Re: DNS: Re: INET: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Greg Taylor <gtaylor§gil.com.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:02:04 +1000
At 2:34 PM +1000 4/12/96, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

>As I said before, my main problem with your proposal is the inconsistency
>of having two commercial domains which do essentially the same thing.  If I
>want to find Microsoft Australia, it seems logical to look at
>www.microsoft.com.au.  To have to check www.microsoft.biz.au seems rather
>redundant and would probably mean most companies would go for both.

I agree.  While the proposal to compete with Melbourne IT is sound, I'm
not sure that this is the solution.

Companies that already have, or propose to obtain, a com.au domain, will
have to seriously consider reserving the same name in the biz.au domain,
firstly to ensure that they can be found under either name, and secondly,
and perhaps most importantly, to prevent another entity from acquiring
rights to the name.  We certainly don't want to go down the track of the
USA where domain names are being acquired for speculative purposes.

I'd prefer to see competition for com.au registry services, in preference
to another business domain.  I have yet to see an explanation as to why
this cannot happen now.  Who is holding us all to ransom?

Greg

Greg Taylor                                  Brisbane Australia
gtaylor&#167;gil.com.au             http://www.gil.com.au/~gtaylor/>
EFA Board Member