Re: DNS: Code of Practice desirable for ISPs

From: Brett Caird <brettc§bit.net.au>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 07:42:24 +1000
At 19:43 7/02/97 +1000, you wrote:
>Michael Malone wrote:
>>
>> A number of ISPs are in the process of preparing a complaint
>> for the ACCC and the Minister. As you say, there are a lot of
>> questionable issues, and legal clarity would assist all involved.
>>
>> MM
>
>Michael
>
>You are perfectly entitled to register such a complaint. I would ask you
>to bear in mind that any enquiry by the ACCC is bound to raise the issue
>of the retail fees charged to end users by ISPs for the com.au domain
>names received at no charge from the DNA in the past.

I have to admit I had a bit of a giggle when the uproar over charging began
and the question was asked of ISPs who were complaining that the service
should remain free (of which we were one... who wasn't?), "So what do you
charge for this service which you have less responsibility for than the
group whose charging practices you are complaining about?"

I won't go into that issue too much, though it is food for thought.  The
difference is that the "retail" charging still fitted a competitive model,
you had a choice of who to go to.  If somebody wanted to blow the market out
of the water and undercut everyone they could have.  Any clown with some
basic tech. knowledge could even set up their own Domain Name registration
and Serving business and charge whatever they wanted for it, then let market
forces decide...

>We at Melbourne IT have received several complaints from end users about
>fees charged at levels which truly deserve the description
>"extortionate". The record so far is $1,200 (yes, one thousand two
>hundred dollars for simply reserving a com.au domain name, received at
>no charge from the DNA,  for a client) - and this happened during 1996.
>The minimum retail charge by ISPs for reserving a domain name would seem
>to be typically $200, and it would not be unreasonable for the ISP to at
>least pay $75 for one year's renewal on behalf of the client out of that
>payment.

For the record our minimum charge was less than the figure quoted so when
MelbourneIT started charging, we had to just pass on the cost in addition to
our fee.  We also don't charge an ongoing.  I don't support minimum cost
operators undercutting the market, but I like people to have a choice.  And
when it comes to infrastructure services, I believe near cost charging and
operation is a responsibility.

>May I suggest there is scope in the DNS Working Group you are currently
>convening,  for establishing an Industry Code of Practice for ISPs? I am
>sure that the many responsible ISPs in the industry would welcome some
>industry self-regulation in this area.
>
>PG
>
>---
>Professor Peter Gerrand
>CEO Melbourne IT
Cheers

Brett

----
Brett Caird		Chief Executive/Director
brettc&#167;bit.net.au	http://www.bit.net.au/
Brisbane Internet Technology Pty Ltd
"Its easy to be patient if you haven't got anything better to do."