Re: DNS: Re: Domain Names - .COM - what a DNA can fear/expect. eventually - forinterest.

From: Tom Minchin <tom§iacom.com.au>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 10:26:10 +1100 (EST)
> Simon Hackett Wrote:
> > >
> > >Fry's fights for 'Frys'
> > >
> > >Electronics giant sues Frenchy Frys owner for rights to domain name
> > >
> What if we were to make it a condition of registering under iether 2ld that
> the prospective domain names under different 2ld's - ie frys.com.au, and
> frys.biz.au be owned by entirely different corporations?
> This gives the ability for more than one to have the domain they want
> (within reason), and not have to fight for it.

What will happen is "widget.com.au" will sue "widget.biz.au" (a newcomer)
for diluted their name. What most of the court battles in the US have been
about is the actual name (ie "widget"), not the domain extension (".com.au").

Do you really think Telstra's Fish and Chip Shop (lovely lady) can have
the domain "telstra.biz.au" without a visit from the dogs of law?

Having biz.au will allow more identical names, however, it'll sure open
up a great gold mine for lawyers ("(s)he's using your good name and reputation
without your permission!"). I wonder if there will be an iinet.biz.au and
an internode.biz.au - and who will register them.

tom&#167;iacom.com.au