Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

From: Gary R Oliver <gary.oliver§>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 01:24:11 +1000

Thanks for your pithy reply. You must be feeling as exasperated as I do
that the same point keeps having to be made albeit to different people.

Warm regards

At 12:48 PM 6/29/97 +1000, Chris Chaundy wrote:
>At 11:38 29/6/97, David Keegel wrote:
>>I would tend to agree with Simon -- let's just start with
>>But I would also suggest that in fairness to the DNA of, we
>>look a little beyond the short term and start to pencil in some sort
>>of "in principle" suggestion that, once has been `fixed' and
>>it has been demonstrated that the solution is working (initially),
>>we then also turn to and decide whether that is a commercial
>>domain (which I think it is mostly now) and if so negotiate with
>>stakeholders (especially the owner and the operator of to
>>seek to implement the solution (or a variant of it) in also.
>>Regarding new commercial domains, I would suggest that we put on
>>hold suggestions such as (for example) until/unless it is
>>determined that the objectives of cannot be met by reform
>>within (eg: having multiple competitive DNAs within
>>I haven't looked in detail at other suggestions for new domains
>>within au, but I'd propose that consideration of the suggestions
>>should also wait until we see what can be done in  It may
>>be that if is `fixed', then these domains are not needed.
>>As people have been pointing out "rough consensus and running code"
>>is a cornerstone for change in many Internet processes such IETF.
>>I think it would be quite reasonable for the owner of to want
>>to see both before agreeing to actual (as opposed to "in principle")
>>changes in
>>In this case "running code" translates to seeing processes that work.
>>And I think we will find if ADNA sets out a timetable something like
>>        phase 1:  fix problem
>>        phase 2:  generalise to other commercial au domains.
>>        phase 3:  new *.au domains, overall au, legal stuff, etc
>>        phase 4:  all things to all australians (ie: ADNA's Objects)
>>then we will see a "rough consensus" emerge from that.
>>I'm looking at phase 1 and 2 being fairly short term, perhaps (at a
>>wild guess) three months and six months from now respectively.
>Sigh...  When will it sink in?  It seems as though every time we get
>that ADNA should initially concentrate on (which *everyone* agrees
>needs work), and demonstrate that it can do the job, someone pipes up and
>says "and let's put all the other Australian domains into the timetable.
>is the source of disagreement!  ADNA cannot simply 'take' these domains - it
>must be done with the cooperation and involvement of the current
>Set modest goals, achieve them and the rest will follow.
>Chris Chaundy (Network Manager)
> pty ltd, Level 9, 114 Albert Rd, Sth Melbourne, VIC 3205,
>Internet: chris&#167;   Phone: +61 3 9251-3671   Fax: +61 3
Received on Mon Jun 30 1997 - 02:15:38 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Sat Sep 09 2017 - 22:00:02 UTC