Re: DNS: Draft selection criteria for new DNAs and 2LDs

From: Leni Mayo <leni§ais.com.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 23:06:06 +1000
Michael, the model you suggest doesn't seem to support different web
shop-fronts for DNAs, which is essential to allow customers a choice in
price+service.

Why not just a standard "front-end on a database" client/server model:

DNA             Web shop front + customer front-end
Client          approval/rejection of application
                Submits application to 2LD NIC.

2LD NIC         Central repository with FCFS operation
Server          applications only accepted from DNAs
                Very reliable operation.

The race condition problem seems identical to your proposal in that the
customer isn't sure they have the name until approval.

The exact mode of communication between the NIC and the DNA shouldn't be
specified as e-mail either.  It should support e-mail, but also a
protocol like ftp or http that's not a store-and-forward service.

Leni.