoofed emails being sent from
their domains, which means that users are at risk of receiving false emails
appearing to come from domains that they trust.

<
<https://blog.detectify.com/2016/06/20/misconfigured-email-servers-open-the-
door-to-spoofed-emails-from-top-domains/>
https://blog.detectify.com/2016/06/20/misconfigured-email-servers-open-the-d
oor-to-spoofed-emails-from-top-domains/>

Cyber threat intelligence sharing - ascending the pyramid of pain

This is the first of three posts describing CERT Australia's experience in
deploying an automated platform for cyber threat intelligence sharing,
discussing lessons learned and exploring future opportunities.

<
<http://blog.apnic.net/2016/06/23/cert-australias-experience-security-automa
tion-cyber-threat-intelligence-sharing/>
http://blog.apnic.net/2016/06/23/cert-australias-experience-security-automat
ion-cyber-threat-intelligence-sharing/>

Cyber threat intelligence sharing - understanding the technology

This is the second of three posts describing CERT Australia's experience in
deploying an automated platform for cyber threat intelligence sharing,
discussing lessons learned and exploring future opportunities.

<
<http://blog.apnic.net/2016/06/24/cyber-threat-intelligence-sharing-understa
nding-the-technology/>
http://blog.apnic.net/2016/06/24/cyber-threat-intelligence-sharing-understan
ding-the-technology/>

Kaspersky Lab discovers important vulnerability in popular energy equipment

While performing a security assessment for one of its clients in the
critical infrastructure sector, the Kaspersky Lab Security Services team
discovered an important vulnerability. The CVE-2016-4785 vulnerability could
allow an attacker to remotely obtain a limited amount of device memory
content from relay protection equipment.

<
<http://newsroom.kaspersky.eu/en/texts/detail/article/kaspersky-lab-discover
s-important-vulnerability-in-popular-energy-equipment/>
http://newsroom.kaspersky.eu/en/texts/detail/article/kaspersky-lab-discovers
-important-vulnerability-in-popular-energy-equipment/>

Crypto-ransomware attacks rise five-fold to hit 718 thousand users in one
year

The number of users attacked with encryption ransomware is soaring, with
718,536 users hit between April 2015 and March 2016: an increase of 5.5
times compared to the same period in 2014-2015.

<
<http://newsroom.kaspersky.eu/en/texts/detail/article/crypto-ransomware-atta
cks-rise-five-fold-to-hit-718-thousand-users-in-one-year/>
http://newsroom.kaspersky.eu/en/texts/detail/article/crypto-ransomware-attac
ks-rise-five-fold-to-hit-718-thousand-users-in-one-year/>

**********************

DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Lawsuit ensnares innocent domain name investors

A lawsuit related to one of the longest running and most expensive legal
battles in the history of domain names has now ensnared some well-known
domain name investors.

<
<http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/23/lawsuit-ensnares-innocent-domain-inves
tors/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/23/lawsuit-ensnares-innocent-domain-invest
ors/>

Muhammad Ali Enterprises Files 1st UDRP To Gain Control of Domain
TheGreatestAli.com

Muhammad Ali Enterprises has filed its first UDRP to Gain Control of the
domain name TheGreatestAli.com.

<
<http://www.thedomains.com/2016/06/24/muhammad-ali-enterprises-files-1st-udr
p-gain-control-thegreatestali-com/>
http://www.thedomains.com/2016/06/24/muhammad-ali-enterprises-files-1st-udrp
-gain-control-thegreatestali-com/>

Tucows Files Ontario Lawsuit To Halt Transfer Of The Domain Name Hayter.com

Tucows filed an Ontario lawsuit to halt the transfer of the domain name
Hayter.com and to stop the UDRP proceedings.

<
<http://onlinedomain.com/2016/06/23/domain-name-news/tucows-files-ontario-la
wsuit-halt-transfer-domain-name-hayter-com/>
http://onlinedomain.com/2016/06/23/domain-name-news/tucows-files-ontario-law
suit-halt-transfer-domain-name-hayter-com/>

au: Dashing Pty Ltd and Dashing Print Pty Ltd v. Daniel Gundry - Case No.
DAU2016-0019

1. The Parties: The Complainants are Dashing Pty Ltd and Dashing Print Pty
Ltd of New South Wales, Australia represented by Arnotts Technology Lawyers,
Australia. The Respondent is Daniel Gundry of Frankston South, Australia,
represented by Cooper Mills Lawyers, Australia. 2. The Domain Name and
Registrar: The disputed domain name <dashing.com.au> is registered with
Enetica.

< <http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DAU2016-0019>
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DAU2016-0019>

**********************

REGISTRAR & WEBHOSTING

**********************

Consumer Trust In Online Small Businesses Strengthened By Professional Email

GoDaddy ... commissioned a survey to identify the most important factors for
consumers when it comes to trusting online small businesses. The findings
revealed three-quarters of Americans think having a domain-based email that
matches your website is a very important factor when it comes to trusting an
online small business.

<
<https://aboutus.godaddy.net/newsroom/news-releases/news-releases-details/20
16/Consumer-Trust-In-Online-Small-Businesses-Strengthened-By-Professional-Em
ail/default.aspx>
https://aboutus.godaddy.net/newsroom/news-releases/news-releases-details/201
6/Consumer-Trust-In-Online-Small-Businesses-Strengthened-By-Professional-Ema
il/default.aspx>

June 2016 Web Server Survey

In the June 2016 survey we received responses from 1,045,534,808 sites and
5,951,685 web-facing computers. This reflects an increase of 12 million
sites, along with a modest gain of 4,700 computers.

<
<http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2016/06/22/june-2016-web-server-survey.ht
ml>
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2016/06/22/june-2016-web-server-survey.htm
l>

Before you move to a new domain name:

Over the past few months, the Webnames.ca Support team has been getting a
lot of calls and chat messages asking us to change the primary domain of
their current website.

< <http://blog.webnames.ca/moving-to-a-new-domain-name/>
http://blog.webnames.ca/moving-to-a-new-domain-name/>

**********************

IPv4/IPv6

**********************

Reducing the BGP Table Size - A Fairy Tale

The issue of the relative sizes of the IPv4 and IPv6 Internet in BGP came up
during discussion at the APNIC/APRICOT meeting held in Auckland, New Zealand
earlier this year.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2016/06/22/reducing-bgp-table-size-fairy-tale/>
http://blog.apnic.net/2016/06/22/reducing-bgp-table-size-fairy-tale/>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

'Forget keywords. Focus on the quality of your content.'

Martin Scholz is Vice President of Business Development at Searchmetrics,
the German company behind the Searchmetrics Suite: one of the world's
leading search and content performance software platforms. The company
analyses terabytes of data with just one aim: to find out what influences a
site's position in Google's search results to help their clients to be more
successful with their websites. Martin has been talking to us about the
latest trends in this field and the role of the TLD.

<
<https://www.sidn.nl/a/knowledge-and-development/forget-keywords-focus-on-th
e-quality-of-your-content>
https://www.sidn.nl/a/knowledge-and-development/forget-keywords-focus-on-the
-quality-of-your-content>

Internet Pioneer Discusses Creation, Expectations and Security of DNS on its
33rd Birthday

Thirty three years ago today, Paul Mockapetris, inventor of the Internet
Domain Name System, watched the DNS take its first steps. This critical
development would open up what may be the world's most utilized and
important technological development for a mass audience. Did he understand
the importance or impact that DNS would have when it was created?

<
<https://blog.threatstop.com/2016/06/23/internet-pioneer-discusses-creation-
expectations-and-security-of-dns-on-its-33rd-birthday/>
https://blog.threatstop.com/2016/06/23/internet-pioneer-discusses-creation-e
xpectations-and-security-of-dns-on-its-33rd-birthday/>

<
<http://www.threatstop.com/articles/internet-pioneer-discusses-creation-expe
ctations-and-security-dns-its-33rd-birthday>
http://www.threatstop.com/articles/internet-pioneer-discusses-creation-expec
tations-and-security-dns-its-33rd-birthday>

Strengthening the Ties that BIND

I've been a fan of ISC for a long time. Long enough, in fact, that I
remember when it stood for Internet Software Consortium rather than Internet
Systems Consortium, and BIND's version number started with a "4." Followed
by an "8."

<
<https://community.infoblox.com/t5/Company-Blog/Strengthening-the-Ties-that-
BIND/ba-p/6823>
https://community.infoblox.com/t5/Company-Blog/Strengthening-the-Ties-that-B
IND/ba-p/6823>

Interview: Ben Crawford, CentralNic

gTLDs have the stigma of being, well, generic, but the one-size-fits-all
strings offer brand names a chance to bag popular terms long-since taken in
.com, explains Ben Crawford of domain industry registry CentralNic

< <http://ipprotheinternet.com/interviews/interview.php?interview_id=105>
http://ipprotheinternet.com/interviews/interview.php?interview_id=105>

Verisign Named to the Online Trust Alliance's 2016 Honor Roll

Verisign is pleased to announce that we qualified for the Online Trust
Alliance's 2016 Honor Roll for showing a commitment to best practices in
security, privacy and consumer protection. This is the fourth consecutive
year that Verisign has received this honor.

< <http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/verisign_named_to_the_online1>
http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/verisign_named_to_the_online1>

Can data mining help reverse the fortunes of DNS providers?

C-level briefing: The CEO of the UK's largest online registry talks to CBR
on how the industry has been disrupted and a GoDaddy approach could revive
.uk, .co.uk.

<
<http://www.cbronline.com/news/verticals/Others-inc/can-data-mining-help-rev
erse-the-fortunes-of-dns-providers-4931895>
http://www.cbronline.com/news/verticals/Others-inc/can-data-mining-help-reve
rse-the-fortunes-of-dns-providers-4931895>

**********************

DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

Woman who bought PresidentTrump.com for $9 hopes to sell it for $100,000

Most people who support a presidential candidate just get an "I Voted"
sticker for casting a ballot. But one Tampa, Florida, resident has the
potential to make thousands off her confidence in Donald Trump.

<
<http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/23/woman-who-bought-presidenttrumpcom-for-9-hop
es-to-sell-it-for-100000.html>
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/23/woman-who-bought-presidenttrumpcom-for-9-hope
s-to-sell-it-for-100000.html>

What Brexit Means For Domain Investors

Well, the news is out! Britain has just exited the European Union and the
global financial shockwaves are only rumbling through the markets. It's only
been hours since the announcement but what does this mean for Domain
Investors?

<
<http://whizzbangsblog.com/index.php/article-archive/article-archive/entry/w
hat-brexit-means-for-domain-investors>
http://whizzbangsblog.com/index.php/article-archive/article-archive/entry/wh
at-brexit-means-for-domain-investors>

Using Analytics to Price Domains - Part 4

In the last article in this series I began to unpack the importance of the
demand curve for accurately pricing domain names. My experience with domain
sellers is that most of them price their domains more by gut then attempting
to apply a process. In this article I want to move my line of thinking
forward to help sellers more accurately price their domains and buyers know
if their getting a fair deal.

< <http://whizzbangsblog.com/index.php/article-archive/article-archive>
http://whizzbangsblog.com/index.php/article-archive/article-archive>

Pair of Numeric Domains Top This Week's Sales Chart - One Rakes in Six
Figures to Rank Among the Year's Top 10

... We have a nice six-figure sale to kick things off with. NameJet closed a
$201,100 sale of 281.com that, in addition to topping this week's chart,
ranks among the ten biggest sales reported so far this year. The runner-up
spot went to another numeric domain - 6464.com - that changed hands for
$65,358 via SnapNames.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2016/20160622.htm>
http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2016/20160622.htm>

**********************

ONLINE TV, MUSIC & PIRACY

**********************

Siteblock: Pirate Bay, Torrentz, IsoHunt under spotlight in Australian
website-blocking test case

The first test case for the Government's website-blocking laws is underway
in the Federal Court in Sydney, with copyright holders pushing to make it
easier to shut down alternate pathways to file-sharing websites.

<
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-24/pirate-bay-torrentz-under-fire-in-web
site-blocking-test-case/7541714>
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-24/pirate-bay-torrentz-under-fire-in-webs
ite-blocking-test-case/7541714>

au: Foxtel pushes to prevent workarounds in piracy site-blocking case

Australian pay TV provider Foxtel and media company Roadshow Films have
continued their bid to get several ISPs including Telstra, Optus, M2, and
TPG to block access to five foreign piracy websites through an Australian
Federal Court order, with matters getting bogged down while the court
struggled with the definition of "online location".

<
<http://www.zdnet.com/article/foxtel-pushes-to-prevent-workarounds-in-piracy
-site-blocking-case/>
http://www.zdnet.com/article/foxtel-pushes-to-prevent-workarounds-in-piracy-
site-blocking-case/>

au: Pirate website blocking: Court to wrestle with definition of 'online
location'

The cost of complying with an injunction compelling ISPs to block access to
a number of pirate websites, the costs of legal proceedings, and how to deal
with mirror and proxy sites are the key areas of difference between Foxtel
and Village Roadshow on one side and a group of ISPs on the other, according
to Richard Lancaster SC.

<
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/602293/pirate-website-blocking-cour
t-wrestle-definition-online-location/>
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/602293/pirate-website-blocking-court
-wrestle-definition-online-location/>

au: Telcos argue costs of compliance and workarounds process in piracy
website blocking

ISPs Telstra, Optus, M2, and TPG have argued that they should not have to
bear the costs of compliance in implementing website blocks in their case
against Australian pay TV provider Foxtel and media company Roadshow Films.

<
<http://www.zdnet.com/article/telcos-argue-costs-of-compliance-and-process-f
or-workarounds-in-piracy-website-blocking/>
http://www.zdnet.com/article/telcos-argue-costs-of-compliance-and-process-fo
r-workarounds-in-piracy-website-blocking/>

Studios & ISPs Clash Over Aussie Pirate Bay Blockade

The Pirate Bay and other leading torrent sites will be eventually blocked in
Australia but the mechanics are far from decided. This week rightsholders
and ISPs have been in court fighting over the details. Predictably they're
poles apart, and still arguing over who will pay.

<
<https://torrentfreak.com/studios-isps-clash-over-aussie-pirate-bay-blockade
-160624/>
https://torrentfreak.com/studios-isps-clash-over-aussie-pirate-bay-blockade-
160624/>

**************************

BRAND PROTECTION & INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

**************************

Who owns hashtags and can you trade mark your own?

Hashtags have become a powerful social media marketing weapon in the battle
for consumer attention and brand engagement online.

<
<https://mumbrella.com.au/who-owns-hashtags-and-can-you-trade-mark-your-own-
375766>
https://mumbrella.com.au/who-owns-hashtags-and-can-you-trade-mark-your-own-3
75766>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport>
https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home