Re: DNS: Domain Names for Sale (fwd)

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:34:01 +1100
Andrew,

If you check with the Internic on any of these names you'll see
that they are listed with a status of "On Hold".

In essence the applicant (a Kevin Crouse, on a Brisbane
telephone number) has recently applied to the Internic for a name but as
far as I can tell the status of "On Hold" implies that this
party has provided no money with the application.

Now the issue here is that as far as I am aware the Internic
do NOT support domain name trading, so the validity of the attempted
transfer from the registered owner, who is listed
as: "Kevin D. Crouse. Intnl. 371 Queen St, Brisbane"
to any purchaser must be called into question.

Perhaps someone who is sufficiently motivated should request
information from the Internic in the States as to whether
they would recognise the validity of any such sales transactions,
and if not perhaps a complaint with an appropriate
Queensland Consumer body and/or a national body would be reasonable.

Perhaps some parties (Super League) may also feel that these
actions infringe on existing Australian trademarks.