[Oz-ISP] Re: DNS: URGENT - We must take a stand against Melbourne IT

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 18:47:44 +1100 (EST)
I note Skeeve's concern in this matter.

I have 4 simple queries to Melbourne IT which I feel should be openly
answered if this operation is to gather any degree of confidence in
its integrity as a real service to the Internet community in Australia

1. Why the relatively rapid timetable to charge existing holders of
   domain names?

2. What services does Melbourne IT provide to the registered party for he
   fee charged?

3. Will Melbourne IT expose its accounts to public scrutiny in
   operating this service?

4. What will happen to financial surpluses generated by this activity?

Thanks,

  Geoff

> +You seem to be seriously misinformed.  The Pricing Policy under which
> +COM.AU DNA operates, which includes the renewal fees, was endorsed by
> +the DNS Industry Forum at  meetings in October, before Melbourne IT
> +commenced its commercial bureau DNA service. The timing of
> +re-registration is an operational matter under the delegation of the
> +COM.AU DNA. We placed Public Notices in the national newpapers on 1 and
> +2 November, giving three months' notice of the need to renew
> +registrations for COM.AU DNs by 1 February 1997.
----
Email "unsubscribe aussie-isp" to majordomo&#167;aussie.net to be removed.