[DNS] auDA domain news - 29 August

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 00:27:11 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Spurned applicant crowd-funding to fight ICANN for .gay gTLD

<
<http://domainincite.com/20896-spurned-applicant-crowd-funding-to-fight-ican
n-for-gay-gtld>
http://domainincite.com/20896-spurned-applicant-crowd-funding-to-fight-icann
-for-gay-gtld>

Are .mail, .home and .corp safe to launch? Applicants think so

<
<http://domainincite.com/20911-are-mail-home-and-corp-safe-to-launch-applica
nts-think-so>
http://domainincite.com/20911-are-mail-home-and-corp-safe-to-launch-applican
ts-think-so>

FBI-Controlled Megaupload Domain Now Features Soft Porn

<
<https://torrentfreak.com/fbi-controlled-megaupload-domain-now-features-soft
-porn-160826/>
https://torrentfreak.com/fbi-controlled-megaupload-domain-now-features-soft-
porn-160826/>

**********************

ICANN

**********************

ICANN and LACTLD Deepen Cooperation and Promote Greater Regional Involvement
in Internet Policy Development

ICANN and LACTLD, the Latin American and Caribbean ccTLDs Organization,
signed a MoU in which they agreed to explore opportunities to collaborate on
topics of common interest.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2016-08-25-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2016-08-25-en>

Letter from .HOME Registry Inc. et al.,.HOME Registry Inc. et al., to the
ICANN Board

New gTLD Applications for .HOME, .CORP, and .MAIL

<
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/home-registry-inc-et-a
l-to-icann-board-24aug16-en.pdf>
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/home-registry-inc-et-al
-to-icann-board-24aug16-en.pdf>

Another Government Land Grab in the Name Space by Farzaneh Badii

Since 1999, governments have asserted sovereignty over the delegation and
re-delegation of ccTLDs at ICANN. Such assertions have no basis in
international law, but that does not stop them. Now, ICANN has paved the way
for them to assert sovereignty and property rights over two letter domains
at the second level domain of new gTLDs (2LSLDs). This can even lead to the
assertion of disguised ownership claims over common English language
propositions such as ?in? (.IN is the ccTLD of India).

<
<http://www.internetgovernance.org/2016/08/26/another-government-land-grab-i
n-the-name-space/>
http://www.internetgovernance.org/2016/08/26/another-government-land-grab-in
-the-name-space/>

NRO statement on IANA Intellectual Property Rights

The NRO has reviewed the IANA Intellectual Property Rights Assignment
Agreement, the IANA IPR License Agreement and the IANA IPR Community
Agreement, as published for comment, and finds that these IPR agreements
meet the requirements of the numbers community, as expressed in the CRISP
Proposal.

<
<https://www.nro.net/news/nro-statement-on-iana-intellectual-property-rights

https://www.nro.net/news/nro-statement-on-iana-intellectual-property-rights>

**********************

ccTLDs & gTLDs

**********************

at: Mailing to domain holders: New registration guidelines

With the upcoming introduction of short domains under .at new nic.at
registration guidelines will come into effect. nic.at therefore informs all
holders of .at domains about this legal change with an electronic mailing
these days.

<
<https://www.nic.at/en/aboutnic/current-issues/nicat-news/news-view/article/
e-mail-an-domaininhaber-neue-registrierungsrichtlinien/?cHash=5921db9c4885f5
08d0af6f96cff29732>
https://www.nic.at/en/aboutnic/current-issues/nicat-news/news-view/article//
e-mail-an-domaininhaber-neue-registrierungsrichtlinien/?cHash=5921db9c4885f5
08d0af6f96cff29732>

Is The Policy Change In China Going To Help VeriSign's Top-Line?

In the last quarter, it was revealed by the Chinese government that
registrations for .com and .net names will now be allowed in the country.
This will be the first time that non-Chinese registries are to be allowed in
the most populous country in the world. This marks a huge opportunity for
VeriSign as the company now has the potential to increase sales in the
region at an unprecedented level given the global popularity of the TLDs in
question.

<
<http://www.nasdaq.com/article/is-the-policy-change-in-china-going-to-help-v
erisigns-top-line-cm667925>
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/is-the-policy-change-in-china-going-to-help-ve
risigns-top-line-cm667925>

Learning from Chinese domain market data

Yesterday I collected and then presented data from CNNIC surveys on Chinese
domain names. Now I?d like to look at the data and see if we can find some
trends. While data on .cn is available since 1996, I have not found the same
for other extensions until 2005.

<
<http://tldinvestors.com/2016/08/learning-from-chinese-domain-market-data.ht
ml>
http://tldinvestors.com/2016/08/learning-from-chinese-domain-market-data.htm
l>

Sunrise Period for .DOCTOR starts

The .DOCTOR new domain name extension is a good match for Doctors with a
website. We use the two words in Spanish: "doctor" and "m?dico" so it can be
a good match for Spanish speaking persons too.

< <http://www.gtld.club/2016/08/sunrise-period-for-doctor-starts.html>
http://www.gtld.club/2016/08/sunrise-period-for-doctor-starts.html>

Is .shop set to HAVE a record-breaking sunrise?

.shop is sitting firmly among the top new gTLD Sunrise phases, and with
seven days still remaining, over 850 domain names have been applied putting
us ahead of .london the most successful (non-adult) new gTLD Sunrise in the
program so far.

< <http://www.gmoregistry.com/en/gmonews/detail.html?n=2016082115>
http://www.gmoregistry.com/en/gmonews/detail.html?n=2016082115>

<
<http://shoptld.weebly.com/blog/is-shop-set-to-have-a-record-breaking-sunris
e>
http://shoptld.weebly.com/blog/is-shop-set-to-have-a-record-breaking-sunrise

.shop-Registry: Interview with CEO Hiro Tsukahara

.shop is the most anticipated Top-Level-Domain launching in 2016. On 26
September 2016 the General Availability for .shop starts. To ease the
waiting we have interviewed Hiro Tsukahara, CEO of GMO Registry Inc., the
company that manages the Top-Level-Domain .shop.

<
<http://blog.united-domains.de/2016/08/shop-registry-interview-with-ceo-hiro
-tsukahara/>
http://blog.united-domains.de/2016/08/shop-registry-interview-with-ceo-hiro-
tsukahara/>

Everything you need to know about the .shop early access program

The grand opening of the .shop - the global home of ecommerce - is almost
upon us! Next Thursday September 1 at 15:00 UTC, we throw open the gates and
warmly invite all to participate in the .shop Early Access Program.

<
<http://shoptld.weebly.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-shop-e
arly-access-program>
http://shoptld.weebly.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-shop-ea
rly-access-program>

VNNIC and NZRS work together on Vietnam DNSSEC plan

>From 22 -25/8/2016, two experts from NZRS, the registry of .NZ paid a
working visit to VNNIC to work on the Vietnam DNSSEC deployment project
which had been approved by the Minister of Information and Communications.

<
<http://vnnic.vn/en/about/news/vnnic-and-nzrs-work-together-vietnam-dnssec-p
lan-22-8-2016>
http://vnnic.vn/en/about/news/vnnic-and-nzrs-work-together-vietnam-dnssec-pl
an-22-8-2016>

Weekly Launch Guide August 29, 2016

.BANK is going to allow the registration of the majority of 1 and 2
character domain names starting September 15th, 2016.

<
<https://www.cscdigitalbrand.services/blog/weekly-launch-guide-june-2016-cop
y-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-2/>
https://www.cscdigitalbrand.services/blog/weekly-launch-guide-june-2016-copy
-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-copy-2/>

**********************

NEW TLDS

**********************

Spurned applicant crowd-funding to fight ICANN for .gay gTLD

The community-driven applicant for .gay is attempting to raise hundreds of
thousands of dollars via crowd-funding to challenge a series of adverse
decisions that look set to lock it out of running the gTLD.

<
<http://domainincite.com/20896-spurned-applicant-crowd-funding-to-fight-ican
n-for-gay-gtld>
http://domainincite.com/20896-spurned-applicant-crowd-funding-to-fight-icann
-for-gay-gtld>

Are .mail, .home and .corp safe to launch? Applicants think so

ICANN should lift the freeze on new gTLDs .mail, .home and .corp, despite
fears they could cause widespread disruption, according to applicants.

<
<http://domainincite.com/20911-are-mail-home-and-corp-safe-to-launch-applica
nts-think-so>
http://domainincite.com/20911-are-mail-home-and-corp-safe-to-launch-applican
ts-think-so>

Dot Registry backs .africa loser, batters on the ICANN lawsuit floodgates

Rejected community gTLD applicant Dot Registry has waded into the lawsuit
between DotConnectAfrica and ICANN.

<
<http://domainincite.com/20902-dot-registry-backs-africa-loser-batters-on-th
e-icann-lawsuit-floodgates>
http://domainincite.com/20902-dot-registry-backs-africa-loser-batters-on-the
-icann-lawsuit-floodgates>

Singular and Plural new gTLDs

We strongly believe that the SINGULAR version of a new gTLD (new domain
names ending in ?.photo?, instead of ?.photos? for example) will be a
commercial success in the long term. This post reports on singular and
plural new domain name extension registration volumes.

< <http://www.jovenet.consulting/reports/singularandplural>
http://www.jovenet.consulting/reports/singularandplural>

**********************

DNS SECURITY

**********************

The DNSSEC master key securing DNS is about to change. Should we be worried?

This October a group of up to seven VIP cryptographic keyholders will meet
in a windowless secure room in a building in El Segundo, California.

<
<http://www.techworld.com/security/dnssec-master-key-securing-dns-is-about-c
hange-should-we-be-worried-3645538/>
http://www.techworld.com/security/dnssec-master-key-securing-dns-is-about-ch
ange-should-we-be-worried-3645538/>

Inside ?The Attack That Almost Broke the Internet?

In March 2013, a coalition of spammers and spam-friendly hosting firms
pooled their resources to launch what would become the largest distributed
denial-of-service (DDoS) attack the Internet had ever witnessed. The assault
briefly knocked offline the world?s largest anti-spam organization, and
caused a great deal of collateral damage to innocent bystanders in the
process. Here?s a never-before-seen look at how that attack unfolded, and a
rare glimpse into the shadowy cybercrime forces that orchestrated it.

<
<http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/08/inside-the-attack-that-almost-broke-the-
internet/>
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/08/inside-the-attack-that-almost-broke-the-i
nternet/>

How Do You Handle a Swarm of Threats Heading at You?

If you saw a swarm of insects flying at you, what would you do? Most likely
you would be running away or remembering to duck and cover. A swarm of
insects has a lot of similarities to a botnet. Both are comprised of a
seemingly massive number of members and despite one is alive and one is a
collection of enslaved computers, they both exhibit patterns.

< <https://www.arbornetworks.com/blog/insight/handle-swarm-threats-heading/>
https://www.arbornetworks.com/blog/insight/handle-swarm-threats-heading/>

**********************

DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

FBI-Controlled Megaupload Domain Now Features Soft Porn

As part of its criminal case against Megaupload, the U.S. Government seized
several domain names belonging to Kim Dotcom's file-hosting service. Nearly
five years later the authorities still control the domains but they haven't
done a very good job of securing them. Megaupload.org now links to a soft
porn portal.

<
<https://torrentfreak.com/fbi-controlled-megaupload-domain-now-features-soft
-porn-160826/>
https://torrentfreak.com/fbi-controlled-megaupload-domain-now-features-soft-
porn-160826/>

FBI-owned Megaupload.org serves up porn and sex ads

Megaupload.org used to be where you'd go to access the vast amount of films
hosted by Kim Dotcom's Megaupload service. But once Dotcom was hit with US
criminal charges, that site and many others were grabbed by the FBI, and
visiting them produced nothing but a government seizure banner.

<
<http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2016/08/fbi-owned-megaupload-org-serve
s-up-porn-and-sex-ads/>
http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2016/08/fbi-owned-megaupload-org-serves
-up-porn-and-sex-ads/>

**********************

REGISTRAR & WEBHOSTING

**********************

West.cn targets Engrish domainers with new .xyz site

West.cn, the Chinese registrar that has quickly become the highest-volume
seller of new gTLD domains, has turned its attention to the English-speaking
market.

<
<http://domainincite.com/20900-west-cn-targets-engrish-domainers-with-new-xy
z-site>
http://domainincite.com/20900-west-cn-targets-engrish-domainers-with-new-xyz
-site>

Brexit: Vidahost increases domain name fees by a ?third?

Web hosting network Vidahost has reportedly increased the price of its .biz
domain name by a ?third? blaming the UK?s recent decision to leave the EU as
a reason for the increase.

<
<http://www.worldipreview.com/news/brexit-vidahost-increases-domain-name-fee
s-by-a-third-12102>
http://www.worldipreview.com/news/brexit-vidahost-increases-domain-name-fees
-by-a-third-12102>

.UK and .LONDON Promotion

Starting 1 August 2016, Lexsynergy clients who register a .uk domain can
receive the matching .london domain at the same cost as the .uk.

< <http://www.lexsynergy.com/news/423-uk-london-promotion>
http://www.lexsynergy.com/news/423-uk-london-promotion>

Fadas in IE Domain Names? They?re here!

Until now it wasn?t possible to register IE domain names with 'fadas' (i.e.
?, ?, ?, ?, ?) for Irish language words. Now the IEDR has launched a process
to gradually allow names with Irish-accented characters (i.e. ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)
over the next few months.

< <http://www.blacknight.press/134761-fadas-in-ie-domain-names-they-re-here>
http://www.blacknight.press/134761-fadas-in-ie-domain-names-they-re-here>

.uk domains: Optional details for UK companies

In order to comply to Nominet's Data Quality Policy, we will introduce two
new optional parameters for .uk domains on September 12:

<
<https://www.domaindiscount24.com/en/company/news/uk-domains-optional-detail
s-for-uk-companies>
https://www.domaindiscount24.com/en/company/news/uk-domains-optional-details
-for-uk-companies>

New accreditations: .am, .cc, .cl, .fi, .tv, .us and .xxx

Openprovider is always working on new accreditations in order to provide our
customers with the best possible experience with respect to price and
service.

< <https://www.openprovider.com/news/news-2/>
https://www.openprovider.com/news/news-2/>

Price and policy changes .whoswho

The unique model of the .whoswho registry including content and naming
policies appeared not to be too attractive. For that reason, the registry
will simplify its policies and greatly reduce the price of a .whoswho domain
as from the 1st of September.

< <https://www.openprovider.com/price-policy-changes-whoswho/>
https://www.openprovider.com/price-policy-changes-whoswho/>

August 2016 Web Server Survey

In the August 2016 survey we received responses from 1,153,659,413 sites and
5,980,524 web-facing computers. This reflects an increase of 80 million
sites, but a loss of 78,000 computers.

<
<https://news.netcraft.com/archives/2016/08/24/august-2016-web-server-survey
.html>
https://news.netcraft.com/archives/2016/08/24/august-2016-web-server-survey.
html>

**********************

IPv4/IPv6

**********************

Unearthing IPv6 benefits by moving to the cloud

The International Rice Research Institute, a non-profit independent research
and training organization, is no stranger to using IPv6. Its headquarters
(AS17721), based in Los Ba?os, Philippines, has the second highest IPv6
capability in the Philippines, having deployed the service around 2011.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2016/08/26/unearthing-ipv6-benefits-moving-cloud/>
http://blog.apnic.net/2016/08/26/unearthing-ipv6-benefits-moving-cloud/>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

Marketplaces: The Evolving Landscape ? Part 1 of 2

In Part 1 of a 2-part blog on marketplaces, Zac reviews the current global
eCommerce Landscape

<
<https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/marketplaces-evolving-landscape-part-1-2
/>
https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/marketplaces-evolving-landscape-part-1-2/

Marketplaces: The Evolving Landscape ? Part 2 of 2

In the second of two blog postings on marketplaces, Nancy reviews examines
emerging trends, enforcement actions and best practices.

<
<https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/marketplaces-the-evolving-landscape-part
-2-of-2/>
https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/marketplaces-the-evolving-landscape-part-
2-of-2/>

Two domain name conferences on tap for September

We?re just a few days away from September, and that means we?re just a few
weeks away from two domain name conferences.

<
<http://domainnamewire.com/2016/08/26/two-domain-name-conference-tap-septemb
er/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2016/08/26/two-domain-name-conference-tap-septembe
r/>

**********************

DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

Chinese domain name investor getting out, dumps 70,000 .cc domains

A prominent Chinese domain name investor has announced on WeChat that he?s
getting out of the domain name investing business.

<
<http://domainnamewire.com/2016/08/25/chinese-domain-name-investor-getting-d
umps-70000-cc-domains/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2016/08/25/chinese-domain-name-investor-getting-du
mps-70000-cc-domains/>

How do you price your domains?

It?s something I?ve been trying to improve for years now, stripping
emotional attachment out of the equation and focusing on ROI when it comes
to domain pricing.

< <http://morganlinton.com/how-do-you-price-your-domains/>
http://morganlinton.com/how-do-you-price-your-domains/>

Search Dictionary Domain Name Sales by Language!

We have a new addition to the Category filter on the home page today:
Dictionary. That?s right, you can now search NameBio for dictionary domain
sales! We loaded up English and Spanish dictionaries so far and we?re
planning to add more.

< <https://namebio.com/blog/search-domain-name-sales-language/>
https://namebio.com/blog/search-domain-name-sales-language/>

Blockbuster 3-Letter .Com Sale & a Huge New gTLD Sale Lead This Week's Top
20 Chart

We're used to seeing big numbers when 3-letter .coms change hands but this
week's chart topper still managed to scale new heights. In the biggest
3-letter .com sale reported so far this year - and one of 2016's 10 biggest
sales regardless of category - AUS.com was moved in a private transaction
for a cool $345,000.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2016/20160824.htm>
http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2016/20160824.htm>

Part 10 ? Portfolio Management ? Direct Expenses

Most domain investors are very familiar with the direct cost of domain
renewals but from experience, I find that many are not as aware of many of
the other costs associated with running their business. It?s very easy to
get so enamoured with the thought of selling one of your domains for a
million dollars that you forget that time is ticking by and costs are
mounting up.

<
<http://whizzbangsblog.com/article-archive/part-10-portfolio-management-dire
ct-expenses>
http://whizzbangsblog.com/article-archive/part-10-portfolio-management-direc
t-expenses>

Part 11 - Portfolio Optimisation - Revenue Leakage

Revenue leakage mostly occurs when you think a particular setting for your
domain(s) is turned on and it?s not. From experience, we have found that
it?s not untypical to find that between 10-15% of the potential revenue
generated for a portfolio is actually lost due to mismanagement.

<
<http://whizzbangsblog.com/article-archive/part-11-portfolio-optimisation-re
venue-leakage>
http://whizzbangsblog.com/article-archive/part-11-portfolio-optimisation-rev
enue-leakage>

**************************

BRAND PROTECTION & INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

**************************

au: Ugg boot-makers take trademark battle to court

A Sydney Ugg boot-maker is suing the US footwear giant Deckers in a bid to
cancel the US trademark that prohibits Australian companies from selling Ugg
boots overseas.

<
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-27/sydney-ugg-boot-maker-suing-us-footwe
ar-giant/7786578>
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-27/sydney-ugg-boot-maker-suing-us-footwea
r-giant/7786578>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport>
https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home