Re: DNS: ADNA's claim to .AU

From: Kim Davies <kim§west.net.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 20:42:51 +0800
Quoting Glen Turner:

| At present, INTIAA has no oversight, by anyone.  This is
| not appropiate for a body that wishes to be the body that
| establishes policy for .AU.

I assume INTIAA would have oversight by its members. But INTIAA as far as
I know have no plans to run the .au domain space or establish its policy.
INTIAA has only been providing the resources to raise DNS awareness and
discussion that has led to the formation of ADNA.

| The "join us and work from the inside" argument is hardly
| attractive when such a course implies support for ADNA's
| current structure.  I note that at least a third of ADNA's
| six initial full members are "working from the inside".

You don't have to be a member of ADNA to submit your ideas (unless I'm
wrong - but hey, isn't that what we're all doing now on this list?)

| The usual method of obtaining an acceptable structure is to
| negotiate *before* the establishment of the organisation.
| To establish the organisation whilst such negotiations
| were in progress was not a sign of good faith.

From where I've been looking, this discussion process has been going on
for over a year. There appeared to be rough concensus on the proposals
until only a few days before the formation of ADNA, quite some time after
the inaugural meeting of ADNA was called. Much of this criticism of ADNA
has come in after the fact.

Sure, the ADNA concept may be far from perfect. What strikes me is that
those arguing this point aren't actually putting forward suggestions.  All
I can see is people saying "The ADNA proposal isn't the right way to do
it" but I am yet to see some constructive criticism on what _is_ the right
way to do it.

kim