Re: DNS: ADNA Memoranda & Articles

From: Michael Malone <mmalone§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 08:49:33 +0800
> Well lets develop your percentage of charges suggestion,
> and take the starting premise that some body were prepared
> to operate a com.au registry for free.
>
> Would the ADNA concept survive? I can't see how.

It comes back to the question asked at the last meeting: what
does ADNA need all the money for anyway?  If its a technical
oversight body, as it should be, then it needs very little
income; in the order of a few thousand dollars per year.

ADNA should not be a lobbying or advisory group.  There are
other entities around that can do that (INTIAA, ISOC-AU, EFA
and so on).  It certainly shouldn't need paid employees.

The body's real tasks will presumably be:

1) To approve the creation of new 2LD's in .AU
2) To appoint new domain administrators.
3) To ensure that documented policy is being adhered to.

I still maintain that these tasks can be done in a
technical working group format, with minimal overhead.
The same way its being done right now.

> I get back to my original conclusion a weeks ago - the ADNA
> concept looks broken to me.

Perhaps its just some interpretations that are broken.

MM