Re: [Oz-ISP] Re: DNS: Re: [Fwd: Domain Name Policies: Next meeting of the DNS Forum]

From: matt <matt§squirrel.net.au>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 23:36:15 +1000 (EST)
On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Ross Wheeler wrote:

> From: Ross Wheeler <rossw&#167;home.albury.net.au>
> To: aussie-isp&#167;aussie.net
> Cc: aussie-isp&#167;aussie.net, dns§intiaa.asn.au
> Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 21:51:04 +1100 (EST)
> Subject: Re: [Oz-ISP] Re: DNS: Re: [Fwd: Domain Name Policies: Next meeting of the DNS Forum]

> > > I have temporarily added 2 MX records to the com.au zone file which will
> > > ensure that mail send to melbouneit.com.au DOES get through to us.
> >
> > Andrew. As a PISP, we can have this processed for you in 24 hours if
> > you like :>
>
> As a pissed ISP (ie, one who is more than a little annoyed with the
> make-up-the-rules-as-you-go attitude of MelbourneIT), I'd like to know
> how they can have TWO domain names for the same company? It's
> specifically against their own rules.
>
> Does that mean that if I send out e-mail to 500 people, and "accidently"
> put a return address of something like "canberra.com.au", I can ask them
> to IMMEDIATELY create name space for me? After all, there is now a
> precedent (sp?) for it.

although i initially didn't voice my opinion on this matter, i am
obviously not alone. my thoughts are as follows.

i agree. melbourne it shouldn't have made this mistake in the first place.
and even under the circumstances, throwing MX records into the .com.au
zone file is simply not on. this action does violate the policies that
clearly state there must be a demonstrated relationship between the
requested domain name and the company name, and it also states one name /
person. just how many other rules have melbourneit broken??

it doesn't really instill faith into providers who are still edgy about
dealing with melbourneit, does it ?

although it corrected the problem, a problem that shouldn't have happened
in the first place. and automated mass mailings at christmas time is
pretty dumb in itself, "anything that can happen , will happen" leaving
no-one responsible over the christmas period in case something like this
did happen. anyway, as i was saying, although it corrected the problem,
melbourneit should be treated just like any other person who wants to
register a domain name, just because they screwed up doesn't make them
exempt from the rules as far as i'm concerned.

what can be done about this?

does kre know about this?

does kre care?

does this mean melbourneit can just play with the zone file as they
please?

if they are exempt from the rules, why aren't i ?

next time i make a typo, can i bend the rules as i please?

did they even get charged themselves for this domain name?

did they follow the 24 hr , 3 day and 10 day policies that apply for a
domain name? (given the fact there is no info in the aunic registry, i'd
say not)

how many other rules were broken along the way?

so many questions. so few answers.

i'm concerned at the fact they can just play with the com.au zone file, i
mean hey, if you piss melbourneit off too much, i wonder if your domain
name could be removed from the zone file, just as easily as this one was
added , without following correct guidelines?

kinda hypocritical me thinks.

Matt Carter

Systems & Network Adminstrator.

--
Matt Carter                   | Squirrel Software Technologies pty/ltd
Email: matt&#167;squirrel.net.au   |