Re: DNS: ADNA Memoranda & Articles

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 14:01:26 +1000 (EST)
] Geoff Huston, shaped the electrons to say:
] +
] +I see no reason whatsoever I should pay personal money from
] +my bank account for a role I undertake as a volunteer and
] +a function that is undertaken without cost. So its not
] +going to happen.
]
] i did bring up the points at the meeting that certain DNA's should be given
] exemption of the licence fee assuming they were to remain free... suggested
] were edu.au, gov.au, org.au and asn.au (as well as conf.au/telememo.au/
] csiro.au/oz.au)

What about id.au, which contains a mixture of free and fee-paying DNAs?
I would be more inclined to have a list of licence fee based sub-domains
of au (just com.au and net.au, at this stage, I presume), and then as
part of the creation of a new *.au sub-domain, ADNA would decide whether
a licence fee would be payable, and if so, add it to the list.  Obviously,
there would also need to be interaction with the proposed DNA(s).

To me, this is easier than saying by default have fees for everything in
*.au, and then exempt case-by-case.  Especially since most cases would be
exempt.

] +Is the entire concept of ADNA broken? I'm not sure, but
] +certainly in its current incarnation I see no way I can
] +ever play within its structures even if I possibly wanted
] +to.

The idea that seems to be coming out of IntIAA looks like a dauntingly
high-budget approach.

If having ADNA is going to cost such large amounts of money (as opposed
to being largely volunteer-based), then perhaps we should investigate
whether international bodies like IAHC, ISOC etc would be prepared to
provide the legal umbrella/infrastructure for *.au, and have a group of
respected Australian volunteers researching/advising on Australian issues.
David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  http://www.cyber.com.au/  +61 3 9642-5997
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management