Re: DNS: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Michael Malone <pariah§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 12:33:18 +0800
> 'BIZ' is a somewhat tacky abbreviation.
>
> '.CO.AU' would be better, as is is a direct abbreviation of 'commercial'.
> This presents a more professional full domain name.

The recently Australian 2L domains are (at this time) all
three letters (COM.AU, EDU.AU, GOV.AU, NET.AU, ASN.AU).
Its using a different standard to the Europeans, which
use all two letter domains where 2ld's exist at all.

> I do not think it is a good idea to have two commercial 2LD's under the
> same TLD. This is only going to confuse people, and there are still
> plenty of free names in the '.COM.AU' namespace.

The COM.AU domain space is already too large, with 90%
of all requests hitting the COM.AU name space. It
is better to have a "flatter" structure, to distribute
the hits a bit better.

There is also the considerations of the US experience.
Over there, if a person gets XYZ.COM, then that's it,
noone else can have XYZ as their sole domain name. So
the result is litigation everywhere.

We need more alternatives. If Mitsubishi Motors gets
mitsubishi.com.au, then it would be cool if Mitsubishi
Electrics (a different company) can get mitsubishi.biz.au
instead.

> How about setting up as a second DNA for .com.au instead?

Unfortunately, this isn't likely to happy for quite a
while yet. This would have been my preference as well
though.

MM