DNS: Re: Renewal Notice for iinet and invoice number iinet-1

From: Michael Malone <pariah§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 21:47:24 +0800
> This message is sent to you as the currently registered Administrative
> Contact for the iinet.com.au Domain Name.

An open letter to Melbourne IT,

Thank you for sending your reminder out on Christmas Eve,
the last business day before you close until the New Year.
Putting an incorrect return address in was also a
wonderful way of avoiding any increase in support load
due to any misguided attempts to respond. This Christmas
wish is truly thoughtful and will no doubt leave all
prospective clients being very impressed. Personally,
we send our invoices after Christmas, but that's a business
decision made by a company operating in a competitive
environment.

We are currently planning to hold all payments for existing
domains until after the establishment of a competitor within
COM.AU has been further investigated. We have sought legal
advice about Melbourne IT's right to remove our domain if we
fail to pay, and our advice is that it would be unconscionable
conduct and open MIT to considerable recourse. We are advising
all clients to withhold payment on the three hundred odd COM.AU
domains connected through us.

You will also find that use of an incorrect return address
has just removed any chance of you closing peoples' domains
without considerable risk. The resultant confusion will not
be resolved by simply sending another one.

Of course, we will continue to pay MIT for new registrations
and trust that this response will not damage our relationship
with MIT, especially given the utter incompetance displayed
by connect.com.au in processing net.au (or failing to process)
delegations since December the first.

Enjoy your Christmas. I wish all COM.AU holders a happier
new year.

Regards

Michael Malone