Re: DNS: ADNA Memoranda & Articles

From: Michael Malone <mmalone§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 20:55:11 +0800
I suppose the real problem is with the decision being
left open ended.  I am unlikely to relinquish asn.au
on the understanding that I will receive an "exemption
from charges" at the board's discretion.

A pertinent question is "why should I receive such
an exemption" anyway? Because I do it for free?

What if someone decides to provide COM.AU domains for
free.  What if connec.com.au was still doing NET.AU for
free.  Are we suggesting that they would be charged a
fee for providing this free service? Why should they
be charged?

I think the ultimate reason is because funding has to
come from somewhere.  This is unfortunately not really
acceptable to any reasonable person.

In the end, the only fair result is a fairly even
handed treatment of each DNA.  Probably the only
way to do this would be as a flat percentage of
fees.  So if M-IT chooses to charge $125 per domain,
and they register 6540 domains this year (all easily
visible to an external authority), then X percent
of this is levied.

On the other hand, if someone else decides to do it
for free, while meeting the same "rules" that M-IT
must adhere to, then they should be charged nothing.

Time is running very short.  If we wish this meeting
in five days to actually create a body, these last minute
questions probably do need to be addressed.

Is sponsorship an answer?  Are there enough bodies who
would consider this worth the investment of a no strings
attached donation? Are there any other alternatives?

MM