Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

From: Richard Welykochy <rick§dot.net.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 17:27:46 +1000
Stephen Gillies wrote:

>  Our research has found that more than just a few (around 65% of
>  the users polled who use the internet) will guess the url of the
>  company they are looking for and if they are not successful, they
>  assume that the company in question is not on the net. (ie, wont
>  bother searching.

This does *NOT* suddenly change the original intent of the DNS. It
was not designed to be a business registry.

BTW: Has anyone tried to guess the domain name for an Aussie government
department? Some make sense ... but many can leave you scratching your
head. Same comments apply to .gov.au as to .com.au

>  One of the criticisms of the Dick Smith site for example, is that
>  the URL is www.dse.com.au rather than www.dicksmith.com.au. There
>  are trickier ones, this is just an example. I wonder how many
>  would guess Coke's website?

Tried: www.coke.com  *FAILED*
Tried: www.cocacola.com  *GOT IT IN TWO*

Given some of the proposals I've read in this list, I might eventually
have to try the following:

www.coke.com
www.coke.biz  [.au]
www.coke.tm   [.au]

www.cocacola.com
www.cocacola.biz  [.au]
www.cocacola.tm   [.au]

and even the ludicrous

www.060123987.acn  [.au]

Richard Welykochy
Dot Communications Ltd           tel: (02) 9281 1111
Level 19, 323 Castlereagh St     fax: (02) 9281 2219
Sydney NSW 2000