Re: DNS: COM.AU reminder messages for renewal of registrations

From: Gary Oliver <gary.oliver§ooo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 10:17:39 +1100
dna_notification&#167;dna.MelbouneIT.com.au wrote:

> As part of the COM.AU bureau process for renewals of Domain Name
> registration the bureu will be contacting existing unregistered domains
> to advise them of the requirements and procedures for renewing the
> registration.
>
> The mechanism of contacting the unregistered domains will require that we
> send email to the current administrative contact for the domain.  We
> realise thousands of mail messages will be posted in the first instance.
> However we aim by appropriate scheduling of the process not to upset the
> communications.
>
> Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
>
> dna_notification&#167;MelbourneIT.com.au
> COM.AU Bureau
> MelbourneIT
> 3/207 Bouverie Street,
> Carlton, Vic 3053.

I was disappointed to receive the above form letter for 2 reasons:

1. There has been informed discussion in this forum on (a) which line of
the dns entry should be used as the address and (b) the many benefits of
renaming a selected line to something like "contact for dns renewal" so
there was no ambiguity as to who should be the recipient. I am grateful
to Geoff Huston for confirming my original inquiry in this area when I
originally posted these points.

2. The arbitrary choice of a blanket renewal date of February overlooks
the fact that the bulk of people commenting on this forum have advocated
an anniversary date of registration and the majory of people have
commented that they can advise what that date is.

Once again I challenge you to address these issues and rescind the
draconian February renewal rules previously announced.

Nevertheless, Seasons Greetings
Gary